all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
August 13

Swings - 5 x 12 kg
Snatches - 5 x 12 kg
Cleans and Presses - 5 x 12 kg
Front Squats - 5 x 12 kg
Reverse Get-up - 5 x 12 kg

3 sets on each arm....Better session than last time, but I was still pretty wiped. I did enjoy this session far more than the last one.

WTH Effect has struck me yet again. After my workout yesterday afternoon, I got a text from one of our rugby team board members. My team plays in my subdivision, so whenever we have something to do for my subdivision now, I will be there, representing the team.

Well, we apparently volunteered to send a few guys to assist in clearing sandbags from the heavy rain & flooding that occurred up here in northern Illinois. 25 pallets, 25-30 sandbags per pallet, and all 6 of us handled almost every bag, left us exhausted. I guess handling somewhere between 625 & 750 sandbags will wear you out. I was sore and tired walking home, and had no energy at all last night.

I got up this morning, a little stiffness in my hamstrings, but not bad. A little stiffness in my shoulders & upper back, but again, not bad. WTH? I helped move all those sand bags, and I feel just fine today. I guess these kettlebells are working for me.....;)

August 14

2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

Mobility day today. While I felt fine, there was some fatigue/soreness deep in my legs and back later in the day. So, rather than get frustrated, I simply stretched and did some mobility drills. Just what I needed. Back to the kettlebells tomorrow.

August 15

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 4 x 10 x 24 kg, 6 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 2 x 2 x 24 kg, 3 x 2 x 20 kg

Great session tonight. Moved up to the 20 kg kettlebell for Halos & Goblet Squats, it felt real good. I felt that I needed to get back to the 24 kg kettlebell for swings and TGUs, so 2 sets with the 24 kg and then 3 with the 20 kg. All around great session tonight.

August 16

2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Swings - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Snatches - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Cleans and Presses - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Front Squats - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Reverse Get-up - 3 x 5 x 12 kg

Pretty good session tonight. I do like the change of pace with this workout, but I am not sure if I want to continue alternating this with my S&S work. I may go back to just S&S work.

August 17

Unscheduled day off today. Hard to go workout when my grandson wants some "Grandpa Time" . So, we hung out until I had to go get dressed for rugby practice. While I missed a session, I thought I had a good enough reason to do so. Friday is a scheduled day off, so, I may get some work in tomorrow, maybe not. I will be back to work Saturday morning before we take on Fox Valley Saturday afternoon.

Have a great day!

August 18

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 6 x 10 x 24 kg, 4 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 24 kg, 2 x 2 x 20 kg

I increased the use of the 24 kg kettlebell on set with each arm & on set of get ups. I am building up to using just it for my training, so I can start working towards the 32 kg kettlebell. Overall great session today.

August 19

Swings - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Snatches - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Cleans and Presses - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Front Squats - 3 x 5 x 12 kg
Reverse Get-up - 1 x 5 x 12 kg

Definitely the last session of Deep Six for a while. I am going back to just S&S. While this is a good, quick workout, I enjoy S&S more, and feel better performing S&S. So, good experiment, but it's time to end it, for now. Once I have met the Simple standards, maybe I will come back to this routine.

August 21

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 8 x 10 x 24 kg, 2 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 4 x 2 x 24 kg, 1 x 2 x 20 kg

I increased the use of the 24 kg kettlebell one more set with each arm & one more set of get ups. I am building up to using just the 24 kg kettlebell for my training. Once I get there, then I can start working towards the 32 kg kettlebell. Overall great session again tonight. I felt strong in each set, and each repetition. I enjoyed this session.

August 22

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Another good session tonight. I went EMOM again today for the 1HS, and it felt really good. My get ups felt stronger tonight, because I focused on tension away from the kettlebell, and it made a big difference in my balance and form.

August 23

2 x 20 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Mobility day, as I really was stiff all day. This was a great session, I felt so much better after about an hour of just stretching.

August 24

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Swings were EMOM, all ten sets, and get ups were done about 45 seconds or so apart. My whole session took about 35 minutes, and it felt great. I put on a sweatshirt, and had my sweatpants on for some additional sweating. I have worn sweatshirts & sweatpants for the last couple sessions, and it really feels good to me. Going to have to keep this method going for a while. I will add the last set of 24 kg kettlebells on Saturday or Sunday.

August 25

2 x 20 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Mobility day today, I got drafted to play softball, so I needed flexibility more than a kettlebell session. Felt great all around, might need to start getting up early and incorporating flexibility sessions.

August 26

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Another session in full sweats, and it feels great. EMOM on the swings, and about 90 seconds between TGUs, 40 minutes for today's session. I think I will go another week before I incorporate the 24 kg kettlebell completely. No sense in rushing my progression.

August 27

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

I wrote yesterday that I might just hold off on incorporating the 24 kg kettlebell completely, and today I was feeling strong, and went all 100 swings & 10 TGUs with the 24 kg kettlebell & it felt great. I know it sounds odd, but working out in full sweats is more enjoyable for me than just wearing shorts & a tshirt. It doesn't hurt that the kettlebell is also making my heart race. Overall, great session to start the week.

August 28

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

I moved up to the 24 kg kettlebell for goblet squats tonight, and I am glad I did. I went deeper into the squat, and I felt a deeper stretch in my hips. I did some prying & some curls as well with the heavier kettlebell, and I felt it. My swings were EMOM again tonight, and they are feeling sharper and stronger. I tried both the step over & the wiper method for my TGUs, and I determined that, for now, I prefer the wiper motion to the step over. I was surprised to see that my get ups only took about 13 minutes. So, I guess I should now look to start whittling down my rest time between sets for my swings. While 10 minutes doesn't seem like enough time, in order to move up, according to the S&S standard, I need to halve my swing time. This should be a real challenge. Another good session in the books.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom