all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So, I guess I should now look to start whittling down my rest time between sets for my swings.
Mike I would say the opposite.... start working more power into your swings and keep your daily "training" right around the 10-12 minute range.
from my readings and experience( I'm sure others can tell you better than me) if you start "whittling down" your rest between swings you will start tapping into your bodies resources for power.
stay at 10-12 minutes and work on the power of the swing.... the time will come down automatically. then every once in a while throw in a "nonstop" swing session if you want to go all out...
I learned a lot when I started doing those every 2 weeks. I hope this makes sense and I am not speaking out of turn... you are doping great I don't to see you start going to other direction because you are compressing your rest times and stealing your power away because you start breathing heavy. Keep up the great work and by no means am I an expert becasuse I'm learning just like you but that is exactly what every once told when i said the same thing. Good Luck!

Interesting advice @Strong Rick. I hadn't considered working for more power in my swings, just chasing the time. Thank you for the input, it makes sense to stay in the 10-12 minute range, and becoming more explosive in each rep and each set, slowly, and occasionally going "nonstop" or chasing time. Thank you for that!

I agree with @Strong Rick's advice! Develop your power capacity in daily sessions, do the non-stop swings every once in a while (every 2 weeks or so), and sometimes when you need a lighter session try this ---- instead of going to a lighter weight, play with the "volume knob" described in S&S, swing the heavier weight but with slightly less intensity and experiment with finding that optimum setting (read "hardstyle laziness" chapter of S&S).

August 29

No workout today, I helped a friend move some furniture instead. It is amazing to me how working up to swinging 24 kg has improved my strength. We had 4 of us to move a living room and bedroom, with me being the oldest by 20 years or more, and I was the one not gasping for air or tired afterwards. It was funny when one of the younger guys asked me why I was in a hurry. I wasn't, I just wasn't fatigued like he was. Just further proof that this is working for me.

I was actually considering one of two routes. Either shorten the time between swings and incorporating a set of 2HS with the 32 kg kettlebell after a week or two of 1HS with the 24 kg kettlebell for all 100 swings. S&S progression dictates that I hit the time standard before moving up to the next kettlebell, which makes sense to me. I have also read where incorporating 2HS with the next larger kettlebell, and slowly getting used to it seems to be common as well.

I had not considered this side, not yet. I thought that would be more valuable once I hit the Simple standard, and was trying to accomplish the Sinister standard. I will read this section a couple times this evening for sure. Thank you both for the wonderful advice.

Mike I would say the opposite.... start working more power into your swings and keep your daily "training" right around the 10-12 minute range.
from my readings and experience( I'm sure others can tell you better than me) if you start "whittling down" your rest between swings you will start tapping into your bodies resources for power.
stay at 10-12 minutes and work on the power of the swing.... the time will come down automatically. then every once in a while throw in a "nonstop" swing session if you want to go all out...
I learned a lot when I started doing those every 2 weeks. I hope this makes sense and I am not speaking out of turn... you are doping great I don't to see you start going to other direction because you are compressing your rest times and stealing your power away because you start breathing heavy. Keep up the great work and by no means am I an expert becasuse I'm learning just like you but that is exactly what every once told when i said the same thing. Good Luck!

I agree with @Strong Rick's advice! Develop your power capacity in daily sessions, do the non-stop swings every once in a while (every 2 weeks or so), and sometimes when you need a lighter session try this ---- instead of going to a lighter weight, play with the "volume knob" described in S&S, swing the heavier weight but with slightly less intensity and experiment with finding that optimum setting (read "hardstyle laziness" chapter of S&S).

August 30

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Trained for recovery this session & it felt good. I went about 2-3 minutes between swing sets and about the same for get ups. I focused on power in each swing set, and on form & tension in each get up. I found that my swing form was squat based, not hip hinging. I fixed that & found a more explosive swing form this evening.

I tightened up my get ups by focusing on more tension, which in turn firmed up my get up form. Great session tonight.

August 31

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Went EMOM on my swings tonight, and they felt much better tonight. The better hinge form also got me a little deeper, which in turn really got my heart rate up. Man, that was great!

My get ups were far more solid tonight, the tension focused my body better, which allowed for a smoother transition from stage to stage.

Tomorrow is a day off, a day to rest & recover, and prepare for Saturday's session.

September 3

Took the day off, spent the day shopping with the wife. Loads of sales for Labor Day, so we walked a lot.

September 4

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Went EMOM on my swings today, with my improved hinge form, really got my heart rate up again today. My get ups were solid again today, the focused tension allowed for a smoother get up from start to finish.

September 5

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Going EMOM for swings is getting real enjoyable for me. I am finding little flaws that I can shore up pretty much in my next set. I found the float and my plank in all 10 sets. I think I may have found my "optimum setting" where I am getting more out of less effort. I am recovering faster now than I was before, but I am nowhere near ready to go after the time standard with my swings. I am seriously thinking of adding in 2HS with the 32 kg kettlebell to ramp up my conditioning, so I can prepare to challenge the time standard for my swings.

My get ups were smooth, crisp and surprisingly quick tonight. I went from the press to my hand with ease for all ten reps, and there were no sticking points in any part of my get ups tonight, at all. I kept looking at the kettlebell, expecting to see that I grabbed the wrong one, but I had my 24 kg kettlebell for every repetition. My get ups took about 10-11 minutes tonight. So, either I had a great session, or my get ups are progressing faster than my swings. I am going with both. :D;)

It is funny, that just a couple of weeks ago, I was doubting that I would be able to progress much past the 24 kg kettlebell. I was struggling with my swings, and my get ups were shaky. Then, I tried going EMOM with my swings, and things started getting better. I was challenging my body, and it was responding. Now, instead of being ready to give up on the 32 kg, I am looking at it like, ok, your turn. TGU's still are a little scary with it, but like the 24 kg, I am sure I will be able to work it in and become proficient with it, given enough time and practice.

Going EMOM for swings is getting real enjoyable for me.
maybe a newbie question with this EMOM type of thing but when you do this,,, do you swing 10x's then put the bell down and rest the remainder or swing 10 (left) then swing switch and swing 10 (right) than put the bell down and rest the remainder.

I hope that question makes sense....

This question makes perfect sense. I had to ask the same one, so I understand where you are coming from. I do a set of ten, set the kettlebell down, recover for the rest of the minute, and then start with the other arm at the top of the minute. So like this:

1:00 10L, rest for about 40-42 seconds
2:00 10R, rest for about 40-42 seconds
3:00 10L, rest for about 40-42 seconds
4:00 10R, rest for about 40-42 seconds

And so forth.

maybe a newbie question with this EMOM type of thing but when you do this,,, do you swing 10x's then put the bell down and rest the remainder or swing 10 (left) then swing switch and swing 10 (right) than put the bell down and rest the remainder.

I hope that question makes sense....

This question makes perfect sense. I had to ask the same one, so I understand where you are coming from. I do a set of ten, set the kettlebell down, recover for the rest of the minute, and then start with the other arm at the top of the minute. So like this:

1:00 10L, rest for about 40-42 seconds
2:00 10R, rest for about 40-42 seconds
3:00 10L, rest for about 40-42 seconds
4:00 10R, rest for about 40-42 seconds

And so forth.
Thanks Mike!

September 6

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Great session again tonight. Swings were EMOM again tonight, and they were crisp & sharp all the way through. TGUs were again sharp with proper tension balancing my form.

September 7

Unscheduled day off, gotta celebrate the anniversary.... :eek::D;)

I did get some mobility training in later in the evening.

Commando Rocks
Tactical Frog Stretch
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

September 9

Still not feeling all that great, did my mobility training and felt somewhat better.

Commando Rocks
Tactical Frog Stretch
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

September 10

After 3 days off, and feeling a little under the weather, I originally decided to take one more day off, to get feeling better. In the afternoon, I felt pretty good compared to the morning, so I got dressed to workout. I decided to change things up some, as I felt that I needed to challenge my self.

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

2HS 10 x 10 x 32 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

I went for 2HS with the 32 kg for a change of pace. Damn if that kettlebell isn't still heavy. I went 4 sets EMOM, and was gassed. So, the last 6 sets were for recovery. That felt real good. I dropped down to the 20 kg for my get ups, to focus on each step, and they were really sharp & focused.

That was just what I needed. A hard challenge with the 32 kg, and the focused relaxation with the 20 kg made for a great overall session. I will go back to the 24 kg tomorrow, but tonight's session may come back around a little more often.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom