all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Swing makes me lose touch in my toes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Khayman

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi there! I’m the new guy but I’ve been woking out with kettlebells for almost 12 years now.
Btw, sorry about my bad English but I am from Sweden.
Three years ago I herniated two discs in my back (L1-L2 and L4-L5) when I stoped using kettlebells and tried Calestenics for a while.
So I went down and it took 1 week before I could force myself with crutches to the toilet by my self and another week before I could manage to go back to the bed before I collapsed. 3 weeks before I could walk around with crutches at home.
The doctors told me that they wanted to go in and operate because it was so bad but I didn’t have any problems with leaking so I said that I didn’t want that.
Now 3 years later I am stronger in my back then ever before but still have days where I feel something in my back but!
Now for the problem... I still have problems with my left foot where it feels like I’m loosing the feeling (Touch?) in my second toe after that injurie, and now when I’m trying the Plan 015 in Quick and dead I’m starting to lose touch in my right foot also.
The doctors here in Sweden are really bad and can never tell me what the problem is so you guys are my next hope :)
Have you ever seen anything like this problem before? I even got blue toes from this so my guess is that something in my hips are so tight that it cuts of the blood. Any idea what can be done? Stretching, working out harder with the bells... surgeon..
Well thanks for listening and I really hope there is someone in here that have a clue.
Kind regards from a cold Sweden!

@Khayman, please visit our web site, click on Find An Instructor, then put "Sweden" in the search box.

Work with one of our instructors in person to determine what's next for you. I suggest this because the next order of business is to determine if something you are doing when you are exercising is making your back worse and not better.

-S-

Välkommen

A few things..

What do you do for your warmup? Do you do any movement for active recovery?? These can often restore your toe touch almost immediately

Your injury is your first clue

Välkommen

A few things..

What do you do for your warmup? Do you do any movement for active recovery?? These can often restore your toe touch almost immediately

Your injury is your first clue
Tack så mycket!
I've done the warm-up from "TacFit spetsnaz" for many years but changed it a bit to warm the shoulders up more. But to be honest the isn't too much warm-up for the hips.

And no, I have some
movements for recovery like suitcase deadlift and bulgarian split squat with chair that I got from a physiotherapist.
It didn't really help me.
So if you have any advice for what can be done as active movements I would love to try it out!

Welcome @Khayman!
Well, maybe you can find a Doctor who lifts or knows about sport injuries/rehab.

In the meantime, I would try the Original Strength resets (don't forget deep breathing!). They follow the way we developed our motorn patterns in the first place and help to build reflexive strength/stability, motor control and suppleness.

A lot of folks have found that the resets (rocking, rolling, head movements, breathing, contra-lateral movement like crawling or marching) have helped them to get rid of pain or other issues. I know it sounds vague, but give it a shot. Your brain needs quality input to guide you to quality output, and OS is a great way to get this going. Start with 5-10 minutes per day. Try different resets before and after your swings and see if one them improves your condition.

Hope you get better soon!

PS: They have a lot of free content on youtube and elsewhere. Here is an introductory video for 17 Euro: Watch An Intro to Pressing RESET by Original Strength Online | Vimeo On Demand

I don't know if i'm allowed to write in swedish, if not then remove this post.

Har du varit hos en sjukgymnast? Jag har inte haft diskbråck men haft problem med knät, främst menisken och ledband, hundra kronor för ett besök är inte mycket och det kan verkligen hjälpa.

Steve Freides added, via Google Translate:

Have you been to a physiotherapist? I have not had a herniated disc but had problems with the knee, mainly the meniscus and ligaments, a hundred kroner for a visit is not much and it can really help.

@Wienerbroed, please do not post in a language other than English. In order for our English-speaking moderators to do their job, they must be able to understand what is posted.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if i'm allowed to write in swedish, if not then remove this post.

Har du varit hos en sjukgymnast? Jag har inte haft diskbråck men haft problem med knät, främst menisken och ledband, hundra kronor för ett besök är inte mycket och det kan verkligen hjälpa.
Tack för svaret, Jo då då jag har varit hos flera sjukgymnaster och även en som själv tränar med just kb. Jag blir alltid besviken dock då det visar sig att ingen som jag har varit hos har någon koll alls när det kommer till sånt här och istället får man några slumpvist valda övningar bara.

Thank you for the answer, Well then since I have been to several physiotherapists and also one who trains with just kb. I am always disappointed, however, when it turns out that no one I have been with has any control at all when it comes to things like this and instead you only get a few randomly selected exercises.

Please do not post in a language other than English. In order for our English-speaking moderators to do their job, they must be able to understand what is posted.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @Khayman!
Well, maybe you can find a Doctor who lifts or knows about sport injuries/rehab.

In the meantime, I would try the Original Strength resets (don't forget deep breathing!). They follow the way we developed our motorn patterns in the first place and help to build reflexive strength/stability, motor control and suppleness.

A lot of folks have found that the resets (rocking, rolling, head movements, breathing, contra-lateral movement like crawling or marching) have helped them to get rid of pain or other issues. I know it sounds vague, but give it a shot. Your brain needs quality input to guide you to quality output, and OS is a great way to get this going. Start with 5-10 minutes per day. Try different resets before and after your swings and see if one them improves your condition.

Hope you get better soon!

PS: They have a lot of free content on youtube and elsewhere. Here is an introductory video for 17 Euro: Watch An Intro to Pressing RESET by Original Strength Online | Vimeo On Demand
I have already tried to find a few doctors but no one seems to know what to do, they just send me to a physical therapist that give me some random exercises that haven’t helped at all.
So your idea of the original reset is great! I will today look in to those ones and buy it later when I know what it is. Thanks a bunch!

Get some in-person help. A doctor and a trainer. Preferably an active doctor that trains.

I have lower back issues as well. But I have been in remission for years now. If it is possible (I'm not sure of your equipment), I would take time off of swings and build your strength with grinds vs ballistics (deadlift, for example). Some people, who are flexion intolerant, should not be doing kbell swings. Stu McGill addresses this point in his book "Back Mechanic" (I highly recommend this book). I know this is hard to hear. Maybe even try it for a few months (replace swings/snatches with deadlifts) and see if your problems get better/worse - as a test, design of experiment ala the scientific method.

As someone who performs swings and snatches, I am always careful about my volume. I try to keep my # of hinges to a minimum. And I dont bother with training programs that put me against a clock. Because if I race against a clock then form could start to degrade. When form degrades lumbar problems can arise for me. I once fell into this trap with Q&D, totally my fault, my back was a bit tight and I shut it down (the workout). I would recommend A&A approach vs Q&D for someone with a lumbar issue. Just because one doesnt chase the clock between sets and between reps.

This is my experience based on a sample population of 1, myself, lol. I am not a trainer. Good luck to you. I know these matters can be frustrating.

Regards,

Eric

May I ask how you hurt your lower back?

Having gone through some lower back injury in 2018 and 2019 gave me more perspective on how to avoid it

You are describing significant neurological and potentially vascular compromise and you should stop the activities that are causing such symptoms and find a healthcare provider you do trust and can work with. (referral to a sports physio for example)

You are seeking an exercise solution to a medical problem.

Get some in-person help. A doctor and a trainer. Preferably an active doctor that trains.

I have lower back issues as well. But I have been in remission for years now. If it is possible (I'm not sure of your equipment), I would take time off of swings and build your strength with grinds vs ballistics (deadlift, for example). Some people, who are flexion intolerant, should not be doing kbell swings. Stu McGill addresses this point in his book "Back Mechanic" (I highly recommend this book). I know this is hard to hear. Maybe even try it for a few months (replace swings/snatches with deadlifts) and see if your problems get better/worse - as a test, design of experiment ala the scientific method.

As someone who performs swings and snatches, I am always careful about my volume. I try to keep my # of hinges to a minimum. And I dont bother with training programs that put me against a clock. Because if I race against a clock then form could start to degrade. When form degrades lumbar problems can arise for me. I once fell into this trap with Q&D, totally my fault, my back was a bit tight and I shut it down (the workout). I would recommend A&A approach vs Q&D for someone with a lumbar issue. Just because one doesnt chase the clock between sets and between reps.

This is my experience based on a sample population of 1, myself, lol. I am not a trainer. Good luck to you. I know these matters can be frustrating.

Regards,

Eric
Thanks! Awesome ideas... What is A&A?
Ill try and actively search for a doctor that actually work with sport injuries.
Yea its hard to hear but its way better then loosing a toe or foot ;)
Hmm maybe I got flexion intolerant from the herniation so I just have to accept that. So deadlifts you say, I need to get som heavier gear, the most I have is two 24kg, well I could put on the 20kg kettlebells also. Would you say that its better to go heavy or grinding but easy and do more of those?
And I know that the squat is a hip hinge but would you say I should let them be also?
I really appreciate your thoughts here and they give me hope.

May I ask how you hurt your lower back?

Having gone through some lower back injury in 2018 and 2019 gave me more perspective on how to avoid it
Sure. I tried to lay of kettles for a while in 2017 because I’m very curios. So I did go to the TacFit commando by Sonnon (body weight only)and almost did the whole thing through but had some pain in lower back. The day after I took a shower and suddenly I couldn’t stand up, the pain was brutal. My wife came down and tried to pull me out of the shower but I got so bad I couldn’t even get my underwear on.
So there comes the ambulance with two young girls and I’m hanging naked all sweaty and shaking on my daughters bed with my legs on the floor ROFL they laughed which got me to relax and I got a shoot with morphine and muscle relaxing and after that I got way better and we whent in to the hospital.
That’s probably more then you needed to know but its a fun story. Anyway, I probably did something wrong in that program and its very driven by time so form is probably not that good.

You are describing significant neurological and potentially vascular compromise and you should stop the activities that are causing such symptoms and find a healthcare provider you do trust and can work with. (referral to a sports physio for example)

You are seeking an exercise solution to a medical problem.
I really hate to hear that! But I guess you are right...
I need to ask around for someone in Sweden that is good.

Hi there! I’m the new guy but I’ve been woking out with kettlebells for almost 12 years now.
Btw, sorry about my bad English but I am from Sweden.
Three years ago I herniated two discs in my back (L1-L2 and L4-L5) when I stoped using kettlebells and tried Calestenics for a while.
So I went down and it took 1 week before I could force myself with crutches to the toilet by my self and another week before I could manage to go back to the bed before I collapsed. 3 weeks before I could walk around with crutches at home.
The doctors told me that they wanted to go in and operate because it was so bad but I didn’t have any problems with leaking so I said that I didn’t want that.
Now 3 years later I am stronger in my back then ever before but still have days where I feel something in my back but!
Now for the problem... I still have problems with my left foot where it feels like I’m loosing the feeling (Touch?) in my second toe after that injurie, and now when I’m trying the Plan 015 in Quick and dead I’m starting to lose touch in my right foot also.
The doctors here in Sweden are really bad and can never tell me what the problem is so you guys are my next hope :)
Have you ever seen anything like this problem before? I even got blue toes from this so my guess is that something in my hips are so tight that it cuts of the blood. Any idea what can be done? Stretching, working out harder with the bells... surgeon..
Well thanks for listening and I really hope there is someone in here that have a clue.
Kind regards from a cold Sweden!
Agree with what @Brett Jones said. Maybe revisit the surgeons who advised you, and give them your current condition with your toes. Good luck sir.

Tack för svaret, Jo då då jag har varit hos flera sjukgymnaster och även en som själv tränar med just kb. Jag blir alltid besviken dock då det visar sig att ingen som jag har varit hos har någon koll alls när det kommer till sånt här och istället får man några slumpvist valda övningar bara.

Thank you for the answer, Well then since I have been to several physiotherapists and also one who trains with just kb. I am always disappointed, however, when it turns out that no one I have been with has any control at all when it comes to things like this and instead you only get a few randomly selected exercises.

Please do not post in a language other than English. In order for our English-speaking moderators to do their job, they must be able to understand what is posted.

Thank you.
I had problems with this first, depending on where you live you might be able to get hold of a sport physiotherapist I think it's stated that they work with injuries related to sport/performance, when you call närhälsans rehab say describe your injury and activity level and ask if there is a sport rehab (same in swedish) or anyone that works specifically with sports injuries. In sweden, doctors rarely help with rehab, you will most likely be redirected to närhalsan to help you. I've broken fingers and torn ligaments and my knees, and after a doctors visit I've always been redirected to a physiotherapist.

I had problems with this first, depending on where you live you might be able to get hold of a sport physiotherapist I think it's stated that they work with injuries related to sport/performance, when you call närhälsans rehab say describe your injury and activity level and ask if there is a sport rehab (same in swedish) or anyone that works specifically with sports injuries. In sweden, doctors rarely help with rehab, you will most likely be redirected to närhalsan to help you. I've broken fingers and torn ligaments and my knees, and after a doctors visit I've always been redirected to a physiotherapist.
Thanks I will do that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom