The Surprising Truth About Sugar

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by Hasbro, Sep 17, 2019.

1. kennycro@@aol.com

kennycro@@aol.com More than 500 posts

Glycogen and Ketones

The percentage of muscle glycogen and ketones used is dependent on various factors; primarily diet and your training protocol.

The Ketogenic Diet

The Ketogenic Diet depletes glycogen in approximately 3 days and the body shift over to using ketones for energy.

Intermittent Fasting

Fasting increase the fat burning hormones (nor-ephedrine, ephedrine, glucagon, cortisol, etc). Research shows fat burning as well as you metabolism initially increase.

Muscle Glycogen Restoration

Research shows that muscle glycogen level are restored to approximately the same as those on a Traditional Western Diet, once Keto Adapted. There a time element to it.

Muscle Glycogen Restoration occurs via gluconeogenesis. Protein and Glycerol from Triglycerides are converted to glucose and stored in the muscles.

Kenny Croxdale

Abdul-Rasheed likes this.
  2. Abdul-Rasheed

Abdul-Rasheed Quadruple-Digit Post Count

3. ali

ali Quadruple-Digit Post Count

This is the thing with keto - it is the saviour from the Traditional Western Diet, whatever that is. I think it is a diet of excess energy intake making people overweight, ridden with diabetes and all sorts of metabolic issues. Is this the definition?
    Carbs get the blame for this, in steps keto, saving the day. It's a nice simple solution. When we all know it is excess energy of both carb and fat.The food products consumed on this traditional western diet are high in both fat and carb.
    So what if you are not on this traditional western diet - that you eat good food in moderation and you are healthy?
    Does the ketogenic diet save you from the excesses of too much fruit, veg and tubers? And in what way? And what exactly, precisely, are the metabolic pathways that differentiate it from a healthy diet of some protein, some carbs and fibre and some fats?

Oscar likes this.
  4. kennycro@@aol.com

My post that you quoted, "Research shows that muscle glycogen level are restored to approximately the same as those on a Traditional Western Diet, once Keto Adapted", is in regard to what occurs with Keto Adaptation.

I am not sure how you came up your reply to that. There's nothing in my statement that even states, let alone hints the Ketogenic Diet is the savior to anything.

I've hammered that point home in many of my post; that one of the main issues is consuming too many calories, no matter what diet you consume.

Kenny Croxdale

ShawnM and Abdul-Rasheed like this.
  5. ali

Yes you do, thank you and noted. My view isn't directed at you, Kenny, more a general observation on the world of keto.
    There is a theme however....that the keto world offers science to the conundrums of human physiology. And this theme is corrupted by those with a vested interest in health marketing and promotion.
    I get it, everyone's at it, keto is not alone in this regard.
    The result? Polarised views about food. I really don't understand why and how it happened.

Steve Freides and Abdul-Rasheed like this.
  6. kennycro@@aol.com

Agreed

As I have posted, I've been on Keto for over three years for a metabolic condition. It took me some time to understand and become acclimated to it and learn on to train on it.

I now enjoy the Keto Diet.

However, as you noted, there appears to be some misunderstanding and knowledge on the Ketogenic Diet.

I try, as you, to present dispel myths and misinformation and provide the facts.

Kenny Croxdale

7. ali

A timely read today.....
    A review of a book by Bill Bryson. I've read a lot of his books and his latest caught my eye....
    To re-iterate, I've not actually read it, only a review of it...
    The Body: A Guide for Occupants:

All about the mysteries within us all:

"He has waded through a PhD's worth of articles, interviewed physicians and biologists, read a library of books, and had a great deal of fun along the way......jokes factoids and biographical interludes."

the reviewer concludes:

"...the ultimate conclusions of his book could stand as an ultimate prescription for life: eat a little less, move a little more."

Amen.

Billy59 and Oscar like this.
  8. Damiola

Damiola Double-Digit Post Count

Human body is a new theme for Bryson's writings. I am a bit weary of popular health writings in general, as it is easy to misinterpret research or fall into the confirmation bias. On the other hand, I am going to take a leap of faith and get the book, even if for Bryson's exceptional sense of humor.

Billy59 likes this.