all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
January 11

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS: 16, 16, 16, 16, 16

SLDLs will have to wait for week or so, no sense in getting ahead of things. 100 swings with the 16 kg felt good tonight. I may be on to something here.

January 12

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 10 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows 5 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Good session this evening, everything is feeling good so far. The mobility work is starting to feel like it is working, and the kettlebell work is working.....lol

I did not test my 1RM before I started this program, so I will when it calls for a test session. Otherwise, I plan to go up to my 24 kg after I complete this cycle, and move up to the 20 kg, maybe the 24 kg for the rows in my next cycle. The swing weight will go by feel, as that is my "cardio" work to offset this work, which is more power-centric. However, if the strength carries over to my swings, I will go with it.

January 13

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

This was really a good session tonight. I did the swings at the top of the minute, every other minute. So 100 swings done in 20 minutes, nice and easy. I plan to reduce the time between sets by either 15 or 30 seconds, depending on how I feel in my next swing session. Slowly making my way down to the 5 minutes standard.....

January 14

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 12 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows 6 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Another good session tonight. This never ceases to amaze me how good it feels to work through this program, without being wiped out afterwards. I am thinking of adding squats to this program. Maybe 5 squats on each side in the same sets as rows. I will try this out in my next session.

January 15/16 These were rest days, the 15th was a rough work day, and the 16th was planned.

January 17

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 14 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows 7 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Forgot all about adding squats to my work, probably should just leave them out for now. This plan is working well, no sense in changing things, for now.

January 18

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

I decided to try EMOM for my swings, feeling confident tonight. That was just about perfect. I recovered between sets, and I didn’t feel wiped out. However, I felt like I could have gone faster, less time between sets......so, I will see how 45 seconds feels next session. So far, this routine really feels good.

January 19

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 3 x 2/2 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows: 4 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Session 7 of 18 and all is still going very well. After performing 14 sets last session, this felt, almost, inadequate, only performing 3 sets, but I am following the program as outlined, for presses anyway...lol. Still, this is such an enjoyable routine, to me anyway. My wife came to me about buying a cardio machine for the house recently. I voiced my choice as a rower, then maybe a stationary bike. Of course, the rower may have been slightly influenced by @Strong Rick and his training log.....

January 19

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 3 x 2/2 x 20 kg

Session 7 of 18 and all is still going very well. After performing 14 sets last session, this felt, almost, inadequate, only performing 3 sets, but I am following the program as outlined, for presses anyway...lol. Still, this is such an enjoyable routine, to me anyway. My wife came to me about buying a cardio machine for the house recently. I voiced my choice as a rower, then maybe a stationary bike. Of course, the rower may have been slightly influenced by @Strong Rick and his training log.....
Rower

January 20 - Unscheduled day off, wife bought an office chair that had to be put together. What I thought would be a 20 minute ordeal took almost an hour....so beer and Mexican food was on tap for the evening.

January 21

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

EMOM again tonight, and this still feels almost perfect. Enough work to break a sweat, but I could recover enough between sets that I could pass the talk test. While 45 seconds was my aim for this session, I decided that I would go EMOM again instead. Probably one more session EMOM before I try every 45 seconds. I was also considering one of two alternatives. Either add more sets, or drop the number of sets to 6, and increase the bell to 20 kg.

Last edited:
January 22

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 4 x 2/2 x 20 kg

Quality training session today. Got this session in over lunch, and it felt great.

Still looking for a rower that doesn't break the bank, and is a good machine...maybe this weekend we will find one that meets our needs and budget.

January 23 & 24 - Scheduled day off and the playoffs meant no work these two days.

January 25

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 5 x 2/2 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows: 5 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Great session tonight, everything just keeps feeling right and good.

January 26

Thank you mother nature, an hour plus of shoveling and snow blowing to clear the driveway and other spaces. On the positive side, I was no where near as tired as should have been. It seems that my work is starting to provide results.

January 27

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 6 x 2/2 x 20 kg
Bent Over Rows: 6 x 5/5 x 20 kg

I find it interesting that I am challenged, yet I still have "some left in the tank" when I am done with these sessions. Such good work done in about 30 minutes from first Halo to the last row.

January 26

Thank you mother nature, an hour plus of shoveling and snow blowing to clear the driveway and other spaces. On the positive side, I was no where near as tired as should have been. It seems that my work is starting to provide results.
Hmmm, don't recall Pavel mentioning snow as one of the "things that life throws at you" that S&S makes you ready for, but you have found it does (have experienced that myself)! Was it fluffy at least?

January 28

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Went for something different tonight. I did 10L+10R before setting the kettlebell down. 5 sets of 20 swings instead of 10 sets of 10 was quite interesting. I believe rotating larger sets and reduced time between sets of 10 should really pay off. Time for some homemade chicken and dumplings. I spoil my wife.......lol

January 20 - Unscheduled day off, wife bought an office chair that had to be put together. What I thought would be a 20 minute ordeal took almost an hour....so beer and Mexican food was on tap for the evening.

January 21

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

EMOM again tonight, and this still feels almost perfect. Enough work to break a sweat, but I could recover enough between sets that I could pass the talk test. While 45 seconds was my aim for this session, I decided that I would go EMOM again instead. Probably one more session EMOM before I try every 45 seconds. I was also considering one of two alternatives. Either add more sets, or drop the number of sets to 6, and increase the bell to 20 kg.
Is the purpose of reducing the time on a circuit, of even a standalone exercise to improve GPP, or to turn it into aerobic activity? Asking for a "friend."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom