all posts post new thread

Nutrition The Pioneers of Protein

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tarzan

Level 6 Valued Member
I just dug up an old article that I read about ten years ago, it's all about the history of protein supplementation and what a gravy train it has been for those with vested interests.

I believe the same mechanisms are still in place to convince us to eat more protein than we need in the name of greed and profits.

Here's a snippet from the article which was typical of the early protein marketing hype published in physical culture & Iron magazines. The hype is toned down these days but still follows a similar groove.

The case of a young man who had trained a
year with little progress and weighed 169
pounds. His blood pressure was only 100.
His arm measured 141⁄2 inches. He stayed
there just 24 hours under the special diet
treatment of Mr. Johnson and left weighing
181, blood pressure normal and arm meas-
uring 163⁄4 inches.

Link to the full article
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0803/IGH0803d.pdf
The Pioneers of Protein
Daniel T. Hall & John D. Fair
Georgia College & State University

The protein companies certainly are in it for the profit. There also are certainly some standards, that can easily be met without protein supplementation.

It is up to the individual, both in goals and their understanding of their road to that goal, to decide whether to supplement their diet with extra protein.

There are a plethora of studies. Most seem to be in favour of plentiful protein intake. The problem in the studies is, that it is virtually impossible to gain any semblance of scientific certainty in studies concerning human diets without putting the people in boxes for extended periods of time. There is always doubt. But the reasonability of that doubt is also up to the individual.

I like whey protein. It is practical and affordable. I also believe in the usefulness of it.

Whey supplementation is by no means a new thing. Hippocrates, the father of western medicine, propagated it's use. It's been what, 2500 years now?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom