all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What's your plan like with the strength aerobics? I'm interested in doing some myself for a while.

I am starting with 10 minutes of work with the 20 kg kettlebell. I am going to work up to 30 minutes, then drop back down to 10 minutes, and start with the 24 kg kettlebell. My goal is to get up to using the 32 kg kettlebell for this program. This will be workout "A".

Workout "B" will be Soju & Tuba, working with both the 28 kg & 32 kg kettlebells, working through the program until I can go through with just the 32 kg.

My weeks will be simple, A, B, A, B, A, B, rest day.

When I hit my goals of working with the 32 kg for both programs, I should be much stronger, and much fitter.

What's your plan like with the strength aerobics? I'm interested in doing some myself for a while.

July 21

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 12 minutes with 20 kg, 42 sets in total.

Good session today. Sharper form meant less repetitions, but I feel better than I did when I did 40 repetitions in 10 minutes 5 days ago. This is an awesome workout, one that I'm sure will pay dividends in the near future.

July 22

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 8 x 1/1 x 32 kg

Good, strong session today. So far, so good. I haven't had any issues with the 32 kg kettlebell so far.

July 23

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 12 minutes with 20 kg, 44 sets in total.

2 extra sets in the same time. Not much, but it's a little improvement. Time to go for 14 minutes in my next session.

July 24

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 10 x 1/1 x 32 kg

Good session tonight, challenging but good to go still. I made sure I rested well between sets, and they were all strong. I am truly enjoying this program.

July 25

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 14 minutes with 20 kg, 50 sets in total.

I pushed it tonight, and hit 50 sets in 14 minutes. I got my heart rate up around 140, but damn it felt great. This feels like a really good supplemental workout to S&T, cardio & power. Time for some food & water.

July 26

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches
Foam Roll - lower back

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 12 x 1/1 x 32 kg

Good session again tonight. I had to break out the foam roller and loosen up my lower back before starting tonight. It was a combination of the swings from last night, and all the meetings where I sat all day. I know it was this combination because I am usually mobile throughout the day, to the point where I am loosening up my back & hamstrings almost hourly. Regardless, this was good workout.

July 28

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 16 minutes with 20 kg, 64 sets in total.

Challenge day, could I go 16 minutes performing one set every 15 seconds. Well, apparently I can. HR hit 144, which is high for my age, but I pushed through. I was breathing heavy, but I recovered amazingly well and quickly.

I am very pleased with my session today. Time to grill and eat steak. Have a strong weekend!

July 29

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches
Foam Roll - lower back

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 14 x 1/1 x 32 kg

Today was rough, after yesterday's session. But, I warmed up, and went for it. I took more time between sets, but I did all 14 strong. The foam rolling really loosened my back up today, I think I will keep doing the rolling for a while.

Stay Strong!

July 30

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches
Foam Roll - lower back

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 6 minutes with 20 kg, 24 sets in total.

My mind said 18 minutes, my body said 6 minutes. I had nothing left after the 6th minute, the 25th clean never made it. I tried twice, and there was nothing left. It was humbling, to say the least, but it made me realize that I need to focus on recovery as much as anything else.

So, maybe I need to attack this conditioning program a little differently. I think I will go back to the 10 minute time and work that time until I own it with the 32 kg kettlebell. Then, and only then, I will look to add more time to the conditioning session.

Hey @Michael Scott how exactly to run this strength aerobics?
I’ve read the article but to be honest didn’t read it slowly and really understand it....
You do a clean+press+squat set the bell down and immediately grab it with the other hand and go right away or wait for a time period and then grab the bell and go?

I was going every 15 seconds, for as long as I could. The directions in the article are: "Shake off the tension with “fast and loose” drills, and keep going. Select a pace you can sustain for a long time (a metronome might be helpful), and carry on. For ten, twenty, even thirty minutes." So, I interpret that as go when you are ready, for the entire time you choose. I went for every 15 seconds, with the notion of 5 seconds of work & 10 seconds of rest for each repetition. My failure last night, I believe, was a combination of overwork and a lack of conditioning on my part. Hence my dropping back down to the 10 minute interval, and starting over.

So, clean-press-squat, set the kettlebell down, shake it out, and go with the other side, when you are ready for the next repetition, is how I read the programming for this routine.

Hey @Michael Scott how exactly to run this strength aerobics?
I’ve read the article but to be honest didn’t read it slowly and really understand it....
You do a clean+press+squat set the bell down and immediately grab it with the other hand and go right away or wait for a time period and then grab the bell and go?

Last edited:
July 31

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches
Foam Roll - lower back

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 3 x 2/2 x 32 kg

So far, so good. I can still do all the sets with the 32 kg kettlebell. I do believe that the time to drop down to the 28 kg kettlebell is fast approaching. The second repetition was a little harder tonight. However, that could have been because I didn't eat lunch too. Still, it was a strong session. I was pleased with my effort and form.

Tomorrow night I look to master the 20 kg kettlebell in the 10 minute Strength Aerobics Circuit. I am thinking I will do 4 reps a minute for the time, aiming to work my way up to 10 reps a minute, which would be almost continuous cleaning, pressing & squating. I haven't decided if I will go that far, or just work up to 6 reps a minute.

August 1

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches
Foam Roll - lower back

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Strength Aerobics Circuit for Conditioning - 10 minutes with 20 kg, 50 sets in total.

Woo, that was a challenge to get 50 in 10 minutes. But, it felt great to accomplish that goal. I think I will alternate between 40 and 50 sets for a while. Stay Strong!

Here we see Senior SFG Instructor @Pavel Macek setting up to swing the largest kettlebell his gym has on site....

25f2feb62217eda69c736a11c7106d97.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom