all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
September 21

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Stretching
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x 90/90 stretch
T-Spine Mobility work, 2 sets

Just some mobility work tonight. Life just got in the way of a session. Oh well, this felt great, and was needed.

September 24

Commando Rocks
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x Pullover with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Took a couple days off, just didn't have the time to get a session in. Dropped to the 20 kg kettlebell today, and it felt good all through the session. I did some needed mobility work beforehand, again, necessary work. Good session all around.

September 25

Commando Rocks
Tactical Frog Stretch
2 x 16kg Good Mornings
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Mobility was needed last night. I did not sleep particularly well, and woke up sore. All day, I could not loosen up, so mobility was the plan. The difference was measurable. I went slowly, and ended up taking about an hour to get this all done, and I was happy I did. Everything felt better, and with minimal mobility this morning, I feel much better than I did yesterday.

It is interesting to look back to see where I was last year:

September 15, 2016
I got on the treadmill for 5 minutes to warm up today, foam rolled my back & legs, along with some stretching.

Halos - 3 x 10 x 25lb KB
Goblet Squats - 3 x 5 x 25lb KB
Hip Raises - 3 sets of 10, holding for a 5 count at the top of each raise of my hips
Two-handed swings - 5 x 10 x 50lb KB
TGUs - 5 x 2 x 15 lb KB.

September 24, 2017
Commando Rocks
2 x Lunge Stretch
2 x Arm Bar with 12 kg kettlebell
2 x 90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Since I have worked with the 24 kg kettlebell, and the 32 kg kettlebell (2HS), then dropped back down to the 20 kg kettlebell for recovery, maybe it is time to stick with the program, and make my way up to the 28 kg kettlebell, following the protocol outlined in the book. So, tonight will see me grab the 28 kg kettlebell for one set of GS, the first 2 sets of 1HS, and the first set of TGUs. It is time to dial in my diet, focus my exercise, and just get after it. I will also be trying to change my schedule so that I can incorporate some of the BW exercises that @Strong Rick has mastered.....well, he performs his holds for 60 seconds......and mobility in the mornings.

Last edited:
September 26, 2017

Commando Rocks
90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 1 x 5 x 28 kg, 2 x 5 x 24 kg
1HS 2 x 10 x 28 kg, 8 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 1 x 10 x 28 kg, 4 x 2 x 24 kg

Started tonight with some necessary stretching, then went about working towards the 32 kg kettlebell. The 28 kg kettlebell felt heavy, but not too heavy. I will work a couple more times before adding sets, easing into it seems like the best way to go.

September 27, 2017

Commando Rocks
90/90 stretch

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 24 kg

Stretching again to start my session. I have also started doing some BW squats every hour or so at work. Sitting all day is not great, and standing & working on spreadsheets is no fun for me either. So, I have a storage room that is locked, that I am now using for 10-20 squats every other hour or every hour, depending on what I am working on at that time.

The whole session felt a little off. I think I am leaking in my swings, I noticed it last week as well. The pop & plank were there, but they felt off. I got all ten sets in EMOM, but they just didn't feel right again. TGUs were tough, but I powered through. I wasn't as stiff & sore when I went to bed, or when I got up this morning, but for some reason, the swings didn't feel like they should. So, down to the 20 kg kettlebell, or maybe I will do sets of 2HS with the 28 kg to see if I can figure it out.

September 28

Well, life got in the way last night. Between planning for a potluck on Saturday and going over a few things the wife wanted to go over before practice, I was left without enough time to workout. While I am not happy about it, I will take it as a recovery evening. Today may see a workout for the first time in a while, but definitely I will be back at it on Saturday.

Regardless of when, I have a plan. I will start out with the 20 kg kettlebell for everything. After 2 sessions, I will add one set of 1HS with the 24 kg, to try and figure out what is going on with my swings. My get ups seem strong enough that I may just stick with the 24 kg for them, and focus on the issues with my swing.

Happy Friday!

I have found an article, written by SFG II Jay Weedall that may have to be followed for the rest of the year.

HOW TO GET BETTER AT EVERYTHING BY TRAINING MULTIPLE GET-UPS

It really resonated with me. The volume of get ups sounds real good, and I see where he works swings into this program as complementary lifts. So, I am going to follow the advice of a couple of articles I read that were written by Chief SFG @Brett Jones. First, I am going to slow down, and make the 16 kg & 20 kg work for me in my swings, so I can make the lighter kettlebells work for me to make my swings stronger & better through volume.

Then, I am going to start the get up program above, following Brett's advice to structure a year of training. After 9+ months of S&S programming, I am going to work on this volume program for the rest of the year.

I know I haven't yet reached the Simple Standard, but I am instead broadening my platform of strength in order to continue in this pursuit. Since I will be doing more TGUs, I will also be working more mobility drills, some GTG squats throughout the day, and hopefully some BW exercises in as well down the road.

Have a Strong weekend!

October 1

I started my routine with a 50 minute walk, to warm up, covering 2.5 miles.

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 4 x 2 x 16 kg

I took a couple days off to start my new program so I would be fresh & focused. I dropped to the 20 kg kettlebell for my swings. My plan is to go up and down with the swing weight as I change the get up weight. Tonight felt great, I am looking forward to making my way through this program.

I did more commando rocks before I went to bed. These really loosen the hips.

October 2

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 20 kg

I should have listened to Jay Weedall, the creator of this get up routine. I went for 10 sets of 10, thinking that the lighter kettlebell would not cause any issues...Well, of course, I was wrong. I woke up stiff this morning. So, mental note, to listen to those that know better......

October 3

I had a dinner function that I completely forgot about, good thing I put it on my calendar, with a reminder....so no workout tonight. I did do some bodyweight goblet squats about every other hour during the day, to combat stiffness. They helped. I am looking forward to working out tomorrow night.

October 4

Commando Rocks
Shoulder stretching with exercise band
Hamstring stretching with exercise band

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 28 kg, 2 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 20 kg

I followed the program tonight, and it was interesting. I trained for recovery, and just took my time. Overall, it was a good workout.

October 5

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 28 kg, 2 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 20 kg

Trained for recovery in this session, not starting the next set until I was ready to go. Really felt good tonight. It is weird to me that I have dropped the total volume of training from 100 swings & 50 swings, and the weight, and I am still feeling like it is working. I guess I found another WTH effect. Friday will be an off day, so Happy Friday!

October 7

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 16 kg

Got a brief workout in this morning. I am thinking that I am going to jump ahead a few weeks, as the first four are to prepare your body for the volume of get ups. I was already doing more sets than are done in the first four weeks. Today's session was good, but it felt more like GTG than a session.

October 8

Commando Rocks

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 16 kg, 2 x 2 x 20 kg, 1 x 2 x 24 kg.

I modified the week 6 workout to begin to challenge myself. I did 3 sets of 1 rep with each arm today. I will workup to 1 set of 3 each way without stopping for the first set, same with the second set. Overall, great session this morning. This is what I was looking for, get ups are the rougher exercise, challenging the whole body better than swings. I will do a couple sets each workout with the 24 kg, and slowly work up to the 32 kg kettlebell. Once I have completed 6 to 8 weeks of this, I will look to get back into S&S to build up my swings to achieve the Simple standard.

October 9

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 4 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 4 x 3 x 16 kg, 2 x 2 x 20 kg

Great session tonight. I stayed pretty limber throughout the day by doing arm circles and body weight squats, so I really didn't feel the need to do any additional warm up. Today was a better session, 3 straight get ups with a 16 kg over head for one set was a bit challenging, but wow it felt great. I understand the volume waver a little better now, between the 16 kg & 20 kg is not a big one, but those two reps felt like the three with the smaller kettlebell. I am happy to have found this change of pace.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom