all posts post new thread

The Simple Life

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@FitMEDIC

Do you typically add these exercise to your warm ups or are these exercises you add as rehab/prehab on light or "off" days?

If an exercise is worth doing and working for me then I do it everyday.

I have incorporated side planks as part of my warm up but removed them to focus on the SFG recommended warm up.

The S&S warmup is considered the bare minimum that works for nearly everybody so if the side planks are working for you then keep at it. Also, you can use a grease the groove method here and just perform them throughout the day, 7 days per week.

I will work on foam rolling my calves, quads, and IT band to hopefully release the area and improve mobility. I will also work on strengthening my glute medius via mini-band walks

The lateral band walks are what you need here. Turning on the glutes and glute medius will help your IT band to calm down more effectively than foam rolling.

Here is a link that demo's the SFG or HardStyle Plank:

Session #8

Thoracic Extension/ Rotation, Neck Nods, Shoulder Rolls from Quadruped
Glute Bridges 2x10 (with 2 second hold)
Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H KB Swings with 24 kg KB 10x10 EMOM
Armbars with 12kg KB 3x ea. side
TGUs with 16,24,24,24,16

Swings feel solid. Conditioning is improving. It is now time to begin adding reps starting with 11x1o and increasing to 18x10.

I was able to add a third set of 24s and it felt good. I had to increase my rest between reps and sets but it was solid. I will add a fourth set on my next workout.

Session #9

Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H KB Swings with 24 kg KB 10x11 EMOM
TGUs with 16,24,24,24,24

Added a rep to each set of swings. Tough conditioning-wise but doable. Will continue to 10x12 for my next workout. I was sore after doing 3 sets of 24 kg TGUs but my shoulder felt good overall. No pain or discomfort. I decided to continue and add a 4th set. I felt solid. My conditioning continues to take a hit but I felt pretty stable throughout the movement. I will see how I feel tomorrow recovery-wise but if everything feels good I will do 5 sets ea. of 24 kg TGUs.

Session #10

Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H KB Swings with 24 kg KB 10x12 EMOM
KB Arm Bar with 12 kg 3x ea side
TGUs 24kg x5 ea side

Swings got tough towards the last few sets. My grip and forearms were burning pretty good and it was a tough conditioning session. TGUs and shoulders felt good. I will now stick with 24kgx5 until I own it. No soreness and can easily do it under 10 minutes.

My hips and lower back felt tight after a long 3 days on the ambulance. I also took a day off from working out due to work schedule and sleep deprivation. I decided to take the day to recover instead of trying to workout with only a few hours of sleep. I need to prioritize movement prep and mobility drills on my off days to avoid the tightness and associated symptoms.

I want to incorporate crawling, rolling, rocking, and walking/rucking and tactical frog work. I also need to do SMR and stretching on ankle and calves.

Session #11

Almost 1 week delay due to busy schedule. I was feeling tired overall and "tweaked" my back while at work. A few days of resting did the trick! Back at it.

Glute Bridges 3x10 (with 2 second hold)
Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H KB Swings with 24 kg KB 10x10 EMOM
KB Arm Bar with 12 kg 3x ea side
TGUs 24kg x5 ea side

I decided to bump the KB swings down to 10x10. I have decided that instead of increasing reps with the 2H swings, I will own it for this week and begin adding sets of 1H swings until I work my way up to 10 out of 10.

TGUs felt good despite taking a week off. I will continue striving to own the 24.

Focusing on moving towards the 1H Swing instead of increasing reps with the 2H Swing is the right move, IMHO.

Session #12

Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H, 2H, 2H, R, L, R, L, R, 2H, 2H x 10 ea.
TGUs 24kg x5 ea side

KB swings: I am beginning to add 1H swings now. I added 5 sets; 3R, 2L and then did 5 sets of 2H. Wow! I forgot about the effects of the 1H swings. My grip, forearms, abs, and glutes had to work overtime. When I switched back to 2H, they felt effortless. It was definitely challenging from a conditioning standpoint but felt great. I will stick with 5 sets of 1H for the week and will bump up to 7 sets next week.

TGUs. Felt good. Still a challenge conditioning-wise but my forearms and grips didn't seem to be bothered by the sets of 1H swings. I feel stronger, more stable, and more fluid through the movement.

Out of curiosity, why are you increasing the 1H Swings by odd numbers (3R/2L) instead of even (2R/2L)?

That is just how it played out. I know that in Simple & Sinister, Pavel recommends starting with 5 sets of 10 reps and working up to 10. I figured the next time I workout I will just do the opposite, 3L and 2R.

Session #13 (12/27/2016)

Prying Goblet Squats 2x5

2H, 2H, 2H, L, R, L, R, L, 2H, 2H x 10 ea.
TGUs 24kg x5 ea side

I was pretty sore after Session 12. My T-spine, forearms, lats, etc. from the 1H swings I'm assuming. Due to a crazy holiday schedule I decided to only do 2 days last week. I am definitely shooting for 3 S&S days with an additional "light" day tonight.

I think I missed a few workout entries.

(Recorded) Session #14

For the last few sessions, I did 7 sets of 1H swings. I have now worked my way up to 8 sets of 1H Swings.

2H, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, 2H
TGUS 24kg x5 ea side

I have a mild cold so my conditioning was lacking today. The swings were tough but I definitely feel that they are improving.
The TGUs feel easy from a strength standpoint but my conditioning still needs improvement. I finished today's TGUs in roughly 12 minutes.
Once I reach 10 sets of 1H swings, I will begin timing my TGUs. I am close to "owning" it so I should hope to begin a heavier weight by the end of the month.

I am looking to do my first "back-to-back" session tonight and will see how it goes. I don't feel sore so I should be OK.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom