all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
February 16

The workout consisted of light stretching only. My blood sugar levels were very low in the morning, almost scarily low for me. So, I ate breakfast for the first time in a while, incorporating carbs to offset the low blood sugar reading. I ended up not having the best of days. So, rather than have a sub-par session, stretching and some foam rolling were all that I was confident in performing. All is better today (Feb 17) so I will be grabbing the kettlebells for a reunion this evening.

February 17

Warm up: Stretching
Halos - 2 sets 10 x 12 kg, 1 set 10x16kg
Goblet Squats - 2 sets 5 x 12 kg, 1 set 10x16 kg

Two-handed swings - 10 sets of 10 x 24 kg
TGU - 5 sets of 2 x 16 kg

Tonight was all about speed. Minimal recovery, maximum explosion in my swings, and focused rhythm in my get ups. 33 minutes later, I am done, a little gassed, but damn if I don't feel fantastic. After two days off, I needed this session. I added a warm up set with the 16 kg to start my progression higher. While I am tired after my session, I am glad I went after it. I won't hit the simple standard without challenging myself.

February 18

Warm up: Stretching
Halos - 2 sets 10 x 12 kg, 1 set 10x16kg
Goblet Squats - 2 sets 5 x 12 kg, 1 set 10x16 kg

Today was about training to recover. More rest between sets, and a longer overall session. I discovered something reading the "Simple & Sinister" book last night, that hit home today. Sitting back to begin my swings, until my shins were perpendicular to the floor made my set up better. Also, swimming the kettlebell backwards while sitting back on the down swing was an amazing revelation. My swings were even better, more explosive when I did these two things.

I guess I will be re-reading this book every so often. I don't know how I missed this the first time. Maybe, because it held no meaning for me at that time.

February 19

Spent the day working around the house, then held rugby practice at 4. We were short a prop, so this old man stepped in. I was reminded why I retired, and why I despise turf for rugby. Needless to say, I did not workout last night. I was sore all over. Shoulders, upper & lower back, hips & knees. I did stretch and do some light mobility work when I got home, but no swings or get ups were performed. On the plus side, my cardio was strong throughout the forwards work that I filled in for last night. Walking is the exercise of the day today. Shooting for 10,000 steps, stretching, and recovery from yesterday is the plan.

February 21

Warm up: Stretching and foam rolling
Halos - 10 x 16 kg, 10 x 12 kg, 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats - 5 x 16 kg, 5 x 12 kg, 5 x 12 kg

Two-handed swings - 1 set of 10 x 24 kg, 1 set of 10 x 32 kg, 8 sets of 10 x 24 kg

I took the leap a week early, and introduced the bulldog into my swings. That set felt amazing, and the following set of swings felt very light. This will be my workout for the rest of the week. Next week I will add a second set of bulldog swings. I will also add a set of get ups with the 24 kg kettlebell. I may try one set with the 24 kg this week. That is still up for consideration.

My friend, the bulldog is a 40kg kettlebell.

Nice job introducing the 32kg! It's great how the current swings feel light afterwards isn't it?!

Interesting, that you state that the bulldog is the 40 kg kettlebell, because I found online that it was the 32 kg kettlebell. No big deal, that is just why I was calling it the bulldog. Regardless, the set afterwards was amazingly easy. The remaining 8, not so much...... ;)

My friend, the bulldog is a 40kg kettlebell.

Nice job introducing the 32kg! It's great how the current swings feel light afterwards isn't it?!

February 22

Two-handed swings - 1 set of 10 x 24 kg, 1 set of 10 x 32 kg, 8 sets of 10 x 24 kg
TGU - 1 set of 2 x 16 kg, 1 set of 2 x 20 kg, 3 sets of 2 x 16 kg

Tonight was a recovery training session. Because the adding of the 32 kg in my swings yesterday, I added a set of get ups with the 20 kg kettlebell. That set felt strong, but was a challenge, just like the swings were with the 32 kg kettlebell. However, I feel great after my workout.

February 23

TGU - 1 set of 2 x 16 kg, 1 set of 2 x 20 kg, 3 sets of 2 x 16 kg

Tonight was a recovery training session as well. I do enjoy the recovery training sessions. At this point, with the new kettlebells, I believe that recovery sessions will be the best.

February 24 & 25 saw days off taken. I woke up sore on Friday, specifically in my lats, hips, thighs, and knees. I believe, unfortunately, that I have moved to fast in my progression. Therefore, I will move back to 12 kg for halos & squats, the 32 kg for swings, and the 16 kg for get ups. I stretched on 2/25, but there is still stiffness this morning. I will get in a session this afternoon, but at the lower weights, and with the session geared towards recovery.

February 26

Warm up: Stretching & Foam rolling
Halos - 3 sets 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats - 3 sets 5 x 12 kg

Today was all about recovery, form, and creating a stronger foundation before increasing the weight again. I believe, even more so after today, that I moved up in weight too soon, and my body eventually spoke up. So, I will stay with this routine for a couple of weeks, and not move up until I am certain that I have mastered these kettlebells.

February 27

Second session where I am working on building my foundation before moving forward. Great workout, found the float again tonight. I found it last night when I also discovered the concept of crushing a walnut with your glutes. I am feeling this in my hips today, like I did yesterday, but finding the float in my swings is a good thing. My abs have been firing more over the last couple of days as well. I have slowed down my get ups, using my abs & glutes during the roll to my elbow. These two discoveries, along with the slower roll to my elbow have really fired my abs & glutes, making both exercises tighter & crisper.

Rough day, personally & physically. I was a little stiff & sore this morning. I stretched, and walked for my daily exercise. 4 sessions will be the plan for the week, adding a session in each of the following weeks. In three weeks, I should be back to 6 sessions a week. Once I feel up to it again, I will then attempt to move up in weight. So, a month should go by before I attempt to go back up in weight. Foundation should be built, stronger than before, if all goes to plan.

March 1

TGU - 2 sets of 2 x 16 kg, 3 sets of 2 x 20 kg.

Great swings this evening. Get ups look different because I have an ingrown nail. I was ok with the pain Monday & Tuesday, but the pain was worse today. So, after one set of get ups, where the pain from my nail about made me fall over, I decided to just roll up to my hand on each side instead. So, I grabbed the 20 kg kettlebell, and held each stage for 10 seconds. Holy crap that was tough. However, I learned that I wasn't completely packing my shoulder, nor was I keeping my shoulders down when I went from my elbow to my hand. So, another learning session, I love these things.

Until I can get in and get the nail dug out, I will just roll up to my elbow, and raise up onto my hand. I will also work with the heavier kettlebell. That felt great, but I will listen to my body, and go back to the 16 kg if needed.

Thursday evening was a day off. 4 sessions was the plan for this week, as I build my foundation better. I have three sessions under my belt, so I took the night off & went to dinner with my wife. I will get my fourth session in Friday night, before cooking dinner.

March 5

TGU - 3 sets of 2 x 16 kg, 2 sets of 2 x 20 kg

No workout on Friday, my sinuses were going haywire all day. Saturday was filled with enough events, that there was no time for a workout, unfortunately. So, today was the day to get back on the horse. Form was my focus, as I wanted to be sure I felt like I was performing my exercises correctly. After a great warm-up, I began my swings.

Checking my foot placement, width of my stance, being attentive to sitting back instead of squatting, and proper form at the top of my swing. While I am not an expert, I did fine some holes in my swing. Too narrow a stance, and I didn't seem to explode up. Too wide and the swing didn't feel right. Once I found my ideal stance in terms of width, I focused on my form in general. I was happy with my overall form, and the float was happening during each set.

Get ups were still just rolling up to my hand on each side. Two sets with the 20 kg kettlebell, and 3 with the 16 kg kettlebell, holding each stage for 5 seconds, focusing on how I held the kettlebell, packing my shoulder, and holding the kettlebell upright in each stage.

Overall, I had a good workout today, looking forward to my next session.

March 6

I changed my routine up a little tonight, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Once I warmed up, I did my swings with one minute between sets, rather than waiting until my HR came back down completely, and my breathing was under control. Ironically, after my 5th set, I felt like I was recovering better than I normally would when training for recovery instead of time. All 10 sets felt strong & solid. For my partial get ups, I dropped down to the 16 kg kettlebell for all 5 sets, concentrating on form again, and breathing consistently at each stage. All in all, I felt like I had a great session.

March 7

Same routine tonight, swings with one minute between sets. They felt great again, and the shorter rest time makes my workout shorter, which means I can make dinner..... Get ups are still just rolling up to my hand, as I don't get my ingrown toe nail dug out until next week. I am, however, focusing on each step more, and shoring up leaking parts. I even tried the technique that @Anna C spelled out to another poster, where you pull your shoulders down & back, like you are trying to make an "X". Wow, was that hard, and fatigue is running all over between my shoulder blades. I still held each position for 5 seconds, and 10 seconds when I was up on my hand.

March 8

Same routine tonight, swings with one minute between sets. Swings were crisp & sharp. Pulling my shoulder blades down & back really gassed me tonight. My shoulders were tired after tonight's workout. Fatigue is not as rampant between my shoulder blades tonight, but it is still present.

March 9

Same routine tonight, swings with one minute between sets. Again, they felt sharp & crisp. I discovered in my get ups that I was leaning to far over my extended leg when holding on my elbow & hand. Another leak fixed. Tomorrow will be a day off, gotta make time for family time. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday workouts will be the last three sets of get ups, hopefully, where I am only rolling up to my hand.

My decision to move back in weight, and build a stronger foundation before moving up to the next kettlebell seems to have been a good decision, as I am feeling stronger now than I did two weeks ago. I am even recovering better. So, slow & steady is the plan, maybe another week or two before I grab the 32 kg kettlebell for swings and the 20 kg kettlebell for get ups. The 20 kg kettlebell will depend on how fast I recover after getting my ingrown toenail dug out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom