all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
April 2
AM:
Neck mobility: Yes, No, Tilts & Circles
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs
Lower Body Mobility: Side Bends, Pelvic Tilts, Belly Dance, Hula Hoop Hip Circles, Ankle Circles, Bowing and Squats

Afternoon:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 10 x 20 kg, 16 kg, 16 kg
Goblet Squats 5 x 20 kg, 16 kg, 16 kg

Soju & Tuba 4/4 x 16
Bent Over Row 4/4 x 20
Single Leg DL 4/4 x 12

Simple session tonight. While I wasn't 100% yet, I needed to get some work in tonight. This never ceases to challenge me, and it is always a great feeling when I am finished.

April 3

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs
Lower Body Mobility: Side Bends, Pelvic Tilts, Belly Dance, Hula Hoop Hip Circles, Ankle Circles, Bowing and Squats

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 16, 16
Goblet Squats 20, 16, 16

1HS 10/10 x 20, 20, 16, 16, 16
TGU 1/1 x 20, 20, 16, 16, 16
Floor Press 1/1 x 32, 32, 32, 32, 32

Wow, great session tonight. I was more than pleasantly surprised to discover that I could press the 32kg 5 times with each arm. That felt great to accomplish.

April 4

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

Got my morning mobility work in, and spent the rest of the day doing things around the house, when I realized that it was 7:00, and the day was simply gone.

I saw an article about a double kettlebell pressing program that really intrigued me. I may have to try that program out....time to do some reading.

April 5

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 10 x 2/2 x 20 kg

My new program was discussed in this article: Brutally Strong. So, I am test driving the program as outlined in the article by SFG Geoff Neupert. I am starting out with the "Good Recovery" cycle. With the format discussed as rest between sets until recovered, I think I can do this for four weeks. I may do 1HS with the 16 kg on my off days, time will tell.

Last edited:
April 6

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

I decided I would stick to the program the way it was written, at least in the beginning. I definitely know that I worked out harder yesterday than I have in a while. Sp, common sense, to me anyway, says to follow the program, until you feel like it is not a challenge. At that point, I may need more kettlebells.....lol

Stay safe!

April 7

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 8 x 3/3 x 20 kg

Day two of this program, and it really feels good so far. Granted, it is way different than S&S, but, still, this just feels good to me. I have noticed that I am sleeping better already. Although, I feel kinda guilty not working out daily, maybe I need to get walking more.

Stay safe!

April 8

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Keeping my off day light, just some easy mobility work. I am definitely starting walking more on my off days. Might have to dig out my bike and start riding around the neighborhood too.

Stay safe!

April 9

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 6 x 4/4 x 20 kg

Whew, that was a challenge. I mean, I felt great once I was done, but I can see now why this is a three day a week program. I will definitely need some rest after this. I realized, much to my chagrin, that I have been simply going through the motions with my mobility work lately. It is embarrassing to admit, but it is true. I sat and stretched yesterday before I began, and realized that I have made little progress in getting more limber. So, time to bust out the reading material and tackle my mobility in a better fashion.

You might be getting more out of your existing mobility routines than you realize. But... yes it is very easy to just go through the 'motions'; it's a trap I have fallen into at times as well. All our training needs to be engaged with a purpose...

I realized, much to my chagrin, that I have been simply going through the motions with my mobility work lately. It is embarrassing to admit, but it is true. I sat and stretched yesterday before I began, and realized that I have made little progress in getting more limber. So, time to bust out the reading material and tackle my mobility in a better fashion.

You know... I'm not convinced that "going through the motions" isn't what you want to feel on mobility work. Granted, mobility and strength are related, but the whole ideal, I think, around mobility is getting comfortable.

We know that progressive overload works for building strength; faced with increasing intensity and given sufficient conditions to recover, muscles will get stronger. I don't think mobility works that way, and it seems to even work the opposite way; faced with increasing intensity at the ROM limit, the nervous system reacts by fighting harder and limiting the ROM.

Granted, we want to practice mindfully, but I think it's all about getting "comfortably uncomfortable", and then just accumulating time.

Unfortunately, it seems to take for-freakin'-ever...

Granted, we want to practice mindfully, but I think it's all about getting "comfortably uncomfortable", and then just accumulating time.

Unfortunately, it seems to take for-freakin'-ever...
I wonder if it is a question of finding the right mobility modality for your CNS. If I focus on stretching or yoga, it takes "for-freakin'-ever" but I had a run at a gymnastics style program (elements from GMB) a while back and got dramatic changes in just a few weeks.

I wonder if it is a question of finding the right mobility modality for your CNS. If I focus on stretching or yoga, it takes "for-freakin'-ever" but I had a run at a gymnastics style program (elements from GMB) a while back and got dramatic changes in just a few weeks.

Interesting thought.

I've also wondered as well if we might not all be better off cycling mobility work in some form, just like strength programs do. Spend 4 weeks working on A, then spend 4 weeks working on B, then come back to A. The worry is always that while you're working on B, A will decline too far... I've never read anybody recommending that kind of cycling, so I presume it's probably not the best approach... but at a minimum, maybe doing some hopping around would help us find what really works best for us.

April 10/11

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Easy days, light on the mobility work, because I am trying to go easy one day, and press things a bit on the second day. Unfortunately, I went easy both days. That's what happens when you aren't keeping track of your work I suppose.

April 12

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 8 x 3/3 x 20 kg

I decided to try and add some lower body work to this program, because, why not work the biggest muscle chains as well? At least, that is my thought process. So, I added squats to the program. Each set was clean once, press/squat three times, then set the kettlebell down and recover. Big difference from last week, all around. Depending on how I feel during recovery, I may or may not keep this as my routine.

Stay safe!

April 14

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 8 x 4/4 x 20 kg

Yeah, adding the squats was a great idea. The difference in this weeks sessions is noticeable. I am enjoying them more this week though. I do need to add work on my off days, walking for now sounds like the best idea. Easy days and harder days.......

I hope you and your family are staying safe.

April 15

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Easy day, just some mobility work, but again, it doesn't seem to be working like I am expecting. I would think that by now I would see real progress. I guess it is time for some research.

Stay healthy & safe!

April 16

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 5 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Whew, that was challenging to complete. I am definitely feeling the squats in my legs. This is a very enjoyable routine, and a challenging one as well. The next couple of days I am researching different, or maybe even better, mobility work.

Stay healthy & safe!

April 19

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean, Press, and Squat: 6 x 4/4 x 20 kg

Week 3 has begun, and I am still plugging along. I have decided to just sit in my stretches longer, rather than reinvent the wheel. So, I will be taking more time in each movement, just relaxing and allowing gravity to stretch out this old body. The morning stuff gets my blood moving, so I will keep doing those movements.

Stay healthy & safe!

April 20

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Hamstring Stretching
90/90 Stretch

I went for a nice walk after I finished working today. 30 relaxing minutes in the fresh air really felt good. Definitely will be doing my T-Spine mobility work tomorrow.

Stay healthy & safe!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom