all posts post new thread

Barbell The one workout to rule them all

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
I've been playing around with the broad principles of programs espoused by the likes of Pavel, John, Devany etc and came up with the following.

*Six workouts designed on the principles of the Rule of 10: 2x5 5x2 10x1 532 6x1 10x1
*Three intensities based on averages across the six workouts: 69% 75% 80%
*Ratios in common 1RM calculators are used to determine weights for each set/rep combo
*Periodisation by moving between intensities with a bias to 80%: 25%@69, 25%@75, 50%@80
*Stochastic by choosing workouts and intensities at random across eighteen possible workouts

In a nutshell random numbers determine your next workout within a framework that has you (over time) working out at every set/rep and intensity combination. Doing the same workout twice (or more) in a row would be rare but possible and you would expect workouts over weeks and fortnights to be very different.

For example at three workouts per week a fortnight might look like this:

Workout 1: 5x2 @ 69%
Workout 2: 10x1 @ 80%
Workout 3: 532 @ 75%
Workout 4: 3x3 @ 80%
Workout 5: 6x1 @ 69%
Workout 6: 2x5 @ 80%

The next fortnight would most probably be completely different.

The forum won't let me attach a spreadsheet so I hope the attached PDF gives you the idea. You enter exercises and 1RM. The random numbers tell you intensity and workout. You adjust the actual workout weight to reach the desired intensity (69, 75 or 80). Weights are then calculated for you.

I am interested in any feedback on this approach including design, intensities, set/reps, ratios and even improvements to the spreadsheet!!!!!. Also any thoughts on injection of randomness into workout generally.

Attachments

• Luke Workout Variations 200517.pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 45
All in all I think it's a solid idea. A couple of things come to mind:

I'd like to see bigger jumps between weights in a session and also both up and down on occasion.

I'm also not personally sure I like the idea of only varying the training by the intensity, as in not changing the total volume between the days of different intensity. I understand that a light day is meant to feel light, but 10 reps at 69% feels like I haven't done anything at all. I think it may fly when training 5-6 times a week, but not when only 3 times.

Personally, I'm a bit lost on the exercise selection and a few other things. Don't take my comments as me being a jerk or bashing your set up. This was just my initial thoughts if I were going to run this program. If the layout appeals to you, then run it for at least six weeks and see if you are accomplishing YOUR goals. At the end of the day, we need to be responsible for our own training!

Things like Curls, Tricep Extensions and Lat Pulldowns I feel do not need to be programmed. Treat them as small assistance movements. Pick a weight that feels good for the day and move on. There is also no Squat movement. Even if it's something as simple as a Goblet Squat, keep some sort of Squat pattern. If you are going to go with a Dan John inspired full body set up always remember Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat and Carry.

Conditioning / Cardio also needs to be addressed. Lifting 3 days a week you have plenty of time to squeeze in S&S or some type of sprinting on your off days.

If this is meant to appeal to the "general masses" then you need to state if this is a Strength, Hypertrophy or just GPP work and what is the end goal of this program. This would also effect the conditioning and dieting aspect. Always be ready to explain why you are doing what you are doing.

Lifting is only a small part of the training equation. Diet, Mobility, Programming, Conditioning and Recovery all need to be addressed in a complete program.

If you look at something as simple as S&S, you see all of the basis are essentially covered.

Why not just do Dan Johns 40 Day Program. The programming is already well thought out and done, you just have to do the work. If I were in a position to commit to it, i would definitely do it.

@LukeV, please consider attending a PlanStrong workshop. This is the kind of thing discussed there.

-S-

I agree to do the pull-downs, curls and extensions with higher assistance volume like 3x8-12. I think you would be ok to forgo a squat movement if you get deep in your deads and don't let your hips move faster than your shoulders. I would also alternate sumo and conventional just for balance.

I've been playing around with the broad principles of programs espoused by the likes of Pavel, John, Devany etc and came up with the following.

*Six workouts designed on the principles of the Rule of 10: 2x5 5x2 10x1 532 6x1 10x1
*Ratios in common 1RM calculators are used to determine weights for each set/rep combo
*Periodisation by moving between intensities with a bias to 80%: 25%@69, 25%@75, 50%@80
*Stochastic by choosing workouts and intensities at random across eighteen possible workouts

In a nutshell random numbers determine your next workout within a framework that has you (over time) working out at every set/rep and intensity combination. Doing the same workout twice (or more) in a row would be rare but possible and you would expect workouts over weeks and fortnights to be very different.

The forum won't let me attach a spreadsheet so I hope the attached PDF gives you the idea. You enter exercises and 1RM. The random numbers tell you intensity and workout. You adjust the actual workout weight to reach the desired intensity (69, 75 or 80). Weights are then calculated for you.

I am interested in any feedback on this approach including design, intensities, set/reps, ratios and even improvements to the spreadsheet!!!!!. Also any thoughts on injection of randomness into workout generally.

Non-Linear Periodization Training

I'm a proponent of Non-Linear Periodization Training, more frequent variations in training. However, the variation of training program is guided by different factors.

"Training Age"

The prominent factor is "Training Age". This is defined as the length of time you have been training (months, years).

Novice Lifter's Training Programs achieve greater success with longer cycles involving the same program (Sets, Reps, Exercises, etc). Novice Lifters program should be consistent for 8 - 12 weeks before changes are made.

Advance Lifter's Training Programs obtain better results with shorter cycles; changing Exercises, Sets, Reps, etc more frequently. Training Cycles for this group revolve around making changes approximately every 3 -4 weeks.

This has to do with...

The General Adaptation Syndorome

This simply means the body (all living organisms) adapt. Once adaptation occurs in training, progress stops.

However, changing your training program too often is counter productive to progress.

Example

You training program is tantamount to practicing Soccer one week, Basketball the following week, Cricket the next week, Volleyball the next week, etc.

It does not allow you to develop any skill in any of the above sports; nor does it allow you to optimize your speed, power and/or strength.

With that in mind, let look another alternative...

Conjugate Training

Research by Dr Michael Zourdos support anecdotal data on how combining different type of Strength Training (Limit Strength, Hypertrophy, Power and Speed) elicit a synergistic effect.

Synergistic meaning the sum is greater than it individual parts. It like adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

Zourdos' Finding

Zourdos found that Periodization Training Program that combined "Limit Strength" (1 Repetition Max), Hypertrophy and Power into a weekly program elicited a greater training effect.

Program Design

1) Monday/Hypertrophy Training: Moderate to High Repetition Sets (8 to 20 plus Reps Per Set), Low to Moderate Loads (50 to 80% of 1 Repetition Max), Short Rest Periods between Sets (around 60 seconds) and a Moderate Number of Sets Per Exercise (3 - 6 Sets).

2) Wednesday/Power Training: Explosive Movements with Low Repetition ((1 -5 Reps Per Set), Moderate Loads (40-60% for Conventional Exercises: Squats, Bench Press and 70-80% for Olympic Movements), Moderate Sets (6-10 Sets Per Exercise), Rest Periods between Sets of 30 seconds to 3 minutes.

3) Friday/Limit Strength Training: Same protocol as with Power, with the Exception Load. The Exercise Load of each Exercise need to be 85% plus of your 1 Repetition Max.

Feed Back On Your Program

Your will obtain some results with your program to a point.

However, the key ensure optimal results is a program and continuing to progress is one that elicits the greatest training response.

Summary

1) Select a Non-Linear Periodization Training Progray/Cycle that falls in line with your "Training Age".

2) Employing various Strength Protocols into your program (Limit Strength, Hypertrophy, Power) provide an synergistic effect that will elicit a greater training response; more strength, size and power.

Kenny Croxdale

This looks like it would be fun to work with. I agree with what Steve said earlier: look into the Plan Strong workshop. There is a lot of information from the workshop (and the manual) that will help you program what you're trying to do here. Pavel has researched and provided all the guidelines you'll need to set a program that will vary the intensity and volume dynamics within all training cycles (day, week, month, and month-to-month). Also how it applies to beginners vs. advanced lifters.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom