all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Sinister list is growing...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've done 6 TGUs in a row with the 48kg bell before, so I don't think the TGU aspect of Sinister is far off for me. Even for swings, I can certainly do them all with the 40kg, so I can certainly see myself moving up to Sinister at some point.
I just want to add something for people who just started S&S and read this thread.
There's a big difference between 10 TGUs in 10min and 10 TGUs in 10min after the 5min swings.

I just want to add something for people who just started S&S and read this thread.
There's a big difference between 10 TGUs in 10min and 10 TGUs in 10min after the 5min swings.
I am nowhere near that yet, of course!

Actually, for my personal satisfaction, when I'm doing the daily routine with the 48, I'll hold myself a Hercules, regardless of how long it takes.

Yea, I regularly do TGUs with 40kg now, and I actually think the beast is within reach on the TGU. The swings... different story for sure. I haven't made 10x10 with 36kg yet, but I'm working on it.

Yea, I regularly do TGUs with 40kg now, and I actually think the beast is within reach on the TGU. The swings... different story for sure. I haven't made 10x10 with 36kg yet, but I'm working on it.
Have you considered making the jump to 40kg on the swing? Pavel recommends big jumps as a way to send a message to the system that it is time to grow. I remember when I first picked up the 40kg and tried to swing it. I had been swinging the 32kg for a while and was explosive for 5 sets of 10 on each side. When I first picked up the 40kg I struggled to move it a few times. I added it in a little at a time and got to the point that I could swing it explosively for 5 sets of 10. I recently started doing the same thing with the 48. I am only doing sets of 5 right now but the first time I picked up the beast I couldn't do one good swing with it. They call it the beast for a reason. I haven't used any other weights just the 24, 32, 40, and 48.

Best of luck,

Have you considered making the jump to 40kg on the swing? Pavel recommends big jumps as a way to send a message to the system that it is time to grow. I remember when I first picked up the 40kg and tried to swing it. I had been swinging the 32kg for a while and was explosive for 5 sets of 10 on each side. When I first picked up the 40kg I struggled to move it a few times. I added it in a little at a time and got to the point that I could swing it explosively for 5 sets of 10. I recently started doing the same thing with the 48. I am only doing sets of 5 right now but the first time I picked up the beast I couldn't do one good swing with it. They call it the beast for a reason. I haven't used any other weights just the 24, 32, 40, and 48.

Best of luck,

I've considered it, however I've used a density approach with 36kg to build the volume. At first I was mixing in sets of 3, then 5, then 5x10, 5x12, my goal for Wednesday is 5x14 with 36kg & over the next several weeks to scale up as follows:

6x12
6x14
7x12
7x14
10x10 (right? :eek:)

Obviously, it probably won't be that linear, but I want to own 36kg all-around before giving it a run with 40 & trying a similar density approach.

Well, I haven't hit Simple yet. I started in January of 2017, and I have done sets of swings with the 32 kg kettlebell, but no get ups, yet. I am comfortable using the 24 kg kettlebell, and I will begin to chase the time standard with it starting this coming Sunday. Once I hit the Simple standard, I will incorporate the 28 kg kettlebell, then the 32 kg kettlebell. I hope to hit the Simple standard by my 52nd birthday, in July.

I will be using intermediate bells too.

Do any of you guys progress heavier bells as in the example given in the book ? I mean adding in a set of 10 reps with the next bell.

And is there really a point in getting the 1:1 work/recovery ratio on every bell ? I mean swinging heavier always makes the previous bell feel like a toy. Even with 4kg increments.

I will be using intermediate bells too.

Do any of you guys progress heavier bells as in the example given in the book ? I mean adding in a set of 10 reps with the next bell.
With swings, no. Grip is the limiting factor. sets of 5L + 5R with no pause for a while first.

I have done that in the past - using 8Kg steps and adding sets with the heavier KB. In my case always 2 sets of 10 though (1 set per hand). Worked fine. You just need to accept that maybe rest time needs to increase to 2, 3 or 4min before and after the heavier sets.

And is there really a point in getting the 1:1 work/recovery ratio on every bell ? I mean swinging heavier always makes the previous bell feel like a toy. Even with 4kg increments.
I didn't wait until I could pass the time test to start working with a heavier KB for exactly the reason you mentioned.
At least for me working with a heavier KB was a much more successful way to reach the time standard than trying to decrease rest time with the current weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom