all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Tactical Template

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
This is the basic skeleton of a training template that I worked up for tactical athletes. It is a weekly template inspired by Pavel's Total Package program. It incorporates strength, METCON, and endurance for those who need it all. I have had several operators and LEO folks using it with good feedback. When you are training lots of qualities you have to simplify a bit. Here is the basic schedule:

7 Day Per Week Template

Monday—strength
Tuesday—conditioning
Wednesday—endurance
Thursday—strength
Friday—conditioning
Saturday—endurance
Sunday—endurance

Or another option:

5 Day Per Week Template

Monday—AM strength, PM endurance
Tuesday—conditioning
Wednesday—off
Thursday—AM strength, PM endurance
Friday—conditioning
Saturday—off
Sunday—endurance

The strength portion uses a single exercise for each movement (push, pull, squat, hip hinge, core). The plan consists of two types of lifts, heavy grinds (i.e., deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, presses) and heavy quick lifts (i.e., heavy kettlebell swings, heavy kettlebell snatches, and Olympic lifts). On the strength days, you should focus on heavy lifts and the 3-8 repetition range. Varying the repetition range within this bracket makes sense. Sometimes you should focus on heavy singles and doubles for the quick lifts and heavy triples for the grinds, and other times you should use lighter weights (but still heavy) for 5-8 reps. The loading should be “wavy.” This can be done rather randomly as you feel, or systematically. Pick one exercise for each movement. 3-5 sets are about right. If you are doing singles, you may do more sets (i.e., 10 X 1). Don’t rush through these workouts. Take plenty of rest to ensure that you can move big weights with proper form. Heavy ab work belongs on the strength days as well: ¼ get-ups with a big kettlebell, hanging leg raises, hard style sit-ups, loaded carries etc.

The conditioning workouts are all about high rep ballistics (swings, snatches, cleans, jerks) and METCON. Barbell Olympic lifts are a risky way to do METCON. Kettlebell or dumbbell variants are much less risky. Save the barbell Olympic lifts for the strength sessions. “High rep” in this context means 10-20. The conditioning effect will come from keeping your rest intervals brief. Drive your heart rate up and keep it there. Always use perfect form. Never compromise movement quality for effort. Note that the sessions are brief, about 10 minutes. High quality, brief sessions are best for METCON.

For the tactical athlete, endurance generally means moving under load. You never move in a tactical situation in shorts and running shoes. Loaded movement is primarily about strength, but you need some run ability also. The foundation of the run program is two run sessions and 1 ruck. There are two weekly run structures that are alternated in an A/B/A/B/A/B fashion.

Run Plan A

VO2 Max Intervals

Tempo Run

Long Ruck

Run Plan B

Long Run

VO2 Max Intervals

Heavy Ruck

If you are approaching a run testable event (i.e., PFT or PRT) and want to sharpen up performance for the run, drop the ruck for 4-5 weeks and substitute a long run for the long ruck and a tempo run for the heavy ruck. When the run test event is over, go back to the original template.

The ruck can be dropped for those who do not need it. It can be replaced with a longer, easy run for plan A or a tempo run for plan B.

Mobility work is individual and added to the warm up with some stretching in the cool down. Note that this program is set up for those who need to perform at a high level across a wide range of abilities. This is not how I would program all around fitness for those primarily concerned with health. A program like this requires meticulous attention to recovery and nutrition. A periodic off week is also a good idea.

There are lots of ways to achieve the kind of fitness tactical athletes need. This is just one example.

Hello,

@mprevost
First, your two options sound great ! However, I would have some (certainly stupid) questions:

Are the METCONS like Crossfit wods ?
Is the second option conceived to be more sustainable due to the off days ?
Related to the first one, should it be interesting to make sunday a day off ?
Finally, what would be the difference between of these program and the combination S&S + rucking ?

I am sorry for all these questions

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Pet

METCONs are short metabolic conditioning sessions. In this case 5-10 minutes in duration, using sensible modes. Lots of kettlebell options.

I think in the first option, most people would do well to take a day off and Sunday is a good choice. Really, the first option is an aggressive schedule. One endurance session and one conditioning session could be dropped with out doing too much damage to the schedule. Many tactical athletes are compelled to train every day though.

S & S and rucking is a great choice. This program just has a different focus. Either one applied consistently and correctly is going to produce excellent fitness.

Hello,

@mprevost
Thank you for your answers.

I simply asked that because a while ago, I chose a frame like option 1, with sunday off. I admit I am not a necessarily very strong, but I am more an endurance person. For instance, I progress relatively fast for swings, or other activities such as swimming. However, grinds are another story.

This option burnt me out in about 4 months. I tried to manage it by getting up at 5am. Then I was at work between 8h20 and 6h30 pm with almost no rest in it, even if I work on a desk. Maybe it was just too much for me, sadly... Nevertheless, I do admit that it gave me a very balanced program. The fact that you do not "mix" strength, endurance and conditioning in one session allows you to perfectly focus on your move quality.

I think some people can endure pretty easily a lot of either endurance or strength training. However, combining the two with only one day off requires a good recovery. Is this program conceived to be a long run program such as S&S + rucking for instance ? Or is it more to prep a meet ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

A long run, sustainable program. To do this long term, you must moderate volume and intensity. That is why there are only 2 METCON sessions and they are short. It is also why there are only 2 strength sessions, with just a few exercises. There is still a lot of wiggle room in this structure to make the program either more or less difficult.

Hello,

@mprevost
There is still a lot of wiggle room in this structure to make the program either more or less difficult
That is exactly what I mean. At the time, it built a too strict program, with too high volume, too many time.

I believe a good program is a program you can easily adapt to your current state (if you are a bit tired for example), to keep training to a certain extent. Before, I did not listen too much my body signals, contrary to now.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom