all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The purpose of dead cleans with kettlebells in the back

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello after a break,
recently I've been seeing a lot double cleans done from a postion when the bells are on the ground behind the lifter. Here's an example:
What is the purpose of this? Is it in any way superior to a more traditional version?

Hello after a break,
recently I've been seeing a lot double cleans done from a postion when the bells are on the ground behind the lifter. Here's an example:
What is the purpose of this? Is it in any way superior to a more traditional version?

No momentum, so they require more hip drive. Although he puts them on blocks to make it easier. Not going to say they are superior, but I like them for a change up and to teach bell path and hip drive.

One reason I was taught was to help with placement for the backswing. Since the clean (and snatch) is a more vertical hinge movement your backswing should be lower than in the swing, and doing dead cleans with the bell starting behind your ankles is a great way to practice that pattern.

They serve two purposes. 1. to teach you to drive the kb with the hips without excessively pulling with the arm. 2. to have a loose arm when swinging the kb back through the legs. When you think about setting the kb back to the ground by your heels, it helps to keep a loose arm and not put tension on your elbow. When I catch myself doing either of these two things either on snatches or cleans, I do some practices with deadstop snatches or cleans to help polish the technique.

Although Pavel and StrongFirst/RKC don't recommend them, that's how I originally performed my cleans per Renegade Coach John Davies when I first started using kettlebells in 2001. They're definitely good for starting explosive strength. They more resemble a barbell clean from the floor.

Here's an old video (nearly 12 years ago) showing them (along with swings showing a different starting method that I rarely used):

Again, as shown by Renegade Coach John Davies in 2001, I performed my snatches from a dead stop on the floor as well:

Although Pavel and StrongFirst/RKC don't recommend them, that's how I originally performed my cleans per Renegade Coach John Davies when I first started using kettlebells in 2001. They're definitely good for starting explosive strength. They more resemble a barbell clean from the floor.

Here's an old video (nearly 12 years ago) showing them (along with swings showing a different starting method that I rarely used):

I have to politely disagree. The deadstop swing/clean or snatch is a good teaching tool and has a great carryover for learning to properly performing those movements. Even a deadhang clean or snatch are used maybe not as a main movement but to learn to properly perform the exercise. I definitely use them in my own practice because I have a tendency to pull with my arm quite a bit in the snatch especially when doing something like training for a snatch test. Slowing back down to practice good technique helps a lot with endurance since excessive arm pull will gas me out quick when performing high repetitions.

I first encountered this movement from Pavel's, "More Russian Kettlebell Challenges" which was published in 2003.

-S-

I don't get it.

When I do dead stop cleans, I put the bells between my feet and clean straight up.

Basically similar to cleaning a barbell.
It's a fascinating movement to me. I am unable to do it without a big shoulder shrug but I try from time to time. I have a theory - more like a personal preference - that one shouldn't shrug when doing anything with a kettlebell. When the clean is straight up and down - what you're describing - it's pretty much impossible not to shrug. But when the bell is behind you, you can - one can, I can't - load the hips and make the movement happen without a shrug.

-S-

It's a fascinating movement to me. I am unable to do it without a big shoulder shrug but I try from time to time. I have a theory - more like a personal preference - that one shouldn't shrug when doing anything with a kettlebell. When the clean is straight up and down - what you're describing - it's pretty much impossible not to shrug. But when the bell is behind you, you can - one can, I can't - load the hips and make the movement happen without a shrug.

-S-

I can do it vertically without shrugging at relatively modest weights (e.g. 2 x 24 kg).

But > 2 x 32 kg, I start shrugging a little.

Back
Top Bottom