all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Red Zone (Pavel, T. Program)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

Some 15 years ago Pavel was interviewed in the Iron Man Magazine. When asked to give a suggestion for a minimalist program he answered; Presses and Swings in a following fashion.

Here's the routine: 5×5 presses per arm, 5×10 swings per arm, wrap up with another 5×5 presses. It's up to you whether you want to clean the kettlebell once for each set of presses or once before each rep. Don't fail. If you can't make the prescribed reps, do more sets of fewer reps to make up the total; for example 3×5, 1×4, 2×3 for a total of 25. Rest as little as you can between sets. Start with a lot lower numbers and build up slowly. Train three times a week. Stretch. Eat a cow. Every fourth week take it easy'this means do half the reps on all your sets.

A grind, a ballistic done in a minimalistic fashion. 15 years ago.

I'm a little confused with the pressing part. The swings are obviously ala s&s 100 total as it says 5 sets per arm of 10, but what about the presses? Is it 5 sets left, swings, and then 5 sets right? Is it alternate left, right, left, right, left, swings, right, left, right, left, right?

I read it as 5x5 presses with your left and right (25 each arm) then 5x10 1H swings (a total of 100 swings and then 5x5 presses with your left and right (25 each arm).
You could probably even do two different press variations, like C&P before and Push Presses after Swings. I think this strategy is also used in ETK Plus, based on some older Russian routines.

• Presses + swings + more presses: sounds like hypertrophy
  • Rest as little as possible: sounds like hypertrophy
  • Eat a cow: sounds like hypertrophy
  • Deload 3:1 to manage overload volume fatigue
Lots of details in there that can get glossed over when we often hear
  • 1-5 reps is for strength, 8-12 is for hypertrophy
  • Slow and steady park bench programs not mentioning deloads
  • Long rest for strength

Hello,

This routine just lacks a squat pattern, but it sounds wonderful to build massive strength and hypertrophy !

Wondering if you could make the last 5 x 5 presses to be a chain - clean, press, squat instead of just clean and press.........

Hello,

This routine just lacks a squat pattern, but it sounds wonderful to build massive strength and hypertrophy !

@Stefan Olsson @Bauer
Did you try it ? :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I haven´t, but if it delivers massive strength and hypertrophy I guess I should! ?

I was actually searching for something like "do you need to swing when you do double cleans?" and this stuff came up.

Hello,

@Stefan Olsson
I see !

To my understanding, it seems this routine is done with a single bell (press right, rest, press left, etc...). It must be brutal using a double C&P !

This one, from @CMarker can be what you are looking for:

As far as your "double bell" routine is concerned, did you consider something like D. John's armor building (2 cleans, 1 press, 3 squats) ? (But in this case, there is no swings...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stefan Olsson
I see !

To my understanding, it seems this routine is done with a single bell (press right, rest, press left, etc...). It must be brutal using a double C&P !

This one, from @CMarker can be what you are looking for:

As far as your "double bell" routine is concerned, did you consider something like D. John's armor building (2 cleans, 1 press, 3 squats) ? (But in this case, there is no swings...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I does not intend to do this routine with double belles, it'd just show up. After vacation I'll probably do something like TTC or Moving target Complex to get a feel for the bells! :)

I actually think this program resembles The Plan (another SF program) that has you do a timed block of presses followed by a time block of swings and squats and lastly a timed block of pressing again.

I actually think this program resembles The Plan (another SF program) that has you do a timed block of presses followed by a time block of swings and squats and lastly a timed block of pressing again.

You mean the one I just found out about? ?

This plan really needs some sort of catchy name, I think!

You mean the one I just found out about? ?

This plan really needs some sort of catchy name, I think!

Thats The Program I'm talking about ?

I think we must have different definitions of "massive".

;)

On the surface, it's not a lot of tonnage, nor is it really working working some of the bigger hypertrophy muscle groups (quads, traps, chest).

So would it be 5 left 5 right x 5 or 5x5 left then 5x5 right?

Hello,

I think we must have different definitions of "massive".

;)

On the surface, it's not a lot of tonnage, nor is it really working working some of the bigger hypertrophy muscle groups (quads, traps, chest).
Yes you are right. By "massive", I meant "great" ;)

Of course, there would be programs better tailored to get max hypertrophy or max strength. What I wanted to say, was that we can expect a "decent" amount of both strength and hypertrophy (such as in RoP) assuming we cut off the rest to the bare minimum.

As far as kettlebells are concerned, I reached my "peak" in terms of both strength / GPP and hypertrophy when I did RoP. I guess this was due to the volume. However, as a "drawback", rest was really important. On the last weeks, heavy sessions made me a little bit more tired. Compared to RoP, Red Zone sounds slightly more sustainable and more "flexible" because we can do doubles, triples, etc...as long as we perform the required number of repetitions.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom