all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Simple or Sinister standard by December 2017, Who is going to do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Started S&S with my 35th birthday in November 2016 with intention of hitting simple by my 36th (5'11", 175#). Had used kettlebell some in the past for functional training but this was my first time with one hand swings. Now about 3-4 years away from regular training thanks to kids (another interesting thread on this forum). I have done a couple sessions with a local SFG II to solidify form (and make sure I didn't have any dangerous habits).

My goal was to get the program in more days than I don't and so far so good (43 days out of a possible 79). I was able to start integrating the 24 kg my 20th session for TGUs and 30th session for swings. Unfortunately, tweaked an old upper back injury while lifting kids and shoveling snow and proceeded to do S&S with a little pain on TGUs hence exacerbating the problem (or at least not making it better as it was limiting my range of motion. Have gotten back on track with OS resets though stepped back to the 16 kg bell (completely pain free). Learned a valuable lesson.

What I like most about the program is that you don't have to think about any workout of the day or balancing arms/legs or push/pull or various cycling. It can be time compressed a bit by using a lighter bell if time is tight. If I miss a couple days in a row (sick kids, busy work schedule) I can return. If I feel strong I can make it more challenging.

Most importantly I'm feeling stronger and enjoying the practice.

Thank you to everyone who posts (I have been an avid reader).

Simple is coming sooner that I tought. I Did first get ups today with 32kg after one month. I Did little modifications to program, but goal is still the same. Perhaps I continue my journey to achieving sinister when I truly achieve simple goal first.

Hello,

What did you do :p

Actually, it does not really matter if it works well on you. Congrats ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks. Get ups have been my weakness so I do them first. I feel more fresh and there is no fatique at all so form is better and I feel stronger while doing them.
I also reduced volume in both exercises cause I felt I needed it, same reason more fresh, no fatique. I do 3-5x1 get ups, mostly 3-4 sets and 6-10x10 swings.

Some point I propably change order of the exercises back to normal s&s.
Changing order of the exercises has been success for my get up form and strenght.

I am in and have started my way to Simple.

Bought my first kettlebells about three years ago and the S&S book around then. KB's become door stops and book read, but little activity. Starting playing with the KB's about five months ago but just never committed.

bio - 49 years old, moderately active biker, skiier, 5k runner, but at 5'8" and 185lbs two months ago, not in very good shape. Low strength, to much mass around the waist. Have always been a good athlete, but high-stress corporate job, lack of commitment to exercise, and liking wine and food has taken its tool. Realized that at the cusp of 50, things need to change.

Started to focus on more on health a few months ago and getting more serious with KB's a month ago. Did a timing test last night with 20kg 1HSW and 24kg TGU to get a baseline. First time I had timed myself. Completed both within the test time. OHS took about 7.5/10 effort, TGU 9.5/10.

So training for Simple has started. I have already seen a benefit in the last month, which has been a real motivator.

well one year has nearly past... december is near ( so is new the vikings season). how are you guys now?

I spent a lot of the year injured and rehabbing, so I had to rethink and reapproach they idea of Sinister for now. I've moved towards snatching a lot more over the last few months - at first with A+A and now with Strong Endurance experimental protocols.

I'm now working on a 1/2 bodyweight press alongside snatches. Feels like going back to RoP, but at a different level to last time. Maybe I can look at Sinister after that (though I'd really like to give RoTK a look as well at some point).

Moved onto 40kg by the end October. Got up to 100 Swings and 10 TGU. On KB strong short course..
Pressing up
TGU still at 40kg
DL 2 ×BW
Snatch endurance down

You win some..you like some

I reached Simple in August. I got the time standard with 24kg in February, so it took 6 months with 32kg to get the rest period down.

I waved the rest period with the swings (“pushing it”) once or twice a week, backing off slightly the other days. But the weekly average work:rest ratio decreased over time.

For getups I varied the weight and reps, so one day was 4 x 2/2 @ 16, one was 5 x 1/1 @ 24, and Heavy day was 3 x 1/1 @ 32. I started with one set (1/side) every 5:00 on Heavy day, until I could do 3 every 2:00. Then one day I just felt strong and went for all 10 reps in 10:00.

I’m in RoP now, and train in the early morning. I did S&S in the evenings, and looking back know I could’ve made faster progress with 4-5 days of training in the morning, instead of 3 (sometimes 4) days in the evening, due to busier evenings.

My girlfriend is going to do it with 40kg swings and 32kg turkish get up. Her bodyweight is 70kg. Already did 8+8 swing in 5 mins and 10 get ups with 32 (1 get up every 1.5 min)

My girlfriend is going to do it with 40kg swings and 32kg turkish get up. Her bodyweight is 70kg. Already did 8+8 swing in 5 mins and 10 get ups with 32 (1 get up every 1.5 min)
That is very impressive!

My wife started S&S earlier this year and is up to 100 24kg swings (two-arm) and all getups at 16kg. A 20kg is on our shopping list - her for one-arm swings and getup progression, me for an intermediate pressing weight.

I am still working on the Simple standard. Last week I tested myself and finished the protocol in 17 minutes. So close and still so far.

I started the year with 24 kg training and made a resolution to reach Simple by December, which I thought was a conservative goal, but turned out to be ambitious. I have learned a lot from my own mistakes though and I came to appreciate the subtle brilliance of Pavel's program and the book even more. Simple is definately something every beginner should reach before they can decide where to go from there.

That is very impressive. Out of interest, does she train in anything else beside S&S?

A general question I toss right out. Do you guys use the ”standard” weights, 16, 24 and 32 or do you use bells with less increments when transitioning to a heavier bell?

I use 28 and 32 for swings and get-ups but I think it might(?) hinder progressing to heavier weight due to the fact that the 28 is relativley close to the 32 as compared to the 24? I would have more energy going from a set with 24 rather than 28. Is my thinking wrong?

I am really thinking about pursuing Sinister now. I think it is a very reasonable performance goal that just takes a lot of consistency and patience.

And @Stefan Olsson I think smaller increments are a much better option if you have access to the 4kg increments.

A general question I toss right out. Do you guys use the ”standard” weights, 16, 24 and 32 or do you use bells with less increments when transitioning to a heavier bell?

I use 28 and 32 for swings and get-ups but I think it might(?) hinder progressing to heavier weight due to the fact that the 28 is relativley close to the 32 as compared to the 24? I would have more energy going from a set with 24 rather than 28. Is my thinking wrong?
Can’t speak to +32kg, but I went from 16 to 24 (didn’t feel like a big jump, even though it is 50%), then to 32, which is a 33% jump. This felt harder and took longer. I just slowly incorporated the heavier weight a set at a time (for swings, 5 reps per arm at first), and had plenty of rest (~4:00) for Heavy getups.

I liked the big jumps - I couldn’t get lazy with an intermediate weight and hang out where it was more comfortable than to keep pushing. In other words, “easy” with a set of “hard” allowed me to focus on the “hard” set compared to “medium”/“hard”, if that makes sense.

Can’t speak to +32kg, but I went from 16 to 24 (didn’t feel like a big jump, even though it is 50%), then to 32, which is a 33% jump. This felt harder and took longer. I just slowly incorporated the heavier weight a set at a time (for swings, 5 reps per arm at first), and had plenty of rest (~4:00) for Heavy getups.

I liked the big jumps - I couldn’t get lazy with an intermediate weight and hang out where it was more comfortable than to keep pushing. In other words, “easy” with a set of “hard” allowed me to focus on the “hard” set compared to “medium”/“hard”, if that makes sense.

Thank you! Your answer made perfectly clear to me. Will evaluate and see what suites me best!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom