all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Oxygen Advantage / Buteyko experience and results

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@John Kowalski, the difference between what and what, please?

-S-
I mean I feel more relaxed since I started to breathe through the nose during the day, but I wonder how it could be used in the context of intense exercise. I'm not sure if I should stay as relaxed as possible during intense training - it should be a stressor to the body after all

Is it ok to exhale through the mouth?

Not until you are absolutely redlining it. Breathe. Through. Your. Nose.

I mean I feel more relaxed since I started to breathe through the nose during the day, but I wonder how it could be used in the context of intense exercise. I'm not sure if I should stay as relaxed as possible during intense training - it should be a stressor to the body after all

Like Steve is saying, breathing practice will cause you less biological stress during intense activity.

Hi John, I'm a late comer to this thread...here are my ramblings in no particular order :)

I breathe through my nose for all my exercise, intense or otherwise to allow me to control/ gauge my effort level and teach me to be relaxed as possible under physical stress.

Think about elite athletes, the best are the most relaxed (a relative term) at their highest intensities and the best of them make their activity look (almost) effortless.

You stress the body to create physiological adaptions at a range of intensities - 'intense' (I think in your use of the word) AKA 'feels hard' type of exercise does not necessarily equate to a desirable stressor as such.

Breathing through your mouth is like an emergency device, it is effective but use it wisely - and perhaps not just to achieve a so called 'intense' workout.

The nose provides so many benefits, not least of all, an effective feedback mechanism which for some can save them from working at effort levels unsustainable for long-term physical development.

P.S I've worked up to near 90% maximum heart rate breathing through my nose, it's like everything, you gotta practice the good stuff for the benefits to come

Hello,

I have had some sleep problems for some time now, I usually need 9 hours of sleep to feel "OK" and sometimes even that much sleep can't get me energized. I was searching for ways to decrease my sleep time and I found the Buteyko method. Some time ago I was doing it 2 times a day for 30 minutes ( 5 breath holds with 4 minutes in between each, rest for 5 minutes, then do a final breath hold = total of around 30 minutes ) and I felt much better, most of the time I was much more energized. However, I started doing a session once a day, right when I wake up and the problems slowly appeared again.

So, now I'm determined to do them twice a day for life, if possible. My question is, is it possible to build a CP so big, you could sleep for 4-5 hours and get very well rested with only 60 minutes a day? And how much time would this take? Do you know of a way to do the exercises while I'm walking/lifting weights, so I could get a total of another 30 minutes a day on average? And what CP do I need in order to get to those more advanced stages?

Thank you very much and cheers!

And I forgot to ask, what is the optimal rest period for a beginner? 3,4 or 5 minutes? I suppose I could just go for 3 and do smaller CPs, right?

@Saruman, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The most honest answer to your question is, "It depends." Everyone is different. Some people do fine on 4-5 hours of sleep per night but that's only some people. I would say that 6-7 is the minimum recommendation. How much sleep we seem to need depends on many factors, including age - the older we get, the less sleep we seem to need.

When you say "I was doing it 2 times a day," I don't know which practice or exercises you were doing - there are a number of schools with varying lineages back to Professor Buteyko.

You mention losing your good results when practicing only once per day but having good results when practicing more. The school in which I teach recommends two practices per day as a maintenance, each about 15 minutes in total length, but some people do manage with only one, however maintaining on only a single practice a day requires, as you might imagine, a very high level to start and vigorous, disciplined practice.

Yes, there are ways to practice while walking, and yes, there are ways to apply Buteyko breathing techniques to your weight lifting sessions.

Two points in closing - I don't know what you've been doing, and this forum really isn't the appropriate place for detailed discussions of Buteyko breathing. The school in which I teach, and in which several members of the StrongFirst community are now students and teachers, can be found at its online forum at Forum - Advanced Buteyko Breathing - I recommend you pay a visit there, sign up for an account - as here, it's free - and post a new thread or message there.

-S-

@Saruman, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The most honest answer to your question is, "It depends." Everyone is different. Some people do fine on 4-5 hours of sleep per night but that's only some people. I would say that 6-7 is the minimum recommendation. How much sleep we seem to need depends on many factors, including age - the older we get, the less sleep we seem to need.

When you say "I was doing it 2 times a day," I don't know which practice or exercises you were doing - there are a number of schools with varying lineages back to Professor Buteyko.

You mention losing your good results when practicing only once per day but having good results when practicing more. The school in which I teach recommends two practices per day as a maintenance, each about 15 minutes in total length, but some people do manage with only one, however maintaining on only a single practice a day requires, as you might imagine, a very high level to start and vigorous, disciplined practice.

Yes, there are ways to practice while walking, and yes, there are ways to apply Buteyko breathing techniques to your weight lifting sessions.

Two points in closing - I don't know what you've been doing, and this forum really isn't the appropriate place for detailed discussions of Buteyko breathing. The school in which I teach, and in which several members of the StrongFirst community are now students and teachers, can be found at its online forum at Forum - Advanced Buteyko Breathing - I recommend you pay a visit there, sign up for an account - as here, it's free - and post a new thread or message there.

-S-

Thank you, I will.

Just for the sake of clarification, I was doing a CP, reduced breathing for 4 minutes, CP, reduced breathing for 4 minutes and so on for a total of 4 sets of reduced breathing + a final CP after 4 minutes of rest.

Thank you, Al.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I am open to accepting more students and what Al accomplished can be accomplished by anyone committed to improving their breathing and receiving all the benefits that has to offer. Al did it, I did it, and you can, too. It is truly life-changing.

-S-
Steve,

Thank you, Al.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I am open to accepting more students and what Al accomplished can be accomplished by anyone committed to improving their breathing and receiving all the benefits that has to offer. Al did it, I did it, and you can, too. It is truly life-changing.

-S-

I would be interested in becoming a student, @Steve Freides. It's nice you're willing to help people in need without promoting payment of any kind for it.

@Peck'88, I charge to teach private students. Workshops offered by teachers associated with that web site also require payment.

The forum to which I gave a link has a section open to everyone, and other sections that are reserved for paying students. The app we have is also free to use for the first levels but after that, a paid account is required. I encourage anyone interested in learning more about Buteyko breathing to try the app for free and also to post on the free forum with any questions.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom