all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
They may be my main movement for a couple of days. I am not sure what I did, but there is so much stiffness in my whole hip area that I'm going to be stretching, moving, and body weight squatting all day again today. I guess I must have overdone something. Oh well, time to do some mobility research, and find some new exercises for the week that will work on my hips, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back....

That's not ironic, or a surprise. Goblets with a lot of prying are awesome for loosening hips and lower back - a really good in-between strength movement. They might be a "warmup", but I find them critical.

So... what's new; what's different???
You have been riding. While riding is usually considered relatively benign, don't rule it out as a root cause. Mrs. Offwidth is working through some hip issues, and her physiotherapist has cautioned against cycling for the time being.

It might be something as simple as bike fit. Some people don't realize the complexities that exist in the various adjustments that can be made to a bicycle in order to cater for the biomechanics of an individual rider. Some people are also more or less susceptible to the negative or positive impacts of these adjustments.

I'm not saying that this is the cause of, or contributing to your hip problem, but you might consider looking at it...

Actually, I am pretty sure this may very well be the root cause. Riding is the only thing that has really changed. The mobility work has provided me some relief, but I am not going to be riding for a week or so. Well, I apparently need to be stretching more as well, yesterday's work was a real challenge for me. I thought the simple work I was doing before I started my sessions was enough, nope. So, while I work out my hip issues, I will be re-thinking my daily stretching and mobility work.

So... what's new; what's different???
You have been riding. While riding is usually considered relatively benign, don't rule it out as a root cause. Mrs. Offwidth is working through some hip issues, and her physiotherapist has cautioned against cycling for the time being.

It might be something as simple as bike fit. Some people don't realize the complexities that exist in the various adjustments that can be made to a bicycle in order to cater for the biomechanics of an individual rider. Some people are also more or less susceptible to the negative or positive impacts of these adjustments.

I'm not saying that this is the cause of, or contributing to your hip problem, but you might consider looking at it...

July 30

Body weight squats
Foam rolling
Mobility work

Good lord, that was rough. When you lay on your foam roller & it takes like 5 minutes for you to be able to straighten out your leg, something is wrong. Yeah, I broke out into a full lather just stretching and working on loosening my hip girdle. So, kettlebells and the bike are on the shelf for at least a week while I work on becoming more limber.

July 31

Body weight squats
Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine Work

Slowly, my hip is loosening up, but damn if this isn't hard work to keep it loose. I haven't done anything but walk and some grease the groove stretching, but this is a challenge every day. One day at a time.

August 1

Body weight squats
Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine Work

Things are a little better today, but I am still progressing slower than I would like. Patience is key, but this is still frustrating not being able to loosen back up.

August 2/3/4

Body weight goblet squats
Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine work
90/90 Stretch

Finally, I have experienced some real progress. After a week of stretching and walking, and little else, the pain is diminishing, and the stiffness is waning. So, logically, another week of this program needs to be followed before I start my training.

Finally, I have experienced some real progress. After a week of stretching and walking, and little else, the pain is diminishing, and the stiffness is waning. So, logically, another week of this program needs to be followed before I start my training.
great news! maybe start out with S+S with a little lower weight for a few weeks to see how you feel... I am doing this now( as you have been reading) and I cant believe what it is doing for me. My body is responding very well and all my little aches and pains are slowly going away day by day and week by week I keep feeling better. This might be what you need for about month to start feeling better again

Just a thought.

Great idea! I did read your log, and I think working with a lighter kettlebell should be just the thing to do. I think I'll do a week with the 12 kg to loosen up and get everything back to where it belongs, then up to the 16......

great news! maybe start out with S+S with a little lower weight for a few weeks to see how you feel... I am doing this now( as you have been reading) and I cant believe what it is doing for me. My body is responding very well and all my little aches and pains are slowly going away day by day and week by week I keep feeling better. This might be what you need for about month to start feeling better again

Just a thought.

August 6

Foam rolling
Lateral Arch over foam roller
Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 12 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 12 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 12 kg

Slowly but surely, things are getting better. Swings felt sharper tonight. Get ups are also feeling better. I am not sure how much that lateral arch did for me, but it felt good.

August 7

Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine work
90/90 Stretch

Just as I was finishing up my mobility work, my son calls & says, "let's go out for dinner and some fun". Well, ok, let's go! So, no kettlebell work, but some good mobility work.

Just as I was finishing up my mobility work, my son calls & says, "let's go out for dinner and some fun". Well, ok, let's go!
I am enjoying this time with my son right now so I am not rushing it but that will be cool when my son calls me up and we can do that one day...That is part of being a great dad! Great choice!

August 8

Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

Soju & Tuba 3 x 1/1 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 3 x 5/5 x 20 kg

Time was short tonight, so back to Soju & Tuba. Of course, I included the bent over rows again. This is still such an enjoyable program. I went lower in weight to match my restarting my pursuit of Simple. Great session tonight. Time to go coach rugby.

August 9/10/11

Light mobility work and stretching

August 12

Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

Soju & Tuba 4 x 2/2 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 4 x 5/5 x 20 kg
SLDL 3 x 5/5

Went out of town for the weekend, and didn't grab a kettlebell, so light work was the plan until I got back home. A 4.5 hour drive took almost 7 hours, nothing but a second round of stretching was the evening work

Back to kettlebell work tonight, staying light, but I added in some SLDL work for some additional body weight work. Good session, another week like this and I should be ready for some work with the 16 kg.

August 13

Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 12 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 12 kg

That was just what I needed. My mobility work really loosened me up, to the point I felt like I didn't need the foam roller or the Lateral Arch. I was right. My swings were crisp and sharp, and my get ups were solid. I'm finding some holes in my form that are getting closed up. This week should be more productive than last week.

August 14

Foam rolling
Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

Soju & Tuba 5 x 2/2 x 20 kg
Bent Over Row 5 x 5/5 x 20 kg
SLDL 3 x 5/5

Good session tonight, everything just felt right. The mobility work really seems to be making a difference. I am liking this rotation so far.

August 16 - Scheduled day off

August 17

Mobility work
T-Spine work

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 12 kg
TGU 5 x 1/1 x 12 kg

A few more sessions before I add some work with the 16 kg.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom