all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
November 4

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Well, I sincerely hope that testing our system of records is over, because I have had no time for anything but some stretching. With the holiday season officially upon us now, I am going to need to be working out. I am also eliminating the mindset of chasing different workouts. I will incorporate pressing once a week, and perform S&S the rest of the week. Looking back over this year so far, I have not been diligent or consistent enough, and I have not come close to hitting my goal of hitting the Simple standard by the end of the year. Time to settle down, and hit one milestone before worrying about doing anything else. Form, breathing, and recovery, need to be my focus.

November 5

No workout today. Came home from work, on time, and the wife tells me that we need to finish raking leaves for pick up tomorrow morning. A solid hour of raking wet leaves, and no DOMS or stiffness later in the evening. Back to kettlebells tomorrow night.
That was one of my least favourite things about living there...

November 6

Another long day of testing, fortunately this was the last session. Of course, I had a Veteran's Networking Meeting, that I was invited to, that not attending would have been an insult to the inviting person, 45 minutes after I finished testing. So, I left home at 6:45 am to go vote, and promptly came home at 9:00 pm. Met some amazing veterans, and some amazing people focused on assisting veterans. While I did not work out, it was a productive evening.

November 7

Rough day of meetings, including a last minute one that took 2 hours that I got roped into at 4 pm. Of course, follow on discussions had to be held afterwards. I wish I was making these last two weeks up, but sadly I am not. I did do some light stretching of my hips and hamstrings throughout the day, when I had the chance. Sitting all day is hard on the body.

Speaking of hamstrings, I came across this in my Facebook feed, & laughed, because this was posted like it is a revelation. Ironically, everyone that will read this post already knew this to be true.

The Best Moves for Stronger Hamstrings

Prone leg curls are the gold standard of hamstring strengtheners, but two machine-free moves work just as well: the kettlebell swing and single-leg deadlift. Add one (or both) to your routine to stop playing favorites with your thighs.

November 8

Last day of testing, finally. Well, today was documentation day, so we spent hours going over the test scripts, making sure everything passed. Then, of course, the additional hours of printing everything, then signing everything. Fortunately, this is now over. Coming home and having to decide to eat dinner instead of grabbing my kettlebell should now, finally be over with. On the plus side, my hamstrings and lower back haven't felt this good in years.

November 11

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Hello kettlebells! That felt really good, again. The stretching was good, as always, as was everything else. Now, let us see if life wants to mess with me again this week.

November 12

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 32 kg

S&T 4 x 1/1 x 28 kg
Racked Squat 4 x 2/2 x 28 kg
Bent Over Row 4 x 5/5 x 28 kg

Great session tonight. I know I said I was solely focusing on S&S until I hit the Simple standard, but Monday Nights are occupied, so a shorter session, for now, will be this routine. The pressing is just invigorating. So, clean, press, squat, and row for one set on each side, following the S&T template. It was challenging, but I felt great at the end of the session. The heavy Goblet Squats really got my legs warmed up. I was very happy with this session.

November 14

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

S&T 6 x 1/1 x 28 kg
Racked Squat 6 x 2/2 x 28 kg
Bent Over Row 6 x 5/5 x 28 kg

Good session again this evening, and it was a good challenging session. Again, the heavy Goblet Squats set up the session. However, the last set was a little bit of a challenge to clean the kettlebell with my left arm. So, I may drop down to the 24 kg, as the whole routine may be taking a little more out of me than I thought it would.

November 15

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Good session tonight. Everything felt good tonight. The 20 kg kettlebell felt light today, which felt good. That tells me the work I am doing opposite S&S is working.

November 17

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Good session today, found the float on most swings, and my get ups were solid.

November 18

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Back to back good sessions this weekend, they felt good from start to finish. The float has reappeared, and the get ups are feeling more solid & stable. Both of which are great to feel.

November 19

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

S&T 8 x 1/1 x 24 kg
Racked Squat 8 x 3/3 x 24 kg
Bent Over Row 8 x 5/5 x 24 kg

Hello challenging session. Tonight was more of a cardio session than a S&S, by a long shot. But, it was well worth doing. I do know that I will drop down to the 20 kg for the 12 & 14 set sessions in the coming days. I know I am doing this routine harder than originally designed, yeah I caught that last night.....:oops:o_O Having said that, the extra work with a lighter kettlebell is still a challenge, and pushing yourself, even a little, makes you better. So, I will follow my version of S&T with a lighter kettlebell between S&S sessions.

Long week of travel recently, left me with two kettlebell sessions and loads of simple mobility work. It really sucks when you rush around and forget to grab one out the door.

Nov 20:
Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Nov 21-25 - light mobility work, left the kettlebell 260 miles away at home.:(:mad::oops:o_O

November 26:
Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Simple work, steady breathing and recovery. Now the work needs to begin in earnest. More challenge, without gassing myself, but pushing myself at the same time. S&T will still be a part of my routine, as I close out the year.

November 26

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

S&T 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Racked Squat 5 x 3/3 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 5 x 5/5 x 20 kg

I won't lie, this session was rough. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I had next to zero energy when I started the first set. I went 5 sets and had to stop. My form was good from start to finish, but damn if I didn't have it in me to go past 5 sets tonight.

November 27

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretch

Hollow Hold 3 x 3 x 20 seconds
Superman 3 x 3 x 20 seconds
Plank 3 x 3 x 20 seconds
Leg Raises 3 x 3 x 10
Pushups 3 x 3 x 10
Goblet Squats 3 x 3 x 5
Single Leg DL 3 x 5/5

Bodyweight work tonight was the plan. I just felt like I needed a change, and this routine was still in my app. Good session, challenging yet recovery was relatively quick.

November 28

Day off today, as it is my son's 25th birthday. Grilled some steaks, roasted some potatoes, and pan fried some mushrooms, garlic, & onions in some butter, deglazed the pan with some beef stock, and we ate like kings. Some decent red wine, and the night was complete. Not a workout, but an extremely satisfying evening nonetheless.

November 29

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 20 kg

Good session tonight, everything just felt right tonight. Swings were crisp, get ups were solid, everything just felt good. It is sessions like these that make working with kettlebells feel right.

December 1

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
Hamstring Stretches
90/90 Stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Clean & Press 12 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 12 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Great session this morning. I truly enjoy this program. I know that the bent over rows are not a part of the program, but they are so enjoyable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom