all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The One Arm One Leg Pushup For You

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Now if I could only do the pistol...

By the way, one arm pushups are easy to maintain I've found. You get 'em and you keep 'em.

Now if I could only do the pistol...

By the way, one arm pushups are easy to maintain I've found. You get 'em and you keep 'em.

yup, once you establish that groove you don't really forget it...

you would probably get a lot out of weighted box pistols. i know you have KB. i bet you could do box pistols with a 32kg easy, you're strong.

Hello,

@Kozushi
First off, congratulations for your OAOL PU ! To be honest, this move (and the pistol as well) is extremely easy to maintain. Of course, one can always lose the "peak performance" if one trains especially for it. Nonetheless, the basic skill and strength remain.

If we consider the pistol - but it will be a little out of the original post - something may be interesting to consider. If one weighs 60kg and performs a bodyweight squat in full ROM, we can consider this is roughly 30kg per leg. A pistol is then 60kg per leg. So if one already has a front or back squat with 120kg added, he already has the "raw strength" to perform the pistol. The rest is only a matter of technique and stabilization.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I haven't put much effort into figuring out the pistol yet. It seems to be a balance and technique problem more than a strength one, but once I figure it out it will make me a lot stronger, I expect.

I haven't put much effort into figuring out the pistol yet. It seems to be a balance and technique problem more than a strength one, but once I figure it out it will make me a lot stronger, I expect.

Low volume pistols are great if you want the benefits of heavy squats without most of the disadvantages..

I've discovered that doing pistols in weightlifting shoes on a hard floor makes them considerably easier. Not sure if 'easier' is what you're after though. Nice work on the one-arm one-leg push-up! I might have to post mine and see if it passes.

I'm sure you'll be able do to a pistol quite soon if you care to focus on it. The carryover from the pushups you just did, in learning how to tense your muscles correctly, is significant IMHO.

I'm sure you'll be able do to a pistol quite soon if you care to focus on it. The carryover from the pushups you just did, in learning how to tense your muscles correctly, is significant IMHO.
Yes, it's just about taking the time to focus on it and caring enough to. Hahaha! The problem is that I think my legs are plenty strong already from all the judo, S&S and walking I do! I'm just not motivated!

Speaking of pistols, I think your dorsiflexion might hold you back a bit. I think working on ankle mobility/stretches will make it a lot easier.

I started doing pistols on the edge of a staircase letting my leg stay hanging down on an angle and I didn't have any trouble with the move, then I tried to transfer this to the real pistol on flat ground and it seems to be working.

@Pantrolyx, pistols are generally acknowledged to be harder to bigger people. Not impossible but harder.

-S-

Yes, for sure. :)
Being a fairly tall (although less heavily muscled) guy myself, I do believe that a judoka (with the implied balance and leverage strength) who does one armed/one legged pushups, will be able to do pistols at 100 kg+, with some dedication to it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom