all posts post new thread

Old Forum The Swing by T.R.-advice for structure?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi all,
right before I start, sorry if my post sound too stupid, but I am new figuring out a workout strucure, which fits into my schedule. So I am still in the phase of trying out.
Since I had to cut back my swing workouts (too much with bouldering, too aspirational-that's me), I re-discovered a book in my shelf -The Swing by Tracy Reifkind-. I once have bought it, but didn't really follow any structure, just followed her workouts on youtube now and then.
Well, my actual question is, how you would structure workouts 1-5. I would like to have more information out of your experience, than I can read in the book.
I can do #1 and #2 easily, #3 is okay and the progression should be no problem.
If I do 2 workouts a week, how to structure? Do wo#3 and #4, #4 and #5 the next week, i.e. repeat the second workout of the week as the first one in the next week? Or practice one workout until I would need a heavier bell?
What would be your advice?
Merci :) g.

Hello Sir,
Yes, I did, you are right. But I thought 2 workouts per week of Tracy's program could be doable. From Simple to Sinister would be more days of swings: 3-5?
Thank you for stepping in!

True, but it's only 100 swings per workout. So, it's a higher frequency, but it's a lower volume per workout.

I'm not familiar with Tracy's workouts, but a higher volume workout (per session) may take more out of you than a lower volume workout, even if the frequency is higher on the lower volume workouts. Does that make sense?

For example (just making these numbers up since I don't know Tracy's programs); doing two sessions per week of 250 swings may be harder than five sessions per week of 100 swings. It's still 500 swings total either way, but because you're doing so much more per session (250 vs. 100), the 250-swing sessions may interfere with your climbing more.

I think that especially if you follow the HR monitor discussion on rest time, you should have more left in the tank from S&S than a more intense daily volume (even if less frequently), as Jason says. This means that the 100 swings may take you anywhere from 10-20 minutes, (with no shame if it takes longer to keep your spike at or below 180-age). At that point, it won't be fatigue that you have to manage, but at first the S&S sessions may take longer than you can do 3-6 times a week (since following Al's advice on the long rests and Heart Rate monitor thread, it has taken me 35-40 minutes to finish from the first Goblet Squat to the last TGU), though its only been 3 sessions and I look forward to seeing that time come down naturally with aerobic improvement.

Hmmm...
Number of swings increases from wo #1-#5.
A) 5x100 swings per week + 2 days of climbing
B) or 2x around 300-400 swings + climbing

B gives more time to rest my hands/grip
I assume I have to try it out. One week of A and one of B.
Anyone combining kb and other sports?

At the end of the "A Little Every Day Goes a Long Way" chapter of S&S, Pavel says that the program can tolerate twice a week training if absolutely necessary. In the same chapter, he mentions how Michael Castrogiovanni found that 100 swings 3 times a week gave the most benefit for the least amount of time. That may be the best fit for your activities. The first point in the "Simple and Sinister Summarized" chapter says if you are doing other serious strength training, two days a week is appropriate. If your other activities are leaving you too fatigued for more frequent S&S, then that may be a similar situation.

tl;dr
Try 2 or 3 S&S sessions a week if that's what it takes to not interfere with the physical activities you enjoy.

gergirl - regarding your A & B above... Yes, B gives you more time to rest your hands/grip. But, you will need that extra time because you did 300-400 swings.

Doing only 100 swings, you won't need as much time to rest.

If I do 100 (1-arm) swings, it generally doesn't bother me the next day. I'm OK to do the same workout again without a full rest day.

But when I do more swings (200-300, 2-arm), my grip is usually taxed more, and I can feel it more the next day. So, I'm more likely to need a full rest day.

But as you say, the best thing to do is to try it yourself each way for a couple of weeks and see how each affects you.

Hi,
just a short up date, if you are interested at all:
I do the swings after my bouldering and take the next day off from swinging/climbing. So I have about 3-5x practice during the week and 3x of TGU. I will keep on combining the things for the next three weeks (to complete a 4 week cycle) and see if I can handle this procedure.
g.:)

Sounds good, GG, enjoy your swings and getups and climbing!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom