all posts post new thread

Nutrition The Pavel for nutrition/diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tobi

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey Guys,

is there a person for nutrition/diet who is like pavel for workouts? I like how he can discribe complicated and complex things simple and on point, that his programms are very effective and keept to most necessary.

Greetings

Hey Guys,

is there a person for nutrition/diet who is like pavel for workouts? I like how he can discribe complicated and complex things simple and on point, that his programms are very effective and keept to most necessary.

Greetings
Ooh that's a tough one. Nutrition is like a religion for many with studies to back up just about anything. If you want the most no nonsense nutrition people I recommend www.renaissanceperiodization.com

They try their best to only follow methods that have a large paper trail to back them up.

In the Joe Rogan interview, Pavel mentions Ori Hoffmekler and the book he wrote, The Warrior Diet. I recommend you start by reading that. If you really take in the principles, you will find you have quite a bit of individual freedom in how you practice it. I've been eating this way since I first heard about and read the book. The original version was published in 2001, which is also around when I discovered Power To The People! by Pavel, which was published about a year earlier. I've been a WD follower for close to 20 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-S-

As for dogma-free advice check out:

-Precision Nutrition
-Alan Aragon
-Renaissance Periodization
-Layne Norton
-Jeff Nippard

Probably some more but those came to my mind first.

Fasting is quite popular at the moment but there is nothing special about it in that it doesn't promote any additional benefits that another eating style with the same calories and macros wouldn't provide. First and foremost it is a question of personal preference.

Hey Guys,

Greetings

As Adam And Marc have mentioned, RP are great and worth looking into.

But if you’re after basic advice, in order to help
Keep things ‘simple’, then

- Prioritise Protein
- Eat ‘enough’ calories as per your goal
- Eat carbs and Fats to fill the gaps based on performance and feel
- Keep food choices ‘minimal’

if you’re looking to strip things back, like with Pavel’s KB plans, it’s very difficult to go
Wrong with Meat, Veg, Fruit and some starches.

Fasting is quite popular at the moment but there is nothing special about it in that it doesn't promote any additional benefits that another eating style with the same calories and macros wouldn't provide.
I disagree and strongly so. Fasting is a time-honored tradition with many benefits, all of which have been discussed in many threads on this forum before, and which are also spelled out in the Warrior Diet book and elsewhere.

-S-

1. While I have not used RP myself, I have heard good reviews from folks I know.
2. The Warrior Diet is the "nutrition" book that seems most like something Pavel could have written, both in content and style.
3. If you want a "Program Minimum", I like Dan John's advice: Eat protein and veggies, drink clear water
Blake Nelson

I disagree and strongly so. Fasting is a time-honored tradition with many benefits, all of which have been discussed in many threads on this forum before, and which are also spelled out in the Warrior Diet book and elsewhere.

-S-

This is certainly true when we look at longer fasts (what most people never do or did. Myself included. My longest fast were ~24 h but rather accidentaly and without intention).
So, maybe it would be useful to clarify what I was referring to: I am referring to the typical 16/8 IF fasting style, i.e. not taking in any calories for 16 hours and then eating all of the daily calories within the remaining 8 hours.
There is no strong evidence that this style of eating (IF) offers significant benefits as opposed to having 3-4 evenly spaced out meals if total calories and macro ratios are equated. Rather it should be viewed as a tool. If this is how you can best adhere to healthy eating then absolutely go for it since total calories and macro ratios are more important than timing.

There is no strong evidence that this style of eating (IF) offers significant benefits as opposed to having 3-4 evenly spaced out meals if total calories and macro ratios are equated.
I am not a scientist and not a nutritionist, but I can tell you that the WD approach works great for me. I used to feel dependent on regular feedings, and sluggish after I ate, and now I don't have either problem. For me, the difference is dramatic, the benefits "significant." My eating follows the WD plan, which is more like a 4-hour dinner window, but not a strict fast during the other 20 hours. I typically have a protein bar or two during my undereating period.

-S-

I am not a scientist and not a nutritionist, but I can tell you that the WD approach works great for me. I used to feel dependent on regular feedings, and sluggish after I ate, and now I don't have either problem. For me, the difference is dramatic, the benefits "significant." My eating follows the WD plan, which is more like a 4-hour dinner window, but not a strict fast during the other 20 hours. I typically have a protein bar or two during my undereating period.

-S-

That's certainly true and if you like it and it fits your goals absolutely go for it. I'd also encourage everybody who is unhappy with his current eating style to experiment with it and maybe change to IF if it fits them better.
However, it is not superior to any other style of eating in terms of muscle building/fat loss/health if calories and macros are equated.

Maybe you can try with "eat only plant based food and drink water"
Pretty Simple&Sinister

Speaking as someone who eats only plant foods, I can say that it's not all that simple in practice, but then what is?

I know Pavel Tsatsouline has recommended Ori Hofmekler's The Warrior Diet, which advocates a fairly straightforward approach to nutrition, in terms of its implication at least. Could give you some ideas.

If not that, the 2g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (or 1g per lb) for growing muscle seems to work for pretty much anyone trying to improve their strength and that's fairly simple.

-S-
I'm a big Warrior Diet proponent as you know but I never thought that it had allot of additional benefit. There are some fringe benefits to fasting but like 90% of it is because of calorie reduction. The other benefits like insulin, growth hormone are really apparent past the 24 hour mark. The spiritual and emotional aspect can't really be proven even though I've felt it.

Ori considers his new book, The 7 Principles of Stress to be his most recent thoughts on the topic of fasting and is a continuation of his Warrior Diet principles.

I'm a big Warrior Diet proponent as you know but I never thought that it had allot of additional benefit. There are some fringe benefits to fasting but like 90% of it is because of calorie reduction. The other benefits like insulin, growth hormone are really apparent past the 24 hour mark. The spiritual and emotional aspect can't really be proven even though I've felt it.

Ori considers his new book, The 7 Principles of Stress to be his most recent thoughts on the topic of fasting and is a continuation of his Warrior Diet principles.
Have you read the new book?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom