all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
July 14

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Back to kettlebell work this morning. This was a challenge after my ride yesterday. Another week or two of alternating S&S and riding, and I may try to do both on a Saturday or Sunday.

July 15

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Punch the clock session tonight. I was going to get a short ride in, but life got in the way, surprisingly. With the walking & riding, this is still enough of a challenge to feel like work, without draining my energy. Still, I feel like I should be working with the 24 kg. In time, I should be back up there.

July 16

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 24 kg

Bottom Up Press 5 x 5/5 x 12 kg

I saw a post on Instagram where someone did a get up holding the kettlebell bottom up. A little research, and I found out that this is a good shoulder stabilizing movement. I also read the article on this forum about the bottoms up press, The Bottoms-Up Experiment. So, I decided that I would give it a go. Halos stayed the same, the 20 kg feels just right. I went with the 24 kg for my squats, because I needed to work my hips and thighs. It really felt good getting deep with the heavier kettlebell.

I went with my lightest kettlebell for these presses, because I wanted to make sure I could perform this movement. What a wise choice this was. First, I had to kneel to perform them in my workout area, because the ceiling is too low. Talk about core firing! These were tough, tougher than I thought they would be. Focusing on grip, balance, and form made these formidable for my first time. However, this was enjoyable.

I can see keeping this in my rotation. With the biking and swings using the same muscle groups, maybe alternating this pressing and S&T with S&S may be the variety I need, along with the strength work necessary to alternate with my cardio to make my body adapt to different challenges.

July 17

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Steady session tonight. Focused on form, power, and stability in my work tonight.

July 18

Travel day today, as I am heading to my childhood home town for my class reunion this weekend. I will be accompanied by at least one kettlebell on this trip.

Last edited:
July 19

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

Got up early this morning to get my work in, along with a nice long walk before it got too hot outside. The forecast was for 98-100 with heat indices well over 100. Good session, but sleeping on a different bed meant I had to really stretch and warm up before I got my work in today.

July 20

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

I went with program this today, because I again needed to get a walk in before the heat came crashing in. This really humbles me, as I feel like I should be able to press more, but not in this manner, at least not yet.

July 21

Mobility Work

Travel day today, as I am heading back home. 8 hours on the road really saps my energy, and the need for mobility work when arriving really supersedes kettlebell work.

July 22

Some introspection today after reading some posts on here, including going back and reading my log. I have continually hit a wall with the 24 kg, and ended up dropping back down each of the last two years. I have experienced progress whenever I tried a new program, but with S&S, my progress slows and or stops with the 24 kg. So, I am going to see if I can jump start my progress in this program.

With my cardio that I have added into my work, I will have to be judicious with my planning and execution. I realize that I need to do something different, since I seem to have the same problem over and over. So, I will be doing swings one day, and get ups on the following day, like an "A" & "B" session, with riding my bike and mobility work as supplemental work, along with either S&T or Bottom Up Pressing. Since my main objective is sustained progress with S&S, I will not be shooting for the stars with my supplemental work, but focusing on form, recovery, and leaving some in the tank.

July 22

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg
5 mile Ride

Day one of my new routine. Everything went well tonight. Swings really felt good, and the heavier squats really set the tone for the session. My bike ride went well, 5 miles went by quicker than I expected them to.

July 23

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

TGU 5 x 1/1 x 20 kg

"B" session tonight, just get ups. However, I decided to make it a little challenging since I was only doing get ups. So I went slow from stage to stage, and held each stage for a 5 count. Yeah, that was a challenge. I found myself shaking at the high hip stage, and it took a little longer to recover between reps & sets, but it felt great. Time to go coach rugby conditioning.

July 24

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

I needed to switch my sessions, as swings & riding left me with some light DOMS that I had to stretch out over the course of the next day. I'm going to switch to where I'm doing get ups on riding days, and swings on my off days. Just sounds like a good plan to me.

Kneeling and pressing really makes you focus on the stabilizing muscles as well as the ones doing the pressing. I could clean the 12 kg for some of the reps in this session. I'm shooting to be able to clean all my reps bottom up and press without shaking and wobbling before I move up in weight.

July 25

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 20 kg

"A" session tonight, performed in sets of 20. I went 10/10 with a hand switch mid swing. I'm working towards being able to swing the 20 kg 100 times without setting it down. It's that or getting all 100 within 5 minutes.....then I'll add sets with the 24 kg.

July 28

Morning - 7 mile ride, had to ride in the morning today, supposed to be too hot this afternoon.

Evening

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Kneeling Bottom Up Press 5 x 5/5 x 12 kg

I am continuing with my not doing swings and riding on the same day. Doing these kneeling is challenging, but enjoyable.

July 29

Halos 3 x 10 x 20 kg

Soju & Tuba
Clean and Press 3 x 5/5 x 24 kg
Bent Over Rows 3 x 5/5 x 24 kg

Woke up with some hip impingement and stretching and walking did nothing to provide me some relief. Ironically, the goblet squats did help some, but I went with Soju & Tuba instead. I went with sets of 5 presses for some good work, but not something too taxing. All around good session tonight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom