all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Snatch vs Clean and press

I haven't seen any studies on untrained lifters and caloric deficits, so I don't know. I'd just be making stuff up if I answered.

When I'm in a deficit, I don't use hypertrophy style programming; in a deficit I'm using either strength or power programming.

I save hypertrophy programming for when I'm in a surplus because it's a lot more effective to add muscle in a surplus, which is the whole point of hypertrophy programming.
Vouw. This is really telling for me. Thanks.

I would think much more in terms of programming, for fat loss -- reps, sets, rest, total work -- than what exercise to use. However some exercises lend themselves better to total work than others. In that respect, C&P can be done at somewhat high volume for short periods of time, with proper build-up (such as with ROP); however, I think I've seen more people be successful with volume with snatches; either light weight and lots of reps, or heavier and lots of repeats with rest (A+A).
Anna, you ever try neuperts king sized killer?

To follow up what someone else said, whichever makes you the least hungry.
I find CP makes me very hungry, as well as compressing rest periods for swings/snatches.
My vote would be for snatches, concentrating on form for repeats of 5 reps, once you lose some power or form, then end the session.
Doing snatches requires high power and as another poster said, that keeps their muscle mass in a cut.
Mix in some aerobic activity and experience the slow burn of fat, which is due to diet I guess, but the aerobic training will up your fat burning, and the snatches should keep you strong enough.
After you shred the unwanted fat, you will be in a good position the re establish some new goals and go from there.

I'm currently in the middle of KSK 1.0 and have noticed I'm slightly less hungry than when I run double kb complexes. After running a few programs from More Kettlebell Muscle, I was just hungry all the time. I lost some weight running complexes but it was hard with being so hungry all the time. I've been in a caloric deficit-ish (without killing myself) for a few months now and down about 20lbs/10kgs.

Fast-forward to KSK and the weight is just burning off with a slight caloric deficit. And I feel great afterwards even after the heavy days. KSK made me a big fan of single exercise programs that I'm running it back once 1.0 is done with a heavier weight. There was a thread on here a little while ago about combining KSK and The Giant that might be something to look into as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom