all posts post new thread

The Obstacle is the Way (was S&S and PTTP)

Today’s practice

Bike to and from the gym

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats and kb halos - all with 16kg bell

2 rds of 5 deadlifts - 315 for both
2 rds of 5/5 1-arm kb press & 5 bw chin-ups

10 minutes of ground practice - mostly tumbling.

A few days ago I said, “For some reason I can’t help myself when it comes to tinkering. Everything I’m doing stems from Pavel’s teachings. But is it still PTTP and S&S?”

Now, I think my idea of using the Simple Strength (AKA Even Easier Strength) rep/set scheme instead of wave loading is pretty good. It makes it into a “park bench” workout.

But my Tao is move well. Strength is a big part of who I am and I want to keep it. Conditioning is important. And two week blocs of PTTP and S&S work perfectly and give me all kinds of time to do movement skills.

I was thinking today there are a variety of effective programs. In powerlifting very disparate programs such as Sheiko’s volume approach, Simmon’s conjugate approach and Coan’s periodized approach all produced world records. Pick the one that works for your situation and apply it.

In my situation PTTP and S&S work. The magic is not in tinkering - it is in being consistent and focused. There are going to be periods coming up where I won’t be able to do the programs as written - lack of a gym - but two week alternating blocs of strength grinds and conditioning ballistics still works. Occasionally do the FPP. No need to change.

Todays practice

Press reset

Bike 3.9 miles to and from gym

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats & 3/3 kb halos with 16kg kb

2 rds of 5 deadlifts (335 lbs), 120 rope turns, 5/5 kb side press with 16kg kb

20 minutes of movement practice - hurdles, duck unders and brachiate.

Todays practice

Bike 3.9 miles to and from gym

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats & 3/3 kb halos with 16kg kb

2 rds of 5 deadlifts (335 lbs), 120 rope turns, 5/5 kb side press with 16kg kb

15 minutes of movement practice - crawls, traverse, shoulder rolls

Last weight day before my surgery break. Today was Simple Strength 6 singles - “determine the load based on how the weight feels. If it pops right up and feels light - toss on the plates.”

So today’s practice

Press Reset
Ruck 3.9 miles to the gym
3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats & 3/3 halos with 16kg
Deadlift singles - 315, 345, 365, 385, 405, 435
2 rds of 5/5 side press with 16kg

Video here of the 435. I’m reminded of a cartoon in the CPU newsletter. Series of shots from the audience perspective - starts with a guy squatting 5 bumpers per side. “Woah! That’s a lot of weight!!” Last panel had the same weight with competition plates and the audience’s reaction? “Meh”

Anyhow bumpers look more impressive. 405 popped nicely - but I had to shift into a lower gear with 435. So I think my estimate of a second attempt at 465 or 475 was close.

Last edited:
5 days after cochlear implant surgery - it has been a rough ride. I’m having balance issues, but plan on starting press reset to help regain good vestibular function.

Today I did Press Reset and went for a very easy 22 minute walk using a cane for support. I also contacted Tim Anderson of Original Strength. Got some advice and support - he is a great guy.

I was unsteady walking, but didn’t have any bad dizzy episodes. All good. I’m realizing in addition to relearning how to hear I may have to relearn how to balance. I’d gone through some of my kinesiology texts for vestibular rehab and concluded Press Reset should fit my needs very well.

Always good to have someone else ‘coaching’. Instead of a fool (reference to someone coaching themselves). Tim’s stuff is great.

Today is two weeks after surgery. Everything is improving.

Today practice

Press Reset & shoulder rehab

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos and 5 hip bridges with very light kb 15 lbs)

10 rds of 10 swings emom with a 30 lb kb

1/1 getups with a 15 lb kb (I was planning on 5/5, but this proved to be a little too much)

90/90, QL and A-frame stretches

Today’s practice

Press Reset

3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 kb halos, 5 shoulder bridges - 15# kb used

10 rds of 10 kb swings emom with 30# kb

5/5 getups using 6# medicine ball

90/90, QL and crab reach stretches

30 minute trail walk - had to use cane, but it was nice to get into nature more

A fairly active day. I’m resisting doing more intensity in my exercises - but it’s hard. Balance and unsteadiness is still my biggest issue. I was warned it could take a month to regain my balance. I really didn’t appreciate that - it isn’t an issue I’ve ever had.

Today’s practice

Press Reset & shoulder rehab
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 halos, 5 tables (15# kb)
  • 10 rds emom of 10 swings (30# kb)
  • 5/5 partial getups 5 presses and then to post (15# kb)
40 minute easy trail walk - carried a cane but used it sporadically

Later today I’ll do the S&S stretches.

I walk like a drunk. That deliberate stride - purposeful, but too much effort to fool anyone and still slightly unsteady. I need to put the cane down to stop and look around - other than that I’m fine except - I walk like a drunk.

I was doing a getup with the 6# medicine ball and staggered coming up - dropped the ball and almost fell. This was at home. So I decided forget that and did 5 presses and the partial getup to post. I don’t need to scare the daylights out of my wife.

Next two weeks will look similar, but use a 45# kb.

Today’s practice

Superjoints
  • 3 rds of 5 goblet squats, 3/3 kb halos (30#) & 5 tables
  • 10 rds of 10 emom kb swings (45#)
  • 5 rds of 1/1 getups (15#)
3 rds of 90/90, QL & stick shoulder dislocates

Few hrs later - Press Reset

Today’s practice

Press Reset
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet (30#), 3/3 halos (15#), 5 tables
  • 10 rds emom of 10 kb swings (45#)
  • 5 rds of 1/1 getups to post (15#)
  • shoulder rehab with band
  • 3 rds of 90/90, QL & stick dislocates
40 minute hike

Will do SuperJoints later today

Today’s practice
Press Reset & SuperJoints
60 minute trail walk
S&S
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats (30#), 3/3 kb halos (15#) and 5 tables
  • 10 rds emom of 10 45# kb swings
  • 5 rds of alternating 3 kb floor press and 2 partial getups to post
  • 90/90, QL and stick dislocates

Today’s practice

Press Reset

S&S
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats (30#) & 3/3 kb halos (15#)
  • 10 rds emom of 10 45# kb swings
  • 5 rds of 1/1 15# kb getup to post
Then 65 minute trail walk

I will do SuperJoints and easy ‘trifecta’ (from Paul Wade’s Convict Conditioning 2) later

Today more of the same

Press Reset

S&S
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats and 3/3 kb halos with 15 lbs
  • 10 rds emom of 10 45 lb kb swings
  • 5 rds of 1/1 15 lb kb partial getups to post
  • 90/90, QL and stick dislocates
65 minute trail walk

I’ve basically done the press reset, s&s ‘lite’ and walks today every day starting Saturday. It’s been tough due to my balance getting worse, but hopefully getting over the hump.

Back into the gym for the first time since my surgery.

I did S&S
  • 3 rds of 5 prying goblets squats (20kg kb), 40 each way shoulder circles (5lb dbs) and 5 tables
    • I wore my cochlear processor and was worried about banging it with kb halos so I subbed light weight shoulder circles
  • 10 rds of 10 1-arm swings emom (32 kg kb)
  • 10 12 kg kb partial getups to post (alternate sides)
    • I’m still having balance issues and prefer not to take a chance on damaging my shoulder if I lose my balance
  • 3 rds of 90/90 stretch, QL stretch and 1-arm hangs
I did some ground movement as well - kick thrus, crab reaches and base switches - prior to stretching. I have been active at home during the last week - doing S&S lite with my light home kettlebells. Also pull-ups, pistols and pushups. So today felt good and the 32 kg bell popped nicely. Prior to surgery I’d been working up to a 40kg bell. I’ll stick to the 32 for this week and when I come back from my two week holiday I’ll start deadlifting and working on the 40 kg bell.

Today’s practice
  • 3 rds of 5 prying goblets squats (20kg kb), 5/5 kb halos (12kg kb) and 5 tables
    • I wore my cochlear processor, but decided my concern about damaging it was unwarranted
  • 10 rds of 10 2-arm swings emom (32 kg kb)
  • 10 12 kg kb partial getups to post (alternate sides)
    • I’m still having balance issues and prefer not to take a chance on damaging my shoulder if I lose my balance
  • 3 rds of 90/90 stretch, QL stretch and various hangs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom