all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I seem to be able to swing the 35 lb kettlebell better than the 30. Why, I have no idea.

I got 5 with each arm, which I could not even clean a few weeks ago.

I noticed the same thing when I jumped from the 16KG to the 20KG. Not sure why either, but it sounds like good stuff to me.

Congrats on the 50# C&P. It's a nice feeling when you are able to do something you couldn't do before. Strong work, Mr. Scott.

November 29

No treadmill to warm up, forgot half of my workout clothes... So I just foam rolled my back & legs, along with some stretching.

Halos - 3 sets of 10 reps with the 25 lb KB
Goblet Squats - 5 x 30, 5 x 30, 5 x 30
Single Leg Deadlifts - 2 sets of 10 "naked", 5 on each leg.

One-handed swings - 10 x 40, 10 x 40, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35
TGUs - 2 x 20, 2 x 20, 2 x 20, 2 x 20, 2 x 20

I felt great after my abbreviated warm-up, so I started one handed swings with the 40, and my second set was not great, poor form. So, I went back to the 35, and felt my form come back to me. The TGUs were with a lighter weight, because after being out for over a week, I wanted to be sure that my form was on point. Overall, I was pleased with my workout, but I know that I need to stay lighter in the weight and focus on my form before moving back up. Thanks to all the experienced folks on here, who are regularly preaching form over weight. It does really make a difference.

After talking about the SLDL, I decided to incorporate them, because I do not like the hip bridges. Holy cow, hamstrings & glutes are not happy this morning. They haven't had that much work in a while. I must admit, I was very shaky, and unstable. However, I can see how they will benefit me in the long run. So, I will keep the 2 sets until I get stable. Once I get to 5 sets "naked", I will then incorporate light weights.

Thank you to @Karen Smith for her wise words, "I think that the SLDL can be added early on, as they can even have great benefit if done "naked". They will teach you a lot about your balance and any sticking points.". She was on point with those two sentences.

November 30

No treadmill to warm up again today. I felt good during my workout on Tuesday, so I decided to see how I would feel just warming up with the stretching, foam rolling, & the three warm up exercises.

Halos - 3 sets of 10 reps with the 30 lb KB
Goblet Squats - 5 x 30, 5 x 30, 5 x 30

One-handed swings - 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35
TGUs - 2 x 25, 2 x 25, 2 x 25, 2 x 20, 2 x 20

I added a set of one hand swings, because I was feeling great last night. This also led to 3 sets with the 25 lb kettlebell to start my TGUs, I started to waver in the 3rd set, so I dropped to the 20 lb kettlebell, to make sure my form stayed tight. All in all, a great workout, including the SLDLs, which were easier after I watched a video of @Karen Smith performing them. That, and doing them without shoes really made a difference. I do like how they really show me what I am doing wrong without weight. These are now a regular part of my warm up routine.

December 1

No treadmill to warm up again today. Warming up with the stretching, foam rolling, & the three warm up exercises seems to be more than enough, so I have eliminated the treadmill work for now.

Halos - 3 sets of 10 reps with the 35 lb KB
Goblet Squats - 5 x 35, 5 x 35, 5 x 35

One-handed swings - 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 45, 10 x 45, 10 x 35, 10 x 35
TGUs - 2 x 25, 2 x 25, 2 x 25, 2 x 25, 2 x 25

As you can see, I was really feeling it tonight. everything felt smooth & easy, even though I increased my weights. I realized that in one month, I will no longer have access to kettlebells in 5 lb increments, so I decided to work with the weight I would have at home. I had watched a video on the proper technique for the one hand swings earlier in the day, that showed proper form, including the off hand swinging in step with the weighted arm. Wow, were my swings explosive and crisp. That is why I went with the 45 for 2 sets, to see if it was just in my mind. Nope, the 45 moved just as well, just not as far.....;) :D

My get ups were even faster tonight. I wasn't rushing them, but I finished them faster than last night. I guess the WTH effect is showing itself again. Friday is a day off, as I am working out 5 days a week for now. The SLDLs are still a work in progress, but I am falling in love with them. They demand my focus, which preps me for my swing & get up work. They also remind me that I am still a work very much in progress. They are at the same time frustrating and rewarding to me. I feel so good when I perform a rep with minimal wobble, and get so frustrated when I don't, and have to grab the 50 lb kettlebell in front of me for balance. Yeah, it may be cheating, but it is also for my safety. I don't want to fall over in the gym, where people are doing walking lunges & pushing weighted sleds. They are not always aware of their surroundings.

Over the next two weeks I will be slowly working back to 10 sets of swings, and then I will work on going to 7 days a week. Once I get there, I may start incorporating morning two handed swings with the 32 kg kettlebell, to get the feel of that big bell. I am simply amazed that I can work out almost daily and not feel overly stiff or sore. I guess form & technique, along with working recovery does work.

December 3

Warm up is now with stretching, foam rolling, & the three warm up exercises.

One-handed swings - 10 x 45, 10 x 35, 10 x 45, 10 x 35, 10 x 45, 10 x 35

Again today the One Hand Swings felt better with the 45 lb kettlebell, but I am going to scale back to the 35 lb kettlebell, and work up to ten sets. Plus, the effect swinging the 45 has on my TGUs is not good. The fatigue is more noticeable when I swing the 45, so, time to back up, increase my sets and work the 35 lb kettlebell until I own it.....

December 4

Off day, as I spent all day getting the Christmas decorations down from the storage in our garage. Then it was time to re-arrange the living room so we could put the tree up. Decorating the tree, the house, and the outside made for one long day, but it was worth it.

December 3

Warm up: Lots of stretching and foam rolling.

One-handed swings - 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35

Great workout tonight. I was focused on each rep, making sure form felt right. The SLDLs are still very much a work in progress, but they are a great warm up, and a reminder that work is still to be done. I went back to just the 35 for 1H swings, and added a set. It is interesting when they feel crisp, when the form is right. The 35 felt very light in all 7 sets, even though I was working hard.

My TGUs were really sharp and again fast tonight. So, in my last set, I paused for about 5-8 seconds at each step, to focus on my arm placement, and my balance. Wow, it is amazing how 25 pounds can get your heart beating when you pause at each step.

I like following your progress. Great attitude and good practice!

December 7

One-handed swings - 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35

My SLDLs were better tonight. I really focused on taking my time and staying balanced. They are working to warm my legs up, but wow, do they still tax my legs. I don't know if I could do three sets at this time. I will continue working on them, and maybe in time three sets will be doable.

I added another set of 1H swings, because I am working towards 10 sets, then I begin to work to own this kettlebell. Then, on to the next one. TGUs were really sharp and fast again tonight. So, in my last set, like last night, I paused for about 5-8 seconds at each step, to focus on my arm placement, and my balance.

December 8

One-handed swings - 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35, 10 x 35
TGUs - 2 x 25, 2 x 25

I am building up one set at a time to ten sets of swings. Tonight was rough, swing wise. I took longer between sets to recover, and needed it. I wasn't 100%, and it showed. My TGUs were so sloppy and out of balance that I only did 2 sets. I was disappointed, but I just wasn't feeling it. So, I erred on the side of caution, and stopped. Tomorrow is a day of rest, apparently I need it.

Ironically, my SLDLs felt great last night, pretty well balanced in almost every rep.

I haven't updated my log, because a tweak of my knee, along with seasonal allergies, has kept me on the sidelines. My doctor says my knee will be good to go today for light exercise for the rest of the year. Sadly, this means no TGUs or SLDLs.

Would C&Ps be an acceptable substitute for TGUs to get work in for the rest of the year? Swings are ok, I did ask, I just have to stay lighter. So, I am planning on working on my form with a lighter kettlebell. I will be getting S&S for Christmas, so once I am cleared, I will begin that program in earnest.

Would C&Ps be an acceptable substitute for TGUs to get work in for the rest of the year?

It will be a good way to spend the time, sure. Maybe work on abs too: Harstyle plank and/or hardstyle sit-back, 5 reps of 15-sec. And maybe grip: hangs for time from pull-up bar, or long and light farmer's carries (like 4 reps of 90sec carry w/ 16kg in each hand). (I'd say heavy carries, but that might be iffy on the knee. ) All this will help when you get back to S&S... Also keep working on mobility - halos for the shoulders, and something for the hips that won't aggravate the knee.

Thank you for the response @Anna C for those suggestions. I just have to take it easy, & the TGUs have just enough torque/twist on my knee that I am not doing them for a while.

It will be a good way to spend the time, sure. Maybe work on abs too: Harstyle plank and/or hardstyle sit-back, 5 reps of 15-sec. And maybe grip: hangs for time from pull-up bar, or long and light farmer's carries (like 4 reps of 90sec carry w/ 16kg in each hand). (I'd say heavy carries, but that might be iffy on the knee. ) All this will help when you get back to S&S... Also keep working on mobility - halos for the shoulders, and something for the hips that won't aggravate the knee.

December 14

Halos - 3 x 12kg, 3 x 12kg, 3 x 12kg
Goblet Squats - 5 x 0, 5 x 16kg, 5 x 16kg, 5 x 16kg

Two-handed swings - 10 x 24kg, 10 x 24kg, 10 x 24kg, 10 x 24kg, 10 x 24kg
Clean & Press - 5 x 12kg, 5 x 12kg, 5 x 12kg, 5 x 12kg, 5 x 12kg

I wasn't going to include the goblet squats, but my knee felt great when I did the first set with no weight. The 12kg felt light, and the 16 kg felt really good. No real pain afterwards, so, unless there is pain in the morning, I will keep them included. Doing the 2H swings felt really, really good to be doing again. The C&P's were refreshing.

It felt great to workout again. Overall, I am a little fatigued, but not too badly. The knee feels good, there was a little twinge with the weighted squats, but it almost felt like I was greasing the groove, as it disappeared after the first set. So this program should be good to go until I am cleared to perform the TGUs again.

Last edited:
December 16

Goblet Squats - 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

Two-handed swings - 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg

my workout felt good, but I had felt a little stiffness in my knee yesterday. So I took the day off, then decided I would do every other day for a few days, just to make sure I am not overdoing it. Probably won't ramp things up until 12/21, just to make sure everything is ok.

Last edited:
December 18

Goblet Squats - 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

Two-handed swings - 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg, 10 x 20kg

Staying light, as I am trying to own these weights before moving forward. Slow & steady, no need to jump up until they are easy from start to finish. Knee is feeling better, so I will probably add another session or two, to see how it responds.

Last edited:
December 20

Halos - 3 x 12 kg, 3 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats - 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

Two-handed swings - 10 x 20 kg, 10 x 20 kg, 10 x 20 kg, 10 x 20 kg, 10 x 20 kg
Clean & Press - 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

I cut down on the squats & halos, to add the SLDLs. My knee felt great tonight doing the SLDLs. I will stay with these weights, until I own them. I feel slightly fatigued after this workout, but not too bad. I think I will try and workout again tomorrow night, with this abbreviated routine.

December 21

Day off, rest & stretching along with wrapping presents & helping to prepare for the weekend. I had planned on working out, but life got in the way, funny how that happens.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom