all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Optimal Wake-Up Routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Water, breathing and light stretching and light house cleaning before daylight. Then I try to get outside at first light…especially this time of year. Many beach sunrise and sand/surf grounding days this Summer so far.

No coffee ?
NO COFFEE? ?

It's interesting now that circadian biology absolutely shines a light on the dark underworld of night owl physiology that I totally rock it late afternoon/early evening.
As a deep rooted 50 something night owl, the societal demands placed on me and my tribe is biased and unfair.
Doing anything before 11 am is an outrageous imposition forced upon us against our will and phenotype.
I'm with the teenagers on this.
Mornings are over rated.

Cold shower first thing, straight in, no easing into it. About 2-3mins at a guess. Then brush the teeth and get a pint of water. Get started with the day.

I don't know if the cold showers do much, I am a pretty skeptical person but I do know that I used to get every cold virus going around thanks to my wife being a teacher to 30+ 6 year olds and my two kids (5 & 7) bringing all the bugs back home with them. But since taking cold showers I haven't had one. I started cold showers about the same time I cut out the majority of processed foods and taught myself to nasal breathe during waking hours. Is it one of these factors that has helped, all of them, or none and I have just been lucky. Who knows. But I feel good.

Final self improvement will come with cutting out the evening alcohol but so far, no can do. Maybe one day.

Cold shower first thing, straight in, no easing into it. About 2-3mins at a guess. Then brush the teeth and get a pint of water. Get started with the day.

I don't know if the cold showers do much, I am a pretty skeptical person but I do know that I used to get every cold virus going around thanks to my wife being a teacher to 30+ 6 year olds and my two kids (5 & 7) bringing all the bugs back home with them. But since taking cold showers I haven't had one. I started cold showers about the same time I cut out the majority of processed foods and taught myself to nasal breathe during waking hours. Is it one of these factors that has helped, all of them, or none and I have just been lucky. Who knows. But I feel good.

Final self improvement will come with cutting out the evening alcohol but so far, no can do. Maybe one day.
Thanks for sharing.

I drink a liter of water upon waking (or, right after bathroom). Then floss and brush teeth. This is pretty much a constant.

From there, I like to keep it somewhat loose. Usually it's downstairs for a cup or two of coffee before work. Sometimes it's to the basement to train, or out for a run or a ride. Sometimes it's drive across town for work-related items.

My routine, which has been pretty consistent, is to get up at 4:30 am and go to the bathroom, weigh myself, then have a protein shake with 60mg caffeine and 2.5 grams creatine. Wait 20-30 minutes for the caffeine to kick in and then go get some practice in. What the practice is changes, as I was doing S&S but now am doing PTTP, but if I don't get my strength work in before work it's likely not going to happen that day. After 30-60 minutes of practice, I finish getting ready for work with shower, brushing teeth, etc. and hit the road by 6:30am.

Wake up, glass of water, 10mins OS resets then either workout or jump rope.

Sundays stay in bed as long as possible

During competition season, 6 months of the year, I sleep with a spare barbell under my bed.

When I wake up, the first thing I do is a light mobility routine (hang cleans, rack holds, rack split squats, snatch presses, stiff leg deadlift, side bends, good mornings) using the empty barbell.

Then I do coffee, shower, etc.

My routine, which has been pretty consistent, is to get up at 4:30 am and go to the bathroom, weigh myself, then have a protein shake with 60mg caffeine and 2.5 grams creatine. Wait 20-30 minutes for the caffeine to kick in and then go get some practice in. What the practice is changes, as I was doing S&S but now am doing PTTP, but if I don't get my strength work in before work it's likely not going to happen that day. After 30-60 minutes of practice, I finish getting ready for work with shower, brushing teeth, etc. and hit the road by 6:30am.
Get some ;-)

Looking for suggestions for the best way to start the day / wake the body.

Current options include: Cold shower, breath work, mobility routine, stretching, GGP, running, meditation, coffee etc, etc...

What has had the biggest impact for you?

Any and all suggestions / discussion welcome.
I was never a "morning person" until I became a runner and realized that I needed to get up early if I wanted to survive running in the heat here in the Northeastern US. One can get used to lots of things - experiment.

-S-

All the blood flows to one spot when I wake up every morning, though usually my wife and I end up walking 5-10kms and getting a morning coffee. It’s a great warm up for S&S.

I was never a "morning person" until I became a runner and realized that I needed to get up early if I wanted to survive running in the heat here in the Northeastern US. One can get used to lots of things - experiment.

-S-

I never was a morning person either, until I just had to start getting up early every single morning. Didn't take that long to change in the end.

-S-
Weirdly very helpful. It is surprising what one can get used to. Thanks

Wake up - look out the window for a minute to get some sunshine hit my face - warm water with salt - brush teeth - cold shower - coffee

Wake up - look out the window for a minute to get some sunshine hit my face - warm water with salt - brush teeth - cold shower - coffee
Wish there was sunshine out of the windows when I wake up......ahahahah

Monday 0430hrs rucking 50 mins, shower and coffee, then work.

The rest of the week I try to get up but I usually postpone the wake up till 0600hrs and get some more sleep, then shower and coffee.

I'm a zombie in the mornings, I tried for many years to workout or swim with no success, walking / rucking is fine while listening to radio news.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom