all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The perfect pull up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
I found this on facebook. Hope it will help someone. Ido portal has lots of good information. Here is the original link
Strength Tip Number 3 - The Perfect Pull Up
Few people are really capable of doing a real Pull Up - using complete Lat recruitment.

Most will pull towards the bar, only reaching over it with their chins.

Some will be able to touch their chest to the bar, but will do so with rounded shoulders at the top - relying on their subscapularis - a habit that will eventually lead to shoulder issues.

Many do not fully depress shoulder blades nor do they retract it before pulling up - a habit that will lead to injury.

The real pull up is very difficult to master:

1. Start in a slightly wider than shoulder width grip. From a complete hang with shoulder blades elevated, while maintaining locked elbows, depress shoulder blades down and retract them together. Your head should elevate between your shoulders as the lats and scap retractors will 'engage'.

2. From the position achieved in stage 1 start to pull up by thinking of bringing elbows to your sides. Do not concentrate on the upper arms. You should also avoid concentrating on the load - as research shows one should concentrate on the working muscles in order to achieve optimal activation, even if you are not interested in body building - this is an essential cue for you: concentrate on your lats.

3. Pull all the way up until your lower chest hits the bar with shoulder blades retracted backwards and shoulder rolled behind. The triceps of both arms should make contact with the lats and there should be a slight pause at this position for 1-3 sec. The come down will reverse the process, going down at least in 4 sec to complete hang.

4. Repeat for the required amount of reps.

Note:

Beginners, most females and generally weak people should concentrate on lat activation work first or will forever rely on their upper arms, Teres Major and Subscap for the Pull Ups and will neglect their Lat development.

Vince Gironda, who was an innovator of many training and nutrition concepts wrote many years ago this description:

THE CHIN UP

by Vince Gironda

I do not think I have seen six men in my life do a chin properly. Don Howorth was one of them. Don pulled up with his chest high and touched his chest to the bar almost as low as his low Pec line. His elbows were drawn down to his sides, touching his lats, and with the chest high and the shoulders down and back, he contracted his lats to the maximum.

If you look up the function of the lat in any Kinesiology book, it will show that the lat – in the fully contracted position – the shoulders are drawn down and back! Round the back and shoulders forward, and you shift to the Teres major muscles. Also, if you do not arch your back to full contraction, you will not develop any of the fibres across the back that attach to the spine. This will give you a flat underdeveloped look with no thickness.

This is how you do the chin: Reach up and grasp the chinning bar, but not too wide…closer than you ordinarily do them, because the lats are partially contracted in a wide grip. Next, stand on a box so that you can jump up into the contracted position and hold at the top for a split second. Now, lower your body and stand on the box (Do singles). Jump up again and touch your low pec to the bar and arch the back. Most important – elbows must touch the sides in the top or contracted position to achieve maximum contraction.

So, enjoy mastering the Pull Ups, good people. It is not such a short journey as most think, but by taking the right path - one will enjoy healthier, stronger upper body in the long term.

Ido Portal.

if you go up, you have succeed! Don´t care about gurus trying to make simple things difficult.

@Sergej, this is unnecessarily argumentative. We value learning how to do perform exercise at StrongFirst, and the details follow from our StrongFirst principles. If you don't agree with this approach, please don't feel obligated to participate in our forum. We do have competitions for pullups - our TSC. But we make a difference between learning and practicing good form on the one hand and going all-out for a rep count on the other. We recommend the latter not be done very often for reasons of recovery and of safety.

Again, our approach is not for everyone, and it sounds like it's not for you. Live long and prosper, but please don't tell us:
Don´t care about gurus trying to make simple things difficult.
Our leadership, and our instructors are not trying to make simple things difficult. We are trying to make often-poorly-performed things both safer and more effective.

-S-

Anyone can do a sloppy pull up, takes skill to do a pull up

I wouldn't say that (anyone can do a sloppy one) -- at least where I am in the U.S., and from a women's perspective, probably only 3 or 4 out of 100 women could do any pull-up at all, with probably only 1 of those being a good one.

We just tend to have no lats at all. I mean, of course they are there, but just totally undeveloped. That has been one of my biggest body changes in the past few years since starting StrongFirst method strength training. Lats -- what a game changer!

The pull-up is SO distant for most women, especially if they are overweight, that IF they can even hang on a bar to start with, they have literally no ability to even begin to initiate a pull.

Fortunately the StrongFirst bodyweight course and the other material put out by Karen Smith (Girls Gone Strong, Coach Karen, etc.) provides progressions for any level. And yes, if you're going to work hard at something and progress, might as well learn to do it right!

My first pull-up was a memorable achievement. What I'm looking forward to now is helping one of my students achieve their first pull-up.

Very true, I suppose my message wasn't meant quite as literal as that, I meant people who train and people who are happy doing sloppy pull ups, agree with what you say completely Anna

I unfortunately did years of sloppy (and dangerous) pull-ups.
At least I can say I now know the difference and am way better off for it.

I do far fewer pull-ups these days, but I pay strict attention to form on the ones I do...

if you go up, you have succeed! Don´t care about gurus trying to make simple things difficult.
i'm a lazy guy. i like to think that more perfect the skill is, the less i have to do it. Like in soccer match, some player can shoot 10-20 times and have one goal; and some player just need one touch to bring the ball to the net

@Steve Freides : Maybe I'm wrong but I actually understood something completely different from @Sergej s comment.

It's one thing to teach something correctly, for safety/performance. This is what SF does and something Sergej I think would agree with is correct.

It's something else entirely to, in addition, say EVERY other way is wrong. This is what gurus do.

Maybe I'm just missing his point but I didn't think by gurus, he meant SF at all. He meant people who repeatedly say their way is good, and that other ones are terrible. That's not an attitude of SF as far as I'm aware.

Is that ^ maybe more what you meant @Sergej ? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
@305pelusa I usually think of guru as a positive form of saying "expert," but I agree that so many people want to be some type of what I'd call a "cult leader" and attract followers by convincing weak or susceptible people that they have the "one, true answer" and everyone else is way off base and they're doomed somehow if they stray.

Unfortunately, this type of marketing is common in fitness/strength world, and it appeals to the types of people who are hurt the most by it. Great appeal of SF and, especially, @Karen Smith 's vids is lack of this type of marketing spiel and great content to boot! Thanks for that!

I have no idea what @Sergej meant...and, since I'm not a cult leader, he's welcome to his own opinion, whatever it is, and I also respect @Steve Freides 's efforts to keep the forum civil.

Now everyone can go do pullups the "one true way" as they see it!

Took me 2 years and alot of sloppy chin ups & pull ups to do a few 'good' ones. Pull up is one of my favorite exercises and worth the time to perfect. The one-arm-chin-up is on my bucket list aswell. Definitly worth the time to practice. I've googled many video's on pull ups and single arm pull ups, and the net is full of vids of guys that look like jojo's under the bar, its a shame.

@Karen Smith's video's are great. I search her channel specificly for instructional video's about kettlebell exercises.

I usually think of guru as a positive form of saying "expert"...
Perhaps in a world without sarcasm, at least. With very few exceptions (the only one immediately coming to mind for me at the moment would be Dan Inosanto), when I hear the word "guru" used, the sneer quotes attached to it are palpable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom