all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
September 11

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24, 8 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

The plan tonight was to go EMOM with the 24 kg kettlebell for swings. My body had other ideas. What a struggle tonight. I guess the 32 kg took more out of me than I thought. After one set with each arm, I dropped down to the 20 kg kettlebell, because I had no pop in my hips and I really felt the strain on my forearms. So, I dropped down one size. I found my hip pop & the plank in the rest of my sets. I did go EMOM, but the first two sets almost should not have counted, with my poor form and no hip pop. My TGUs were strong throughout, solid at each stage from initial press to final set down of the kettlebell.

It is interesting how 4 kg made a huge difference in my form and function tonight.

way to work and adapt on the fly because you were not "feeling it".

It is better to be safe than to push yourself and end up hurt and on the shelf... as @The Nail says "brake for the curves"

Be careful though because that is getting dangerously close to smart training:);):D

September 12

Mobility session ahead of rugby practice tonight. Felt stiff and sore all day today, I just hope I am not getting sick.....

Commando Rocks
Tactical Frog Stretch
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

The commando rocks are an amazing exercise. I may have to make them a daily routine.

The commando rocks are an amazing exercise. I may have to make them a daily routine.
I've been doing 10 of them before every training session, and 10 of them before I do the evening's QL & 90/90 stretches. They work great for loosening up the muscles that get cranked up sitting all day!

September 13

Commando Rocks
Stretching with an exercise band - Thanks for the suggestion @305pelusa!

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Great session tonight. I started with the commando rocks, man those work great. Then, I did a part of a routine that @305pelusa was kind enough to share with me. I will work towards the entire session over the weekend. I must admit that mobility training is an important part, at least to me, of a good session.

My swings were EMOM tonight, and they felt strong & sharp. I think I may have found my "optimum setting" where my effort is easy, and my output is hard. TGUs were again tight as I am focused on offside tension from the arm holding the kettlebell. Overall I was very happy with my session.

September 14

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

I changed things up a little tonight, with tomorrow being a scheduled day off, I thought I would challenge myself to an extent. I did 20 1HS with my left, and 20 1HS right before setting the kettlebell down for set one & set two, with the last set being simply 10L & 10R. Wow, that was hard for the first time. I was so glad that I dropped down to the 20 kg kettlebell.....because that was a challenge. So, I thought, how can I push myself in get ups? Easy, when I stand up, I will do 5 presses, not push presses, but strict presses where I bring the kettlebell down to my shoulder as if it was in the rack position, and pressing it back up. Yeah, that wasn't overly well thought out.....the last two sets were rough, at least pressing....;)

All in all, it was a great session. Plenty of sweat, good form in all swings, solid stages in my get ups, nothing to complain about at all.

September 16

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

2HS 10 x 10 x 32 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Went back to the 2HS with the 32 kg kettlebell and the get ups with the 20 kg kettlebell. Absolutely crushed it. I had a couple too many last night, the 32 kg kettlebell took care of that feeling.....

The get ups were solid, no pressing when standing up this time. All in all a great session.

September 17

Commando Rocks
Tactical Frog Stretch
2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Great, great, great session today. Loads of mobility work, slowly and steadily. I really needed the mobility work, and it was just what I needed.

I went with the 20 kg kettlebell again today because the 32 kg kettlebell still worked me over again. I thoroughly enjoy working with it, but damn if it isn't still heavy. I will get there, eventually. I am enjoying the wavering of the weight of the kettlebell in my workouts. My session today was about recovery, so slow, steady work with rest until I could talk again.

I found a fitness store near me that had kettlebells on sale, and the 28 kg that I ordered had the same grip as my Rogue kettlebells, so I am looking forward to working with it either this week or next week.

September 18

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Stretching with an exercise band

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Swings felt off in almost every set, pop & plank were there, but they just felt off. TGUs were solid throughout the session. So, I let it go, realizing that I got all 10 sets of swings in EMOM, and felt good afterwards. Then, when it was time to go to bed, hips stiffened up, same with my lower back. I must not have been doing my swings correctly, because I felt it later. So, mobility training tomorrow night, and Wednesday will be for swing diagnosis, maybe with the 20 kg instead of the 24 kg.

September 19

2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
Commando Rocks
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x 90/90 stretch
Tactical Frog Stretch

Mobility work today, as the stiffness did not go away. I may look to incorporate more BW exercises, and reduce the S&S work, to widen my base of strength & flexibility before chasing down the 28 kg & the 32 kg kettlebell.

I may look to incorporate more BW exercises, and reduce the S&S work, to widen my base of strength & flexibility before chasing down the 28 kg & the 32 kg kettlebell.
I like the way you put that!
Boy that seems to make a whole bunch of sense....
That's like 2 weeks in row you are making smart decisions with your training..... I'm sensing a pattern here:cool::)!

September 20

Commando Rocks
2 x 16 kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x 90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

I put in the mobility work, which was very necessary. I also dropped down to the 20 kg kettlebell, and discovered that I was forcing things with the 24 kg kettlebell, just a little. So, if I am going to work with the 24 kg kettlebell, I will have to train to recovery. The 20 kg will have to be for speed, and EMOM work, for now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom