all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The road to sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Saparker12

Level 4 Valued Member
I’ll try to make this concise but w all the relevant info. I’m a recovering skinny fat guy who has been training more seriously for a few years now. I’m 6’2” and 215lbs. I reached the simple goal (for time) more than a year ago. I spent the last three months doing a Starting Strength style linear progression and moved my compound lift numbers meaningfully to gear up for a timeless Sinister push. I’m working w the 36 and 40kg bells. TGU’s are strong. My weakest links seem to be grip strength and keeping shoulders packed in tight, both of which show up in the 1h swings. I started w some grippers, per an older podcast I heard w Pavel T.
I chronically over complicate programming so I’m hesitant to deviate from the protocol without feedback. Would anyone recommend complimentary movements w S&S protocol? Or stay tried and true?
And what do you all recommend for caloric intake? Slight surplus? I can’t seem to strike the right balance and feel like I’m plateauing.
Any feedback would be appreciated!

@Saparker12

- grippers are great - but neuro-recovery from any grip work is hard. Skip the grippers.
- take lighter weight that allows you to do swings with good technique.
- refer to S&S 2.0 and include two-hand swings into your practice.
- split a set of 10 swings in two subsets of, e.g. 5+5. Do 5 reps with 5 (as you know if you do more your grip would start to give up). Set the bell down. Quick fast and loose. Finish the set with the same hand - i.e. another 5 reps.
- gradually move from 5+5 to lets say 7+3 > 8+2 > 10.
- calories- focus on quality, don't count them, just eat them.
- if anything, add more sleep - go to sleep around 10 PM or even earlier, sleep 8+ hours, wake up early, before the enemy.

Complimentary movements to S and S

Original Strength resets
Ground Force Method

I personally focus on getting a high amount of protein, most of my carbs around my training window..

Agree with @Pavel Macek on the importance of better sleep.

The lighter sessions where you do 2h swings are to help focus on power in your hip drive..

Lighter getups done with long pauses between steps build linkage in alignment and teach integrity under load.

@Saparker12

Pavel, thanks for claryfing this. I actually wanted to post a query about this today, if this still applies post Simple.

Interestingly, if you apply that (every third session) and also follow the most limited number of sessions per week (3), with one light timed ‘smoking’ session per week, you end up with only 1 or two ‘proper’ weight single arm swing session within a week.

Let’s say on the way to Solid, if you compare that to Simple maintenance 2x per week 32kg single arm swings, the volume is similar, arguably, for most of the way to Solid.

How many people report progressing to Sinister on only 3 sessions per week?

@Molson , once it got heavier (above 40 kg), I had to reduce the frequency of my S&S practice to 4x/week and eventually 3x/week. Please check my log.

you end up with only 1 or two ‘proper’ weight single arm swing session within a week.
I am far from that level, but the way I see it, that should not be a problem. It is more of a heavy light medium plan then, that usually work pretty well. Same same but different.

@Saparker12

- grippers are great - but neuro-recovery from any grip work is hard. Skip the grippers.
- take lighter weight that allows you to do swings with good technique.
- split a set of 10 swings in two subsets of, e.g. 5+5. Do 5 reps with 5 (as you know if you do more your grip would start to give up). Set the bell down. Quick fast and loose. Finish the set with the same hand - i.e. another 5 reps.
- gradually move from 5+5 to lets say 7+3 > 8+2 > 10.
- calories- focus on quality, don't count them, just eat them.
- if anything, add more sleep - go to sleep around 10 PM or even earlier, sleep 8+ hours, wake up early, before the enemy.
I had been using the grippers in a “grease the groove” fashion, 1/3 of rep max, 3 sets, 3x/week but will discontinue.

I’ve read S&S and S&S 2.0 and am following that protocol as you mention in the response including 2h swings every 3rd day. You are probably right about recovery being a bigger factor.

Ultimately what I hear you saying is follow it precisely and don’t complicate, which is my tendency and I guess what I needed to hear.

Thanks!

Can you get to the point where you are using 40-48kg bells on 2-3x a week training? definitely yes.

the answer lies in what your training looks like and how you recover from it

Complimentary movements to S and S

Original Strength resets
Ground Force Method

I personally focus on getting a high amount of protein, most of my carbs around my training window..

Agree with @Pavel Macek on the importance of better sleep.

The lighter sessions where you do 2h swings are to help focus on power in your hip drive..

Lighter getups done with long pauses between steps build linkage in alignment and teach integrity under load.
Thanks Mark, great info!

Some memories from the Taipei SFG//SFB weekend

@Pavel Macek and I. "Who ate more steak and vegetables? Who ate more cheesecake?"

Quoting the wise gentleman beside me (he's the one of the left BTW) "The potential of a lighter man? Just get stronger"

"If you always place a limit to what you can do, it will be your limit"

IMG_20191208_172308.jpg
Thanks Mark, great info!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom