all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Pistol Squat and the Achey Knee

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

danliftweightgood

Level 1 Valued Member
Sometime, usually the next morning, I have a bit of an achey knee (not pain) after performing pistols the previous evening - usually just 1+1x5.

I know...cool story, right?

Thoughts or comments welcomed.

Dan, we need history - previous knee problems? Sports history? Did you immediately move to 5 reps or work up gradually? Has a doctor looked at your knee? Has one of our instructors watched you do a pistol? Are you pistols weighted or unweighted? If the former, what weight?

-S-

Besides the obvious medical concerns, have you tried thorough stretching and getting a massage? And not just on your legs, but your lower back as well.

Dan, we need history - previous knee problems? Sports history? Did you immediately move to 5 reps or work up gradually? Has a doctor looked at your knee? Has one of our instructors watched you do a pistol? Are you pistols weighted or unweighted? If the former, what weight?

-S-

No injuries or surgeries to speak of. I have not had an instructor (thoroughly) critique my form. Yes, I worked up gradually to 1+1x5, taking about a 5 minute break in between each set. The pistols are unweighted.

Besides the obvious medical concerns, have you tried thorough stretching and getting a massage? And not just on your legs, but your lower back as well.

I've been stretching seriously 2 times per week. No massages, but that's sounding pretty good right about now.

Dan, if it's not a case of doing too much, too soon, then a video might be helpful.

-S-

it might be that the wobble in the one is causing the irritation, also your knee is imo going in.. film from front:) polski rozumiesz?:)

Hey Dan, how long have you been doing pistols? If you just recently added them to your training program, then it could be an issue of the tendons being strengthened. It tends to happen when people begin doing body weight squats for the first time, especially Hindu Squats which we're not even talking about. :)

My next question is, are you warming up properly? I'd suggest a set of squats to warm up. I do Atlas Squats where you keep your heels flat on the ground and I crank out about 15 or so. By the time I get to 15 my knees have stopped cranking and creaking. :D You may even want to add a second set, but I'd keep the reps 15-20 range. You're focusing on warming up, not working out.

FYI, I'm 51 and just recently added Pistols back into my routine after not doing any kind of squats for 18+ months. I too have been experiencing achy knees the next day. Hope this helps!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom