all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Sinister list is growing...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I noticed that Hyun Jin Choi has an interesting variation in her get up technique. The way she moves her legs in and out of the lunge position is different than most of the demonstrations I have seen. Apparently it is working well for her.

That's cool, but even as a fairly serious combat sport participant, Simple is more than good enough.

Not to be combative (pun intended)... but to some, there is no good enough. The desire for more is a blessing and a curse. A wonderfully cursed blessing.

Congrats to all those on top of that hill... show us what else you can do!

@Robert Noftz, some people move the front foot rather than windshield the back. Is that what you’re referring to? It’s quite common and is an acceptable alternative that is even the preferred way for some people.

-S-

@Robert Noftz, some people move the front foot rather than windshield the back. Is that what you’re referring to? It’s quite common and is an acceptable alternative that is even the preferred way for some people.

-S-
Yes, that is what I was referring too. It looks like it works very well for her. I just hadn't noticed anyone doing it before. I probably saw her doing it in a video before and didn't notice it.
I started doing get ups with long pants on because the rotation on my knee was causing a problem for my skin. I might try this variation in the future.

There has been a lot of benefit to watching other people's videos. It is interesting to see the variations that people use in there get up technique.

That's cool, but even as a fairly serious combat sport participant, Simple is more than good enough.
When I first became interested in Simple and Sinister I didn't really understand how high the
Sinister standard really is.
I have noticed that some instructors with years of kettlebell experience have really had to work to meet the standard. Some people may not be able to meet it because of their size and strength. Even people who are strong have to struggle because of the endurance required.
It's looking like it could take a long time to get the movement patterns programmed into the nervous system so they can be done with maximal efficiency.

After reading Kozushi's comment I think I may agree with him. It seems like the Sinister standard is so high that the energy required for it could detract from training in a sport like Judo or JuJitsu.
It seems like attaining the Sinister standard would have to be the main goal for most people who do it.

I think @Anna C was 47 or 48 years old when she did it.
I started practicing with kettlebells about a year ago, a few months before my 49th birthday. I wasn't in great shape when I started. I'll be 50 in February. I'm planning to make a run at hitting the time standard with the 40kg kettlebell in the next 2-3 months. After that I will consider whether I should pursue the Sinister standard. After hitting the Simple standard I just practiced without worrying about the times. I have no doubt I am stronger and more endurable than when I made it but I have never tested myself with the 40kg. I find the testing phase to be a little torturous. The daily practice is more manageable.

Yes, that is what I was referring too. It looks like it works very well for her. I just hadn't noticed anyone doing it before. I probably saw her doing it in a video before and didn't notice it.
I started doing get ups with long pants on because the rotation on my knee was causing a problem for my skin. I might try this variation in the future.
Do try it if the standard way is painful. The only issue with this variation is that after the swipe, you have to lift the bell-side foot while kneeling. This means that you are balancing on one leg (knee and toes) only during the rotation.

After reading Kozushi's comment I think I may agree with him. It seems like the Sinister standard is so high that the energy required for it could detract from training in a sport like Judo or JuJitsu.
It seems like attaining the Sinister standard would have to be the main goal for most people who do it.

When I started Simple even that seemed completely out of reach, but now I know it's very doable for me in the next six months or so. Sinister looked utterly impossible, but now that I'm trying to advance to a 20kg get-up (after I recover from an injury), 24kg doesn't seem that farfetched anymore. I mean, I've even seen a few videos of women my size or smaller doing 32kg get-ups, and the goalposts constantly move for what may be possible with patience and smart training.
Then again, I'm not currently doing any sports. This is it. So my priorities may change if I find a sport I can be involved in.

Congratulations to the new people who achieved Sinister. Some of us are still looking for what's possible, and those examples are invaluable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom