all posts post new thread

The Obstacle is the Way (was S&S and PTTP)

I re-read several of Pavel’s StrongFirst articles. Including breaking up with your strength tool of choice. My PV workout is going to be Press Reset and Even Easier Strength.

Even Easier Strength looks like:

Strength Aerobics ladders of 1-arm pushups, pistol and 1-arm pull-up progressions. I’ll use Paul Wade’s progression and do harder variations on the 5-3-2 and 6x1 days. Or simply add ladders or rungs. The 1x10 day will either take off ladders or rungs or easier variations. I’ll have to work into before I figure this out.

Hinges are going to be either jumps, bridges or sprints. One or more - or I may just do the bridges as part of my SuperJoints workout.

Gait is crawling - spidermans, ape or lateral ape or crab.

Immediately after a long swim or walk.

Sometime later in the day - SuperJoints. This is essential.

I looked at Tim Anderson’s Press Reset and Easy Strength article, but incorporated Pavel’s preferred ‘strength’ focus. I’m kind of excited to do this for 10 weeks. Of course the movements may change - “same, but different “. Wall support handstand push-up instead of 1-arm push-up for example.

Should be fun.

Last edited:
Tough day today. Full days in the office supplemented with 4-5 hour evening renovation work is taking its toll on me.

So the deadlift was tough. I love the lift, but don’t really love doing it in the morning. I’m stiff and not as strong. That’s another thing about progress - I haven’t improved in the dl (mostly due to invasive surgery for cochlear implant), but I’m doing a weight at 7 am that I was previously doing at 11.

Anyhow, I had to focus today and was reminded - strength needs tension. Really helped pop the weight.

Today’s practice

Press Reset

2 series of 044 protocol snatches with 16kg - total of 40 snatches.

5-3-2 of: dl with 345 lbs, side press with 16kg, pause chin-up, then 100 rope turns

Hangs and crab walks. SuperJoints later today.

I missed yesterday (had yearly breakfast with my old running team - the Stubblejumpers - we had done 7 Jasper to Banff relay together starting in 1989 - couldn’t miss!) But got in my SuperJoints practice. And did some hangs.

Todays practice
  • 3 rds of 5 pry goblet squats, 3/3 kb halos, 5 prying tables
  • 3 rds of 20 32kg swings with 1/1 getups with a yoga pad
  • 10 dl singles with 365 lbs - about 30 seconds walking and fast & loose drills between
  • 3 ladders of 1-2-3 in 16 kg kb side press and strict pause pull-ups
  • More getups, hangs and hang leg raises
  • As always - SuperJoints later today

I’ve been reading Pavel T - a lot - and reread his interview with Tim Ferriss yesterday. I have kept a file I call ‘the Tao’ for years. It can change, but is getting shaped into a pretty succinct framework of my practice. I made some minor changes after re-reading yesterday - mostly because I realized while PTTP and S&S were great - what is important is the principals behind the programs. I feel like I have a handle on what Pavel as a coach or teacher is getting at.

What goes without saying is that most strength is 5 reps or less and conditioning is mostly A&A.

The Tao

Carpe diem - have a zen attitude. Today is a gift.

Base, non-optional practice
  • Superjoints, hang/pullups, trifecta and/or kb mobility
Preferred base practice
  • alternate blocs or days of
    • strength (dl & side press)
    • conditioning (swings or snatches & getups)
No gym alternative
  • strength is pistols & 1-arm pushups
  • conditioning is sprints or jumps/power pushups or burpees
Extra work
  • core & grip
Explore movement - play, explore and have fun
  • walk/hike, swim, Wado Kai karate, sports (throw and catch), Original Strength, MovNat

Back months ago Lais817 said, “Funny how often the old adage "the obstacle is the way" proves to be true.” I re-wrote the Tao after reading my MRI results. I haven’t talked to the doctor yet, but here is the MRI summary.

—————

Left shoulder

FINDINGS: There is a massive, chronic rotator cuff tear with full-thickness component involving the supra and infraspinatus tendons. Both of these tendons are retracted medially, and there is moderate atrophy of the supraspinatus and marked atrophy of the infraspinatus muscle bellies.

The humeral head abuts the undersurface of the acromion.

There is advanced osteoarthritis of the left glenohumeral joint.

There is a full thickness subscapularis tendon tear. There is medial dislocation of the long head of the biceps tendon from the bicipital groove.

Osteoarthritis of the AC joint.

In addition there is labral degeneration.

IMPRESSION: Chronic, full-thickness tears of supraspinatus, infraspinatus and subscapularis tendons with atrophy as described. There is dislocation and long head of the biceps tendon medially.

Advanced glenohumeral osteoarthritis.

Right shoulder

FINDINGS:
There is a full-thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon with medial retraction to the level of the AC joint. There is some mild to moderate atrophy of the supraspinatus muscle belly.

There is a partial thickness tear of the infraspinatus tendon with some fluid extending into the myotendinous junction indicating some intrasubstance delamination.

Due to motion artifact, there is less than optimal visualization of the subscapularis tendon. However it appears irregular and attenuated and I suspect a high-grade partial thickness or full-thickness subscapularis tear.

The long head of the biceps tendon is perched medially on the intertubercular groove. In addition, there is attenuation and increased fluid surrounding the proximal long head of the biceps suggesting partial tearing and tendinosis.

There is fluid in the subacromial/deltoid bursa.

AC joint osteoarthritis.

There is degenerative osteoarthritis of the glenohumeral joint with subchondral cystic change and chondral thinning.

IMPRESSION: Full-thickness supraspinatus tear with medial retraction and moderate supraspinatus atrophy.

Partial-thickness infraspinatus tear with intrasubstance delamination.

Findings suspicious for a full-thickness subscapularis tear with partial tearing of the proximal long head of the biceps tendon and associated tendinosis.

Osteoarthritis of the glenohumeral joint with superior subluxation of the humeral head relative to the glenoid

——————

So. Be interesting to see if the doctor wants to fix this type of damage. Either way - the shoulders are an obstacle - but they can be overcome.

As mikhael suggested - SuperJoints and hanging make shoulders feel better. I’ve got injuries to most of my body - I’ve participated in some rugged sports and activities over the years - my shoulders, ankles and knees in particular have accumulated injuries. But to me the issue isn’t what I can’t do, it’s what I can and how I can continue to do these things.

Last edited:
Went in and did my practice this am. Wednesday. Short and hard. I think during the next week I’ll switch between grinds (like today) and a&a ballistics.

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 3/3 halos and 5 prying yoga tables

10 deadlifts with 365 - 50 rope turns between each rep

3 ladders of 2-3-4 16kg kb side press & pullups

Superjoints later today

Today’s practice

Press reset

Light snatches, then 50 consecutive snatches with a 16kg kb - ‘flip the crazy switch’

Then 3 series of 4 rds of 5 24kg snatches e30o30 - extra rest between series (talk test)

A similar protocol for assault treadmill sprints - 12 5 second a&a sprints

a&a rds of medicine ball twist putt and swings from the hang

Finally, 8 rds of 10 36kg kb swings emom.

This is the ballistic conditioning day. Felt great!

Today’s practice

Press reset

15 dl singles at 315 - about e30o30
3 rds of 5 chin-ups and 5/5 16kg kb side press
Leg raises and hangs

Superjoints later

Abbreviated and easy session - out with friends last night and had a few . Not too many, but got a ride home. Safe is better!!

Today’s (Tuesday) practice

Press Reset
10 rds emom of 10 36kg 1-hand swings
3 series of 2 5/5 8lb medicine ball wall putts and 2 5/5 band rotational swings
3 series of 4 court sprints
My series movements are done in quick and the dead fashion - 033 and 044 protocols
Hangs

Wednesdays practice

Press Reset

10 deadlift singles e30o30 with 375
2 ladders of 2-3-5 rungs in the pull-up, 16kg kb press & 30” box stepups
2 rds of hangs, 90/90 and QL stretch

Later - SuperJoints as a minimum. Possibly crawl or getups.

Snowstorm today and it is my 3rd last day before retiring. So again - abbreviated practice. But it felt great.

I did SuperJoints later in the day yesterday. Today’s practice
Press Reset
10 rds emom of 10 36kg kb 1-arm swings
5/5 half getups with 16kg kb
3 rds of hanging leg raises & pinch grip 35 lb plate farmers carries (about 25 metres)

Another abbreviated day. I’ll do SuperJoints later. I also got a workout in doing a suitcase walk to and from my car with my 40kg kb. I had forgotten I had this at my gym - I’d coached a young power lifter and refused payment so he brought me a heavy kb as a gift.

I can use it to continue my S&S practice at home. So all good. I now have a 10, 15, 30 and 45 pound kb at home, as well as the 40kg bell. If I elect to work out at home I’d add 24 and 32 kg bells. For now - enough. Eventually possibly a 48.

Or continue using a gym.

Went to look over the gym near my new home today. Two platforms. Good selection of bars and bumpers. Crappy kettlebells. 20kg is the heaviest bell. Really a chrome gym. A few bodybuilders - one obviously roided and what Franco Columbo referred to as a ‘lightbulb’. Didn’t see any ‘hard men’ as Pavel would refer to them - no strong women either. Lots of fitness bunnies. Nothing wrong with that, but not my thing. I wasn’t impressed.

20 some years ago I had the privilege of visiting Dr. Mel Siff at a Supertraining camp. He showed a shot of Verkhoshanskey’s gym in Moscow. Small. Cluttered. Plates and bars strewn around. Stall bars. Pommel horse. And in one corner an old universal machine stuck in the corner, abandoned with half the stations inaccessible. Mel told us on the wall at one end was the wall of fame. I think there was just over 250 names on the wall. To get on the wall you had to win a gold medal in the Olympic Games. World championships or world records weren’t good enough. Mel compared that gym to a modern Denver gym - what he called a ‘chrome’ gym. He asked us to guess how many gold medals came out of the chrome gym. Answer. 0

So I’m not a fan. I’m going to have to look at options. But my wife does like the classes and steam room.

Last edited:
Fridays practice

Press Reset
Deadlift singles to 475 lbs
3 ladders of 2-3-4 in pull-ups, 1-arm 16kg kb press and box stepups

I intended to do a 500 lb deadlift on the basis - could be the last barbell dl for me. So I did 3 with 315, 2 with 365 and singles with 385, 435 and then 475. Which was a slow, grinding single. The 435 popped nicely so I was going to record 500 - but I decided to stop at 475. I wasn’t sure I could pull 500 and wasn’t psyched to do a real teeth grinding attempt. So. Disappointing. But we will see.

Today I did S&S by the book at home. 40kg 2-hand swings. 15 lb getups. My wife decided to try it. 30 lb swings for 60 and then went to 15 for the next 40. 10 lb getups. She decided she needs a 20 lb bell. Which is great - I can then get a 60 lb or 28kg which would fit nicely into my collection. She appeared to like the workout but was worried swings would hurt her back. She has chronic hip and back issues. With a careful progression swings could really help.

Last edited:
Monday’s practice

Press Reset

10 emom - 10 1-hand 40kg swings
Max HR - 123
Avg HR - 97

10 15lb kb getups

3 rds of 5/5 30 lb side press and 5 pauses stair pull-ups

Bridges, L-sits and twist holds - the Trifecta

Home workout. I felt I need more to rehab my shoulders. I’ll do SuperJoints later. But added in some presses and pull-ups. I don’t have a bar, but can pull-up on the open stairs for now. Pause at top to help shoulders.

Right now my shoulders won’t support a gymnastics bridge, but I can do a hand support neck bridge.

Tuesday & Wednesday had the same practice - I’ve been doing renovations as well so somewhat abbreviated.

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 5/5 halos - both with 30 lb kb - and 5 tables

10 rds emom of 10 1-hand swings - 60 with 40kg bell and 40 with 24kg bell (new 24kg kb - my son had it sitting in his garage looking lonesome so I adapted it. For now, anyhow!)

10 getups with a 15lb kb

On Tuesday I did SuperJoints - on Wednesday I did Press Reset with some extended movements. Both after putting away my tools.

I did S&S both Friday and Sunday (today). I am re-reading ETK and also came across a video for ETK. When I saw Pavel’s getup - he did not do a high hip post prior to the leg sweep - I realized I could up my getup weight to 30lbs. I think this is beneficial for my injured shoulder - stabilizing the 30 is better for it. So both days:

Press Reset
10 rds of 10 swings on the minute. 60 with 40kg and 40 with 24kg.
10 getups with 30 lbs.
90/90, QL stretch and hangs.

SuperJoints later in the day.

I find it useful to re-read books. Good books anyhow. Every time I go back to Pavel or Dan Johns books or articles I pick up something. My getup used a high hip prior to the leg sweep. The ‘kalos sthenos’ version. But I was being held back by the arm on the ground - the lower shoulder has a lot of pain during the post. That is something I’m working on, but I wasn’t getting a lot of shoulder stability benefits from my very lightweight getup. So using ‘getup any way you can’ variation - similar to what Pavel does in ETK - seems better at this time. I’m doing crab walks and other movements for the shoulder.

Today’s practice (Monday)

Press Reset

3 rds of 5 prying goblet squats, 5/5 halos and 5 tables (30 lb bell for squats and halos)

10 rds of 10 swings on the minute - 60 with 40kg and 40 with 24kg

10 30lb kb getups

Superjoints a few hours later

down in Puerto Vallarta for 70 days. I tried my plan of Press Reset and strength aerobics. The biggest problem is the shoulder - I really need to focus on it. The second problem is the workout area. My pull-ups are done on a beam. So I’ve decided on a challenge.

Press Reset then the PV challenge. Daily - 500 Hindu squats, 100 Hindu pushups and 50 pull-ups.

Yesterday and today I did 100 squats, 50 push-ups, 21 pull-ups and 21/21 hop lunges - Tim Anderson’s bw easy strength start. But I have nothing to carry - not even a rock on site. So I decided to simplify and do the challenge. Plus the pull-ups and squats felt too easy.

I still intend to do either SuperJoints or Maxwells Daily Dozen daily. And walk and/or swim. Did a 30 minute easy swim yesterday and 60 minute walk.

Today’s practice

Press Reset

10 rds of 30 baithaks, 10 dands and 5 pull-ups.
Time - 46 minutes
Max hr (according to Fitbit - take it with a grain of salt) - 154
Average hr - 126

I decided to do baithaks rather than squats - my consult with my doctor suggested there was little chance of connecting the ruptured rotator cuff tendons, so my thinking is the vigorous arm swing of the baithak (AKA Hindu squat) would be good for my long head bicep tendons. I did 300 rather than 500 in the interest of being able to walk tomorrow. I intend to work up to 500 over the first 3 weeks.

The dands were a bastardized dand/pump stretch. I can’t go real low in the pushups - but again they felt great on the shoulder. Do what I can with what I have. Again the obstacle becomes the way.

Yesterday I swam, walked and did SuperJoints with hangs later in the day. Felt great.

Back
Top Bottom