all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
January 29

Warm up: 20 minute walk outside, in 24 degree (F) to warm up the body, followed by some light stretching
Halos - 10 x 12 kg, 10 x 12 kg, 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats - 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

Two-handed swings - 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg
TGU - 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 12 kg, 10 x 12 kg

Great workout today, I felt really strong after taking yesterday off from the kettlebells & IF. I have added an 8th set to the THS, and a 3rd set of 16 kg get ups. I actually felt like I could go another set in the swings & the TGUs, but I held off, as this was the first workout with the additional weight & set.

I worked out today in a fasted state, and felt strong from the first set of halos through the last get up. I have always had to work out on an empty stomach, so this working out after not having eaten since 6:30 pm last night really works for me.

January 30

Day off, held our first indoor practice for the local rugby team last night, I am one of the assistant coaches. I am an "old guy", retired member of the club. I will be coaching the pack primarily, working on technique, plays, and setting expectations of the pack.

Two & a half hours of pretty steady movement, working with a couple of new guys, teaching them the basics, left me a little stiff and sore. Not bad, but I needed stretching more than anything else. So I stretched, and took a nice hot shower. More stretching throughout the day, and I'm back at it tomorrow.

January 31

I took the day off due to fatigue. Long day of work, and lousy sleep led to my needing to take a second day off in a row, much to my dismay. However, some light stretching was done, as needed.

February 1

Warm up: Light stretching and foam rolling,

Two-handed swings - 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg, 10 x 24 kg

Great workout today, I felt really strong today. Like before, I actually felt like I could go another set in the swings & the TGUs, but I held off. Interestingly, the 16 kg get ups felt better than the 12 kg ones, I guess this is yet another WTH moment for me in my training.

February 4

Two-handed swings - 8 sets of 10 x 24 kg

I took two days off due to family commitments, unfortunately. However, family time is why I am doing this, so I have more family time down the road, so it is a fair trade off to me.

The workout felt great, I felt strong throughout the session. I will add another set of swings tomorrow, and another set of get ups with the 16 kg kettelbell. I know the work hasn't been there this week, but I have felt stronger in each workout than I did last week. WTH happening again for me, feeling strong when working less. I know that I need to put the work in, and next week will see more work on the schedule. Two weeks should see me starting the 1 hand swings, with more than likely the 16 kg bell. I will also switch that week to using the 16 for my halos & goblet squats. I can see the road to the Simple standard starting in my near future.

February 5

Two-handed swings - 9 sets of 10 x 24 kg
TGU - 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 12 kg

The new week has begun. An extra set of swings has been incorporated, as well as a fourth set of get ups with the 16 kg kettelbell. I feel great after my workout today. I made sure to recover between sets of swings & get ups, to maximize my workout. Amazingly, I feel like I could have done more. I now know what people mean when they said that you should feel this way after your session.

February 6

Early morning session today. With dart league tonight, I had to get my workout in this morning. 5 am comes early, especially on Monday. Good workout, not great, I was a little shaky in my get ups. I did find a weakness in my swings, that once corrected, made my swings more explosive. I didn't realize how far my arms were straying from my chest, until half way through my second set. Once I made a conscious effort to keep my upper arms basically rooted to my chest, I found the float, and my swings felt easier, and more explosive. I could even sit back farther by keeping my arms in tight to my chest. What a feeling to have my swings feel almost effortless, and finding the float all in one set.

February 7

Three straight days of S&S, and tonight was a tough when doing get ups. My swings were explosive again tonight, once again by keeping my arms closer to my torso. I made an interesting discovery this evening during my get ups. By slowing down just a little, almost pausing at each stage, they were crisper than I expected them to be tonight, easier too. I also realized, during this revelation, that I was too spread out when transitioning from my roll up to kneeling. By putting my heel closer to my hips, my get ups were stronger. So, two learning moments in one session. I would call tonight a roaring success.

February 8

Fourth day in a row, and with a good stretch and warm up, the session was crisp and fast. From initial stretch to racking the 12 kg kettlebell after my last get up took less than an hour. Amazing to me that two minor changes in my form sped up my reps, and my sets.

February 9

Warm up: Stretching and foam rolling,

My quest for Simple sees 5 consecutive days with sessions. I feel great after my workout, and I am considering taking tomorrow off as a day of rest. I don't want to burn out, but I also don't want to miss a session....decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I started today with a good stretch session, followed by focused foam rolling, making sure I was prepared for my workout today. Again this evening, the session was crisp and fast. Two days in a row I feel great afterwards, is what is making me doubt that I need to take tomorrow off.

I have also switched up on my diet, going from Intermittent Fasting to more of a Warrior Diet, where I am under-eating through the day, and only really eating one meal in the evening after working out. I am having EAS protein drinks for breakfast & lunch, with a piece of fruit at each meal. I also started walking over my lunch period, instead of sitting down and reading while eating. So far, so good, I have energy throughout the day, and while I am hungry, it isn't bad. Coffee, water, and occasionally a hot tea in the afternoon.

Well, I decided that I needed a recovery day, so I slept in and will just walk today, and stretch tonight instead of a kettlebell session. I may do some weightless get ups just because.

February 11

Warm up: Stretching and foam rolling

Back after Simple today. Great session, crisp swings, trained for recovery today. Get ups are feeling stronger when I slowly roll to my elbow. I feel better now than I did before I started. Of course, being a little hungover from scotch last might have something to do with that....:eek:

Tomorrow will see a tenth set of swings added, as well as using the 16 kg kettlebell in my last set of get ups. I am truly amazed that I feel so good afterwards, and how refreshed I feel after every session so far.

February 12

Warm up: Stretching and foam rolling

Two-handed swings - 10 sets of 10 x 24 kg
TGU - 5 sets of 2 x 16 kg

I just realized that I have been logging my get ups wrongly. I have only been doing a 5 sets of 2 (1R & 1L) in each session. Wow, I am not sure how I missed that until today.....:oops:

Today was my first session with 10 sets of swings, and the first in a while where I used the same kettlebell for all 5 sets of get ups. I am not going to lie, I was a little tired at the end of my workout. Tomorrow's workout should be interesting. I can say, that rolling slower up to my elbow has tightened my get ups nicely. Keeping my arms in tighter to my chest has cleaned up my swings as well. Now, all I have to do is get used to the additional set and my progress should continue. I may, however, look at two weeks of this routine before I start adding the Bulldog to my swings.

I did some stretching after my session, and I will stretch again tonight at rugby practice. Fortunately, as I am the coach of the team now, I will be able to work on my functional movement, stretching, and overall recovery.

I have been following the Warrior Diet lately, to greater success than Intermittent Fasting. I have lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I have had a protein shake and a piece of fruit for both breakfast & lunch, and a sensible meal at dinner. While I will not continue on such a drastic caloric deficit going forward, I will be monitoring my food intake. More proteins, more vegetables, some fruit, with low carbs and lower fat intake.

Today will end up being a day of stretching and functional movement to supplant my Simple program. I have decided to slow down, and enjoy the progress rather than push things. I will have 4 sessions this week, with stretching and body-weight get ups on my off days. I realized, after reading my posts from the last few days, that I am getting back to the mindset of needing to be gassed instead of training to recover, instead I am chasing the weight again. So, I will stretch today, walk, and stretch again. My goal of hitting the Simple standard by my birthday in July is still within my reach, I just need to build a strong foundation, rather than go out on a weak limb.

Last edited:
February 13

Warm up: Stretching

Well, I got home, and went down to my workout area to stretch & do mobility drills, and the kettlebells called me over. I was weak, and got in a full session. I am so glad I did, I feel fan-freaking-tastic. Every rep in every set felt great. I know I had planned on an off day, but my body is telling me I made the right decision. To be honest, I feel better now than I did this morning.

I know what you mean. I'm training for a powerlifting meet and have done a hundred times more swings than deads in the last few days.

February 14

Warm up: Stretching
Halos - 3 sets 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats - 3 sets 5 x 12 kg

I trained tonight for recovery. Last night was more for explosion and power. My session last night took around 35-40 minutes, I really went after it. Tonight was more about recovering between sets. Tonight took an hour to complete. Both sessions felt great, I may have to start alternating speeds.

February 15

Took today off. After three strong sessions, I didn't want to overdo things. While I am looking forward to starting with the bulldog, I also know, from reading many posts on here, that a day off is as beneficial as working out. So, rather than push things, I decided that a day off is a reward well earned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom