all posts post new thread

Barbell The System

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone read the system by Johny Parker. I’ve heard good things about it and how it lays out programming for barbells.

Has anyone read the system by Johny Parker. I’ve heard good things about it and how it lays out programming for barbells.
There is a short discussion on it in this thread (my second post there especially). I liked it. Keep in mind that it is geared towards football strength training.

There is a nice Rdella Podcast episode with Johnny Parker on it.

I highly recommend it. The book is very well written and it explains the concepts of Soviet methodology as filtered through American football very clearly. The specific focus on Olympic lifts and running/jumping workouts don't directly apply to the way I train and very few of my students have a season/off-season cycle (these are both major themes) but I still learned a lot.

Blake Nelson

I am currently reading the book. I was slightly apprehensive before getting it as the praise I saw for it felt unusually high. After getting the book and having read like a quarter of it I feel like the praise was earned.

Like I said, I haven't read it all, but the picture I've got so far, is that even if the writers have a background with the American professional sports, the training does wonders for general athleticism, especially for young people and in a generalized group setting.

I highly recommend the system! It is geared towards sports performance and the authors expertise is in American football but the concepts are pure gold. while the authors put the focus on the squats, pressing and olympic lifts (specifically the clean) but you could easily translate that to any lift you had in mind. Bench more important? make first in priority. oh if you want to try programming for your self a graphing calculator is useful, there are plenty of apps for smart phones.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom