all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
March 4

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Challenge session today. I did my swings in just under 5 minutes, like 4:58/4:59. I started when the clock turned to the next minute and set the kettlebell down in time to see 5 minutes had just passed on the clock on my cable box. Get ups were done in about 7 minutes. I was pleased to meet these times. No, I did not rest for just a minute between them....

So, I will start adding the 24 kg in my work now. I will go slower than I did with the 20 kg, maybe every other session, to make sure I am adapting to the additional load.

"Without a struggle, there can be no progress."
Frederick Douglass

March 5

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

I was going to add a set with the 24 kg kettlebell starting today, but I needed to work out some stiffness that appeared late in the day today. So, easy session, lots of rest between sets, and I felt much better afterwards. Tomorrow will be another day, I should be able to start adding work with the 24 kg kettlebell then.

March 6

25 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 2 x 10 x 16 kg, 1 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24 kg, 8 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 1 x 2 x 24 kg, 4 x 2 x 20 kg

Tonight I added work with the 24 kg kettlebell. As unusual as it sounds, the sets with the 24 kg kettlebell felt as good as any set with the 20 kg kettlebell. Everything felt sharp & crisp, and the session actually went faster than I had planned, with no rushing by me whatsoever. The whole session just flowed from set to set.

So, yeah, great session tonight.

March 7

25 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Second day doing this workout, and again, it felt good all around and the time seemed to fly. I made sure I was recovered between sets, and everything was strong & sharp. I will do this set again tomorrow, take Friday off, and add another set with the 24 kg on Saturday. No sense rushing, I want to be sure I am ready before I add sets.

March 8

45 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Another night performing this workout, and it still felt good from start to finish. I focused on recovery again tonight, and I feel like I have some left in the tank. Tomorrow will be an off night, with an additional set with the 24 kg on Saturday.

March 10

1 hour walk

1HS 4 x 10 x 24 kg, 6 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 2 x 2 x 24 kg, 3 x 2 x 20 kg

I started this morning with an hour walk around my neighborhood, nice crisp 20F (-6.7C) air. I breathed through my nose during the entire walk, inspired by @The Nail and his ambulatory prowess.

My workout was good after the walk. I didn't stretch because I was warmed up from the walk. The additional sets with the 24 kg kettlebell felt good. Of course, the 20 kg kettlebell felt light after the 24 kg.

The session was sharp and crisp from start to finish again this morning. No challenge day tomorrow, I will instead work towards the Simple standard. Time for coffee & a protein shake.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
Winston Churchill

March 11

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

No walking this morning, I really wasn't feeling it. I almost didn't work out for the same reason. I decided WTH, lets get it in. Amazing session, honestly I don't know where this came from. I usually scoff when I read the statement, "I didn't feel like working out & then had an amazing workout", but no longer. From first halo to last get up took like 38 minutes, and I wasn't anywhere close to rushing. I thought I was really taking my time.

The odd part is that I found the float on my swings, and my get ups were powerful and rock solid. I truly felt like going for more with the 24 kg, but one of the voices in my head said no, leave that for later this week, so, I listened. I am glad that I did, because I feel great.

Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.
Mahatma Gandhi

March 11

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

No walking this morning, I really wasn't feeling it. I almost didn't work out for the same reason. I decided WTH, lets get it in. Amazing session, honestly I don't know where this came from. I usually scoff when I read the statement, "I didn't feel like working out & then had an amazing workout", but no longer. From first halo to last get up took like 38 minutes, and I wasn't anywhere close to rushing. I thought I was really taking my time.

The odd part is that I found the float on my swings, and my get ups were powerful and rock solid. I truly felt like going for more with the 24 kg, but one of the voices in my head said no, leave that for later this week, so, I listened. I am glad that I did, because I feel great.

Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.
Mahatma Gandhi
Well done in not rushing, I envy that trait.

March 12

20 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 1 x 10 x 16 kg, 2 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 6 x 10 x 24 kg, 4 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 24 kg, 2 x 2 x 20 kg

Well, so much for patience......Lack of attention to detail moved me up a set with the 24 kg kettlebell. By not logging my exercises as I went, I unintentionally did two consecutive sets of 1HS with my left arm. How? Easy, I was distracted by my dogs. Instead of checking my log, I went straight to work with my left instead of checking to see that I should have used my right. So, 1 set each side, then 2 straight with my left, meant that I did two straight with my right for balance.

All in all, I am not unhappy with this progress. However, tonight showed me that I need to be focused when I am working with the kettlebells.

March 13

20 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Good session tonight, sharp and solid from start to finish again this evening. The additional set with the 24 kg kettlebell feels good. With a few more sessions, it should feel even better.

I have moved to warming up with the 20 kg kettlebell only, which feels good but the warm-up is still a work in progress with this kettlebell. I know it is recommended that the goblet squats be done with my swing weight, which I may work up to by the time it get up to all 10 sets with the 24 kg kettlebell.

March 14

38 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches
Foam roll for back and shoulders
Leg raises over foam roller

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Good session tonight. I focused on my form and recovery again tonight. The warm ups felt better, but I took my time to make sure I had good form, I wasn't rushing, and that my breathing was on point for each set. I did the same for each set of swings. For my get ups I did focus on form, but I made sure to stare at the kettlebell for each set. I find that keeps me extremely focused, for some reason.

March 15

Day Off. Work ran late, and rugby has kicked off for the spring season. Since I didn't want to rush a session, I instead decided to take a day of rest. Sometimes is as important as training. So, I am taking two consecutive rest days this week.

Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.
Ovid

March 17

50 minute walk in the morning

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 8 x 10 x 24 kg, 2 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 4 x 2 x 24 kg, 1 x 2 x 20 kg

I went for a nice long walk this morning in the crisp air, breathing through my nose most of the way again this morning. One bonus is that I am completely warmed up, and some light stretching is all I need to get ready to go.

I added another set with the 24 kg kettlebell this morning. I took my time and made sure that I was recovered before the new set with the 24 kg. Over all, it was a good, strong session. I felt good afterwards, no deep fatigue, but there is a little from the new set. Some stretching and mobility work should clear that up through the day.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

March 18

30 minute walk, aka shopping with the wife......:D

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 8 x 10 x 24 kg, 2 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 4 x 2 x 24 kg, 1 x 2 x 20 kg

Another steady session, just like yesterday. I had to force myself to step into the "courage corner" today, but after having a solid session, I am glad I did. I will put in a stretching session tonight, just to make sure that I am giving my body every chance to recover. I haven't done nearly enough stretching this year, and I am feeling it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom