all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Simple or Sinister standard by December 2017, Who is going to do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would definitely like to read about our experience in the future. I agree the 48 seems intimidating. Then again when I first started the 24 felt awkward. I started to try the 32 on the get up and swings and thought no way. Now I have worked them into my routine and the 32kg isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The time will be but just doing a get up with them isn't. The 24kg is for my light days now.
I did notice a big change when I added in the 32kg. I can tell a difference with my grip on the swings. I
Good luck and lets keep this forum alive with positive progress reports over the next year.
Sounds good!

I am hoping to get as close as I can to Simple* by the spring, and then I plan to jump into RoP.

*I feel the need to asterisk any success, because while I have a 16kg kettlebell, I don't have a full 24kg bell, I have a 50lb bell (which works out to 22.67kg). It feels close enough that I can feel confident moving on to RoP if I can do 10x10 50lb swings in 5 minutes, but it will bug me until I someday have a full 24kg, because ignoring the slight difference feels like cheating.

My post that you replied to has a major typo in it. I think my ability to edit has been revoked. I meant to say that in the future the 32kg kettlebells will be as easy as the 24kg ones are now. In the future the 32kg kettlebells will be for light days.You're way ahead of me, Robert. I'm still plodding along at 24kg. The article on triple progression offered me a great deal of insight and inspiration for a tangible method to actually get stronger with both grinders and ballistics. Have you read it?

I am hoping to get as close as I can to Simple* by the spring, and then I plan to jump into RoP.

*I feel the need to asterisk any success, because while I have a 16kg kettlebell, I don't have a full 24kg bell, I have a 50lb bell (which works out to 22.67kg). It feels close enough that I can feel confident moving on to RoP if I can do 10x10 50lb swings in 5 minutes, but it will bug me until I someday have a full 24kg, because ignoring the slight difference feels like cheating.

Welcome to the forum @Questionfear
That's not cheating you're just using what you have. It's a trivial difference really. You could try to find a way to add some weight to that bell if you are really concerned. Or you could calculate your workload and add a few reps to compensate.

If you did 10x11 reps with the 22.67kg bell you'd be moving 2493.7 kg's which is approx 93 kg more metal than you would at 10x10 with a 24kg bell (2400kg) . If you do that in the same time frame the total workload would exceed what you would have done with the 24kg and we be a slightly higher intensity workout.

You could do the same thing with ROP or ETK to calculate your total workload or tonnage and compensate in a similar way.

Welcome to the forum @Questionfear
That's not cheating you're just using what you have. It's a trivial difference really. You could try to find a way to add some weight to that bell if you are really concerned. Or you could calculate your workload and add a few reps to compensate.

If you did 10x11 reps with the 22.67kg bell you'd be moving 2493.7 kg's which is approx 93 kg more metal than you would at 10x10 with a 24kg bell (2400kg) . If you do that in the same time frame the total workload would exceed what you would have done with the 24kg and we be a slightly higher intensity workout.

You could do the same thing with ROP or ETK to calculate your total workload or tonnage and compensate in a similar way.

That makes me feel a bit better! And that's a really good point about the tonnage calculations!

I have lurked here for a while, but I am trying to slowly dip my toe in to comment more. :)

@Stephen Reynolds, questions about using the forum - how to quote only part of a message, etc. - can be asked in the Welcome section if you wish. We could even create a thread to let you practice if need be.

-S-
Thanks, Steve. My apologies for any faux pas. I'll just observe for awhile until I dial in the protocol. It's a great resource and I couldn't resist jumping in!

@Stephen Reynolds, when I am wearing my music teacher hat, the motto I teach to my students is, "Make A Loud Mistake." Please don't just observe - post, and if you need help, just ask. No one is going to grade you on how well or not you use the forum's software; it's here and we are here to help.

-S-

I read the triple progression article. The word bodybuilding was in it and I lost interest right away, but I did read the article.
The triple progression sounds like too much thinking for me. I do my warm up exercises and then my 100 swings and 10 get ups. I don't have much to think about. I follow the directions in Simple and Sinister and in articles about it. I have watched some videos about correct technique for swings and get ups. Getting good at those two lifts is enough for me to think about. When I am really good at them then I will think about some others. That's about as much brain power as I want to devote to it. I have other interests which take up my time and a job as well.

I practice 100 swings and 10 get ups everyday. I can vary the training load by using a lighter kettlebell if I need to.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I kept training S&S over Xmas but man did my body suffer from the bad food and drink.

Had to cut my session short halfway through yesterday as my back was cramping during the swings.

Thank God it's new year. Onwards to simple

I am currently on two handed 24kg swings, trying to integrate 1 handed (not under 5 mins integrating the one arm swings yet) and 5 getups per side with the 24kg bell.,again not under 10 mins. I aim to work this program exclusively through 2017 and make simple standard with the 32kg by the end of the year (dominating with the weight on any given day). I will be asking for a 32kg bell for fathers day hopefully :)

I will try to hit simple after my rop cycle. I can press 36kg, jerk 44kg but 24kg getup is tough for me. I really wanna do those getups with 32. All those strong ladies make me feel weak and pitifull. ;)

I will try to hit simple after my rop cycle. I can press 36kg, jerk 44kg but 24kg getup is tough for me. I really wanna do those getups with 32. All those strong ladies make me feel weak and pitifull. ;)
Of course everyone is different, but judging by weights you are using on the other exercises, I would guess that all you need is some practice doing get ups with the 24kg. You are probably strong enough.

Don't feel weak! You will get there! Just compare you...to you. Are You lifting and progressing heavier weights for YOU? I am female and remember when a 12kg was hard for getups like even rolling up to my elbow. I know there are some absolute beasts here in the SF community for women, Iron Maiden challenge winners for example, but they all started from the beginning as well,

The beauty of this program is it has it's own built in progression unique to you as you listen to your body and don't burn yourself out or overdo it. Post video if you want, and there will be someone here for you, it's a very helpful community!

Hello,

I will try to hit simple after my rop cycle. I can press 36kg, jerk 44kg but 24kg getup is tough for me. I really wanna do those getups with 32. All those strong ladies make me feel weak and pitifull
You are not weak at all, these weights are pretty strong.

However, it is difficult to maintain our max everytime on every moves, at least when we are on progress. Once you get a level you consider "correct", you can maintain it using GTG it that is it. The important thing is to have a clear goal.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Personally I would not worry about the difference of a couple of pounds. Pavel recommends big jumps in kettlebell size. Going from 35lb to 50 is a big jump. By the way I think smaller jumps than that may be fine for women.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom