all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Simple or Sinister standard by December 2017, Who is going to do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Simple is still a long way to go, but I dare say I will finally comfortably 1hs 24kg 10x10, and do the get ups with 32kg before my bday (22.dec) 4 months.on the program.

I started S&S in Jan 2017. I thought a conservative estimation was to achieve Simple in 1 year. I was wrong. 11 months and an old tendinosis have passed, and I have only now started working with the 24 kg kettlebell. So still a long way to go. I´m responding quite well to the practices lately, so I´m confident I will make the Simple standard eventually. I´ll keep going.

Thanks to S&S I have achieved something for the first time in my life: I have trained consistently and sticked to a plan for 11 months.

Yeah, I was foolish enough to think that this old man could easily complete this plan in a year as well. I feel that I own the 20 kg kettlebell, and that I have only a few weeks of payments before I own the 24 kg. The TGU program has done wonders for my motivation to keep going. So, I will be going back to the S&S challenge in a week or so, and I hope to hit Simple before Father's Day.

I started S&S in Jan 2017. I thought a conservative estimation was to achieve Simple in 1 year. I was wrong. 11 months and an old tendinosis have passed, and I have only now started working with the 24 kg kettlebell. So still a long way to go. I´m responding quite well to the practices lately, so I´m confident I will make the Simple standard eventually. I´ll keep going.

Thanks to S&S I have achieved something for the first time in my life: I have trained consistently and sticked to a plan for 11 months.

This was my new years resolution this last year, but as a completely untrained stick figure, who started out with 15lb Get Ups, I realized this was unrealistic for me, haha. I was also still abusing alcohol a lot in the first half of the year, but I'm now 7 months sober, and my frequency of S&S has become more consistent.

I'm still chasing the 24k, and just ordered a 20k to get ups, as my 16k get ups are at a 10 second pause at each stage, but it's still difficult to work with the 24k. It's a competition bell, so I think the size is throwing me off a bit, and putting my arm at an angle that I'm not used to at all.

I have still done a few successful TGU with the 24k, but I'd feel more comfortable working with a 20k before doing so.

Congrats on conquering your demon. That is an accomplishment in itself. Self awareness, and the fortitude to change is an admirable trait, well done.

Take time to own the 20 kg kettlebell before moving to the 24 kg kettlebell. I did the same thing, and it makes a big difference. Be patient & enjoy the journey. The heavy kettlebells will still be there when you are ready to challenge them. Work the 20 kg kettlebell like you have with the 16 kg before going after the 24 kg. You will be rewarded with a deeper foundation of strength & confidence in form, both will aid your focus on getting up with the 24 kg kettlebell.

This was my new years resolution this last year, but as a completely untrained stick figure, who started out with 15lb Get Ups, I realized this was unrealistic for me, haha. I was also still abusing alcohol a lot in the first half of the year, but I'm now 7 months sober, and my frequency of S&S has become more consistent.

I'm still chasing the 24k, and just ordered a 20k to get ups, as my 16k get ups are at a 10 second pause at each stage, but it's still difficult to work with the 24k. It's a competition bell, so I think the size is throwing me off a bit, and putting my arm at an angle that I'm not used to at all.

I have still done a few successful TGU with the 24k, but I'd feel more comfortable working with a 20k before doing so.

I am aiming for Simple at least (female). Started June 1 this year, but not totally unfit and have a kettlebell exposure previously.

Met time standards for the 12kg weight getup quite fast, have had all 5 sets of getups at 16kg since late Nov, time is slowly creeping down. Have not tested them because I am working on adding sets of 20kg one arm swings, currently 7 of my 10 sets.

I am anticipating probably maybe in the fall to near the end of the year to meet Simple, but who knows? Just plugging along on the journey!

Not going to happen this year due to an injury (R hand fracture--metacarpal) and not practicing from start of Feb to almost the end of April.

I was really disheartened at first as this happened while I was making good progress. And, I was very VERY skeptical when so many wonderful people on this forum reassured me that previous strength would come back quickly. It is December now, and it's great to be back at that point I left off at...16kg getups and just this weekend now bumped up my last sets of swings to have them all at 20kg. Obviously won't hit the goal by end of the month, lol, but it will be a good journey spent when I do. I have been learning a lot about myself, and enjoying the support if the forum, and the carryover of strength into other areas of my life

Just an obstacle to overcome, a simple but challenging test of your resolve and dedication. One you passed by with nary a thought. Keep up the good work.

Not going to happen this year due to an injury (R hand fracture--metacarpal) and not practicing from start of Feb to almost the end of April.

I was really disheartened at first as this happened while I was making good progress. And, I was very VERY skeptical when so many wonderful people on this forum reassured me that previous strength would come back quickly. It is December now, and it's great to be back at that point I left off at...16kg getups and just this weekend now bumped up my last sets of swings to have them all at 20kg. Obviously won't hit the goal by end of the month, lol, but it will be a good journey spent when I do. I have been learning a lot about myself, and enjoying the support if the forum, and the carryover of strength into other areas of my life

Hey thanks for the support everyone :) Overcoming my bad habits has been one of the most satisfying things I have ever done, along with sticking regularly with S&S, and seeing the improvements of my body. At 29 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life, and look better than I have in years.

I really enjoy S&S, and can see myself sticking with it for a long time. Hopefully by this time next year I will at least have begun working with the 32k. I remember a time when I thought it would be impossible for me to ever get up a 24k, and within a few months I had done my first couple.

That is very impressive. Out of interest, does she train in anything else beside S&S?
Yeah, she is doing 3 times a week powerlifting linear program and 2 days of S&S. Before she was training only kb hardstyle for 1.5 year. She is also very close to do 24kg snatch test in 5 mins. Already did 120 reps with 20 kg in five minutes.

The swings have progressed very well for me, although I would have to say that I do not "own" the 32 yet. There are times when I bang out sets of ten with an effortless feeling but it is far from consistent. After a hernia repair put me behind for 6+ weeks I started back conservatively with the 16. After a couple of weeks it became clear that I didn't need to hold back and went to the 24 followed by the 28 soon thereafter. The get-ups will be the journey. I won't retrace old territory about thoracic mobility issues, but a 20 is enough for now. Working segments of the TGU plus arm bars have done good things so while I certainly want to achieve Simple asap I have come to really appreciate the process.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom