all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Simple or Sinister standard by December 2017, Who is going to do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Here is one practise getup with 20kg. It felt easy and okay for me. What I can do better. Normally i dont practise in my living room or use baby plankett as a mat. Normally I train on my balcony but there is pretty cold ( -20 celsius ) right now :)

Does this rep fit in stantard of getup? I'm going to course of local sfg in few weeks. He probably fixes whats wrong anyway, but i want some tips to make it better on my own. :)

Basically good, @Sauli, I would add a pause at the elbow stage going up and coming down, and slow the whole thing down just a bit. "Own each position." Nice work!

That's my first post so I just want to say hello :)
I really appreciate the knowledge and kindness of people on this forum and hope that some day I will belong to StrongFirst community :)

This year I am definitely going to hit the Simple goal - started S&S in September 2016 with 24/16, now practicing with 32/32. The get up part is already here, but there was some problems with grip and conditioning on swings. On December I had a month off of S&S (a big mistake from my current point of view) which I spent on exploring double kettlebells complexes and bodyweight workouts. Now I want to get back to basics - currently I am in the middle of 300 Swings a day challenge (24kg, GTG style) and when February starts I will be 100% committed on S&S and owning that nasty 32kg.

Sinister goal is also on my roadamp, but more as a longshot - after Simple I want to take some ROPs/Soju Tuba to press 48kg. Then, will see, but Beast Tamer Challenge is something that excites me more than Sinister goal :)

I will try to hit simple after my rop cycle. I can press 36kg, jerk 44kg but 24kg getup is tough for me. I really wanna do those getups with 32. All those strong ladies make me feel weak and pitifull. ;)

@Sauli I have the same press and jerk numbers as you and I also struggle with a 24 kg get up.

I'm doing S&S with the 32 daily and it takes about 10 minutes or so. When I feel it's just too extremely easy I'll move up to the 40 again. I've done the routine with the 40 several times in the past. I think when you go past 1/3 of your bodyweight it's harder to maintain the strength. I'm about 98 kg, so the 32 is perfect for me. I wonder if I'll get to 48 by this Christmas.

Couple of my relatives live in Norway and few only works there. Norway is more expensive, but things are also better in there than in Finland (where I live). I mean wealth etc.

Im in for the goal of simple by end of the year. Might be a tricky start to year as a house move is imminent with a stop gap at in laws so kbs going in storage - hope a local gym has bells. Be weird for me practising at a public gym as so used to working out at home in underpants.

My progress so far has been slow and steady and currently sticking with 24. Passed the tests but dont feel like I own the bell yet. Thinking ahead I am kind of unsure whether to go 28 or jump to 32 - will decide later.

Definitely aim to pay more attention to the stretches, breathing and little details I have probably glossed over.

So far I feel great from S+S with lots of niggles and mobility issues sorting themselves out slowly but surely so as long as that continues throughout the year I'll be happy. Good luck to everyone with their progress!

That's my first post so I just want to say hello :)
I really appreciate the knowledge and kindness of people on this forum and hope that some day I will belong to StrongFirst community :)

Hello @damogari. You are here; therefore, you belong to the StrongFirst community :) If you attend a class or earn a certification someday - even better!

"All of your attention is on technique and power, and zero brain cells need to be involved in analyzing the workout and planning how to change it. What an opportunity to become an ultimate technician, just like an old-time strongman!"
- Tsatsouline, Pavel.

I plan to hit simple and/or sinister...when I hit it. Tomorrow, next month, six month from now...who cares? I'm not a pro athlete.
Two decades of training with some success at national and world level powerlifting have shown me that attaching a deadline is foolish. Unless you are a pro athlete whose ENTIRE LIFE revolves around training, setting a specific time to hit a training goal is merely setting yourself up for failure.

I am of course speaking from experience, learning the hard way. :cool:

Be smarter than me!

Life can come at you fast.
  • Instead, focus all your attention on technique and power.
  • Instead, be a masterful student of strength.
  • Instead, always take the time to do the recovery work.
  • Instead, always take the time to prepare that healthy meal.
  • Instead, always be kind to yourself.
  • Instead, be patient with life.
  • Instead, be patient with training.
Stick with the program, follow the system, be patient. You will get there.

Life can come at you fast.
  • Instead, focus all your attention on technique and power.
  • Instead, be a masterful student of strength.
  • Instead, always take the time to do the recovery work.
  • Instead, always take the time to prepare that healthy meal.
  • Instead, always be kind to yourself.
  • Instead, be patient with life.
  • Instead, be patient with training.
Stick with the program, follow the system, be patient. You will get there

@The Nail

I love this. Spoken from the voice of experience. I look back over my exercise life (I am soon to be 46, only took up exercise around the age of 35) and there are so many things I wish I had done differently earlier on....certainly not beat myself up so frequently with hard-go-all-out-everyday- workouts and complain I was so beat up and tired!

Regarding S&S specifically, I am shocked at myself actually that I have stuck with it for so long. I started June 1 last year. I did attempt to start it once shortly after the book was published (I lasted a pitiful 6 weeks only) and lost focus due to the "exercise ADHD" that so many people seem to have.

I think once I had hit around the 3-4 month mark is when it really started to feel like the "brushing your teeth" ie-habit like Pavel mentions. Yesterday I did all my sets of swings with the 20kg for the first time, after working up to them set by set. I would have never thought that last June as that bell looked too HUUUUUGE for one hand. But the whole setup and progression of the program has gotten me there. For the women's standard it is 24kg, and that looks huge, but yes, I will get there.

I feel so much more mobile due to doing getups and I daresay that they have been more beneficial for my tends-to-be-stiff L shoulder and T spine than all the physio I have ever done. My overall movements in everyday life feel more put together and solid and graceful. I like that it is a practice, not a "workout", it is not complicated (me having to figure out what to do next, it's there and I just do it), and it has become almost meditative for me, with little things to focus and improve upon.

Most of all now being at this point in the journey, 8 months in, I find that I feel so much more in tune with how I am feeling when I practice. Like being honest with myself that I really do need that extra 30 sec of rest, I may be passing the talk test, and my heart rate has dropped, but REALLY will those next 10 swings be as crisp as they could be? Then I do them and BOOM they are good....and I am glad I waited, and proper technique and muscle memory has been reinforced for me yet again, and I am not waking up tired and sore from busting my a$$ like so many other programs I have done. Another bonus!

"Be patient, you will get there"...thanks for that reminder, and for not setting a deadline specifically. I actually recall thinking I would meet Simple by the end of last year because after all it was by far not the first time I had ever picked up a kettlebell (ha! How humbled was I...!), but it's better that I not rush and I just relax into the journey. It happens when it happens, and slower helps you learn so many things about yourself and life and your capabilities along the way.

Hello,

I think when you go past 1/3 of your bodyweight it's harder to maintain the strength
I agree with that.

I think going beyond requires a real dedication. I currently weigh 63 - 64kg and IMO and my goal was to achieve Simple. I did. However, going further on the two moves may become taxing if ones wants to get new skills. I kept progressing with the swings (currently @40) but now I only maintain my GU @32kg by doing them here and there.

It is difficult to maintain ones maximal on every move, every time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My overall movements in everyday life feel more put together and solid and graceful.
Ha, I first noticed this one day when I was washing my hands at the sink and realized my hips were not underneath me. At that point I thought "hmmm, this guy is onto something!"

It happens when it happens, and slower helps you learn so many things about yourself and life and your capabilities along the way.
This is the true value of serious physical training. This is a life lesson that challenging physical training teaches that carries over into all aspects of life. And it's not as easily learned or as obvious outside of physical training.

Hello,

I agree with that.

I think going beyond requires a real dedication. I currently weigh 63 - 64kg and IMO and my goal was to achieve Simple. I did. However, going further on the two moves may become taxing if ones wants to get new skills. I kept progressing with the swings (currently @40) but now I only maintain my GU @32kg by doing them here and there.

It is difficult to maintain ones maximal on every move, every time.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well, based on the apparent fact that it’s hard to maintain anything past 1/3 body weight, if you weigh 63 kg then 1/3 of that is 21 kg, so if you were able to do S&S daily with the 24 kg bell you’d be getting adequate exercise I’d think.

Simple is easy for me to maintain because it’s exactly 1/3 my bodyweight. I’ve certainly managed to do the entire S&S routine single handedly with the 40 kg kettlebell, but if I take a few days off, I lose it and have to go back to 32, which is very easy for me to do.

Hello,

if you weigh 63 kg then 1/3 of that is 21 kg, so if you were able to do S&S daily with the 24 kg bell you’d be getting adequate exercise I’d think
Yes exactly. Simple was a goal I wanted to achieve. It was a kind of "performance peak". Then, I wanted to get new skills so I was obliged to decrease my S&S level.

Today, I did some GUs @ 32 just to see if I was still able to do them. I did not worked on them for months and I passed them. However, I have to admit they was a little harder than before !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I forgot to take both bells with me this week to the motel, so I had to use the big bell for my get ups. It was tough, but doable. I think I can use it as my daily bell, but may need a little rest in between. I can always scale back on the weekend. It will be nice to only have to truck one bell around, but I'll miss my farmers walks around the motel. I just can't win.

Of course everyone is different, but judging by weights you are using on the other exercises, I would guess that all you need is some practice doing get ups with the 24kg. You are probably strong enough.

You were right about that. Get up is getting easier and stronger every day. Today i made easy and strong 5x1 @24kg. I stay with this weight at least month, but I can already smell that 32kg get up. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom