all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, that is a funny question. I wore my FitBit on Saturday, and it did track my pace and HR, but not my exercise as a whole, that took the app on my phone. The same one that I didn't start on Sunday, and stopped tracking my "walk" yesterday....so I have to track my ride as a run, and put my FitBit in my pocket to track my movement, losing the ability to track my HR.

Are you riding with an HRM?

July 2

35 minute bike ride today, got it in quickly before the rain started.

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Punch the clock session tonight. Focused on form and technique in every set, being mindful to have recovered before starting my next set. Good all around session again tonight.

Do you ride with an HRM? If so, do you have a preferred brand? Do you recommend riding with an HRM?
I do ride with an HRM. I use an ELEMNT Tickr that is paired with my onboard computer.

You can certainly train 'by feel' especially if you are a seasoned endurance athlete. Many great cyclists and runners over the years didn't have the luxury of the technology we enjoy today. So, it is not an absolute necessity to do so, but if you do want to maximize training and recovery efforts I would recommend it.

Many cyclists fall into the following:
  • 'Easy' days are way too hard
  • 'Hard' days are too easy. (Or too hard!)
An HRM won't necessarily eliminate that, but it sure can help...

July 3

5 miles on the bike, about 40 minutes or so.

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

This session was a struggle. I am going to have to do something different. I am going to switch to riding every other day starting next week. I will alternate riding with walking, and and probably alternate S&S with either Soju & Tuba or days off. Most importantly, I need to do my kettlebell work first.

July 4

Happy Independence Day to the folks in the US!

1 hour on the bike, over 7 miles covered. I rode in in a forest preserve near me, what a difference from riding around the neighborhood. Day full of chores afterwards, and there was no time or energy left for any kettlebell work.

Last edited:
July 5

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

50 minute walk after kettlebell work, 2 miles covered in an easy pace. The kettlebell work was, again, solid and strong. Putting the work in first was a real good idea. The walk was tougher, but that should change in time. Riding afterwards will be tested tomorrow. If I can put in 3-5 miles after kettlebell work, then I may not alternate sessions. If I cannot, then I have a plan in place.

July 6

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

Clean & Press 8 x 1/1 x 32 kg

Limited time to get my work in, and ride, so I turned to S&T for my kettlebell work. I was pleasantly surprised that I could press the 32 kg for all 8 sets. When I first started S&T, I couldn't imagine pressing the 32 more than one time. It doesn't seem unreal anymore. Now, I need to get back to working with the 24 kg in S&S, so I can work my up to the 32 kg in S&S.

July 7

Morning
45 minute bike ride today, went for 7 miles in a local forest preserve that has a 3.5 & a 5 mile loop to walk and run. I went for two laps on the 3.5 mile loop, and it really felt good.

Afternoon
Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24 kg, 8 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 2 x 1/1 x 24 kg, 3 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Great session this afternoon. I decided to see how the 24 kg felt today. I felt it in my swings in the first set, so I only did that one set with each arm. I didn't feel the 24 kg in my get ups until the second set. Splitting my riding and kettlebell work more really worked. I might have to start working out in the morning and riding after work.

Michael... if you are going to be riding those Lake County forest preserve trails, bear in mind they are crushed limestone. It's like running your drive train through a sand blaster. You will need to spend extra diligence in keeping your chain, derailleurs, and sprockets cleaned and lubed.

I was not aware of that. Thank you for the heads up, I will definitely look into the correct method for maintenance on chain, derailleurs, and sprockets.

Michael... if you are going to be riding those Lake County forest preserve trails, bear in mind they are crushed limestone. It's like running your drive train through a sand blaster. You will need to spend extra diligence in keeping your chain, derailleurs, and sprockets cleaned and lubed.

Just as a point of reference...

I used to bike commute on those trails daily. About an hour each way.

I was cleaning and lubing at least twice a week...

(Granted I tend to be very particular about bike maintenance, and I ride reasonably expensive bikes...)

Yeah, I looked up the bike you had in one of your pictures......that was an expensive bicycle. I am riding a used Trek bike, bought it for $70. I will be maintaining it though, regardless of what I paid. I will do so because my daughter's boyfriend runs a bike shop down in Oklahoma, and would be very unhappy if I let the bike fall into disrepair, or fail to maintain it.

Just as a point of reference...

I used to bike commute on those trails daily. About an hour each way.

I was cleaning and lubing at least twice a week...

(Granted I tend to be very particular about bike maintenance, and I ride reasonably expensive bikes...)

July 8

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 24 kg, 8 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 2 x 1/1 x 24 kg, 3 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Tonight was something of a grind. It was a struggle tonight, swings were very difficult with the 24 kg kettlebell, and I lost my form on the get ups. I have to admit that the 24 kg kettlebell is too much to be working with right now, with the cycling and walking added into my exercise program. It sucks, but the last couple of days have been real grinding sessions. I did notice that my form seemed much better with the 20 kg kettlebell. So, I have to listen to my body, and drop back down to just working with the 20 kg for S&S.

I have to admit that the 24 kg kettlebell is too much to be working with right now, with the cycling and walking added into my exercise program.

This is always the "trap" of feeling good - the urge to keep adding stuff until you stop feeling good. Have certainly done that to myself.

My experience has also been than long endurance work and heavy strength or explosive work don't blend well in the same session - something will suffer. If you have the time to split those into two sessions, I'd recommend that a lot - has worked pretty well for me.

This is always the "trap" of feeling good - the urge to keep adding stuff until you stop feeling good. Have certainly done that to myself.

My experience has also been than long endurance work and heavy strength or explosive work don't blend well in the same session - something will suffer. If you have the time to split those into two sessions, I'd recommend that a lot - has worked pretty well for me.
I have to agree with Dr. Banner on this one. Keep these activities as separate as possible. The only exception is for an occasional 'test session'. But do these very infrequently...

July 9

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba 10 x 1/1 x 28 kg

Rode for 4 miles.

Felt like pressing the kettlebell tonight, plus I wanted to ride, so S&T was my choice. Got my ride in after lifting, and all felt good. Unfortunately, I won't be riding for the next couple of days, and I will have to get up early if I am to get some kettlebell work done.

July 10

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Back to the 20 kg for S&S work. No bike ride tonight, had a board meeting for the rugby club.

July 12

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Punch the clock session tonight. Everything felt good, and my form was solid from start to finish. I will be back on the bike this weekend.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom