all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The S&S 2.0 Book is VERY different from the first book

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I finally got my S&S 2.0 copy (French edition) and read it all in two days. Some people assumed that with about 20 extra pages that there is simply 20 more pages of info added, but this isn't correct. A huge amount of material has been removed and rewritten - I'd say something like 90% of the book by my gut feeling. Interestingly, the new book validates several of my suspicions about how best to go about using the program. The new book also gives advice on where to go next after Simple, and makes it clear that Simple is often as far as people will get with it - Sinister is a rare feat! All those little "what if" questions are answered throughout the new book making everything very clear as to why/why not for everything. It also validates my suspicion being a judoka that two handed swings are almost just as important as the 1h swings.

In any case, the new book is a necessary buy for anyone following S&S.

I finally got my S&S 2.0 copy (French edition) and read it all in two days. Some people assumed that with about 20 extra pages that there is simply 20 more pages of info added, but this isn't correct. A huge amount of material has been removed and rewritten - I'd say something like 90% of the book by my gut feeling. Interestingly, the new book validates several of my suspicions about how best to go about using the program. The new book also gives advice on where to go next after Simple, and makes it clear that Simple is often as far as people will get with it - Sinister is a rare feat! All those little "what if" questions are answered throughout the new book making everything very clear as to why/why not for everything. It also validates my suspicion being a judoka that two handed swings are almost just as important as the 1h swings.

In any case, the new book is a necessary buy for anyone following S&S.

Can’t add much, other than agree.

The book and program had been really fine-tuned.

I agree @Kozushi. Whilst it is essentially the same book it answers pretty much all questions that v1 left hanging. In my view this is most likely the book that Pavel intended v1 to be in the first place but people that like doing things by the book (myself included) took it as gospel rather than guidelines. For example: I’ve attained simple a couple of times over the years but swings have never been my strong point so really had to hammer them out to get there. In v2 that doesn’t matter I can do timeless simple easily and I’m introducing the 40 slowly and I’ll get there in the end. See simply simple log for details. The result is that I am loving every session and making small and rewarding gains all the time rather than running at 80% plus regularly on the swings. Sorry long example!
To a full time desk jockey, father of two like myself this is a full 180 in the approach that the book is coming from and is a bit of a revelation and leads me to think that a some readers (like me) lost a bit in translation in v1. That being said from my experience this is a great minimalist program that has just been distilled down even further. I know that if I can hit simple then I will feel great and be able to perform pretty much any physical task thrown at me plus there’s also the wth effects such as being able to press my 32 and do 1 arm pushups without any practice!

S&S 2.0 has a different orientation. I got the revision at the beginning of this year when I was going to go back to S&S. I had tried S&S before and never got to the 32K simple standard. I made several errors, which the second version helped me correct:
  • I did not do enough sessions per week (both versions say you need to do it almost daily).
  • I tried to do it fast rather than make sure I met the talk test (I think both versions emphasized this, but I understood it on the second).
  • I tried to progress too fast (the 4-week progression is a good guideline).
  • I also understand the end goals better. Timeless simple was not something that I picked up in the first book.
Overall, I have “studied” 2.0 and find I pick up things every time I read it. Whether this is the new version on my approach is a good question.
I think 2.0 is an improvement, although both are very good.

S&S 2.0 has a different orientation. I got the revision at the beginning of this year when I was going to go back to S&S. I had tried S&S before and never got to the 32K simple standard. I made several errors, which the second version helped me correct:
  • I did not do enough sessions per week (both versions say you need to do it almost daily).
  • I tried to do it fast rather than make sure I met the talk test (I think both versions emphasized this, but I understood it on the second).
  • I tried to progress too fast (the 4-week progression is a good guideline).
  • I also understand the end goals better. Timeless simple was not something that I picked up in the first book.
Overall, I have “studied” 2.0 and find I pick up things every time I read it. Whether this is the new version on my approach is a good question.
I think 2.0 is an improvement, although both are very good.

This can be said for most, if not all of Pavel's material

I found that S&S 2.0 stripped away a lot of the dogma. As an older lifter I did not follow V1 exactly. Nothing serious in my mind, I used 2kg jumps and marched up the stairs. But I definitely felt that was frowned on my some. When I go above 32 I adjusted my schedule to add more rest days. In V1 there wasn't much consideration for the heavier jumps. V2 gives some good ideas and other recent blogs and such are now focusing on how to get more people from 32 to 40. I very much liked the changes in V2. i think it moves the emphasis from dogmatic perfections back to training and getting the work done.

Like I wrote above, V2 is really quite a different thing. Other than the 100 swings and 10 getups being the core of it, it's quite different from V1.
The funny thing is that a lot of the things I just felt to be right ended up right in front of my eyes in V2 - things like 2h swings being just as important as 1h, that daily 1h swings is hard on the grip and you need to rest, that 32kg is probably the reasonable limit for most men (including myself) with the program, that the goblet squats are important along with the prying goblet curls for their own sake as well as for limbering up, but that the other warmups can be dispensed with, that every second day is about right once you've hit Timeless Simple - every day with the 32kg seemed a bit too much for me.

For those following V1, you're not really doing it correctly according to V2, so you'll need to read V2.

I was supriced as well how much different the updated version was. And the new version helped me reach a new level for sure. Timeless sessions, two hand swings every second or third session and using chalk made a big difference.

I remember asking on this forum if I should buy the second version of the book when it first came out as I had been using the first version for over a year at that time. I am so glad I took the advice to buy the book because I actually was thinking of stopping the program as Simple was still a long way off for me , I was 61 years old and dealing with a bad shoulder to boot and the TGU's were tough.. Today I am at a very comfortable timeless simple thanks to the guidance in the new book and really enjoy the program. The kicker is that now I am even considering buying a heavier bell to take the high road beyond timeless simple. I have to laugh because to even be in a position to consider the purchase just puts a smile on my face because I know how far I have come on this journey!

... considering buying a heavier bell to take the high road beyond timeless simple.
Do it! I'm only three years behind you and up to 40. Get a 36kg and get to work, I think you will find it frustrating , infuriating and fun all at the same time. I recommend you watch your recovery closely and maybe add more rest days to recover from the training load. I'm learning to learn the love of a dance with something almost half your body weight!

I've found jumping from 32 to 40kg to be honestly a bit too much, so going up to a 36kg as the next step would make sense.

I've found jumping from 32 to 40kg to be honestly a bit too much, so going up to a 36kg as the next step would make sense.

I found the jump from 32 to 36 to be much easier than the 36 to 40. I suspect the euphoria of making Simple may have clouded the pain and suffering, hahaha.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom