all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Three Kinds of Exercise

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I approach exercise from a theoretical perspective. 39 years of doing it instinctively did not yield the results that theory is yielding for me these days. Anyhow, here are some thoughts on theory:

There are three kinds of exercise:

1. mobility
2. conditioning ("cardio")
3. strength

No exercise is an island. All exercises contain elements of all three.

If you play a sport a few/several times a week like Lacrosse, soccer, running, (in my opinion even things that "look" strong like judo but really aren't) you're getting your mobility and conditioning in, but not your strength training. This means that a purely strength focused programme would work well, like Naked Warrior or Power to the People.

If you play a sport only once a week or less often, you'd likely want an exercise programme that has all three elements in it, so S&S would be better - the swings and getups use a lot of movement.

If you don't play any sports then you likely should not only do conditioning and strength exercises - you should do mobility ones too, to make sure your body doesn't get creaky and brittle, and to keep the neuroplasticity flexible. Again, S&S seems like it fits the bill well. I did notice that I felt the need still to move a bit more over and above S&S to be in optimal condition. I'd go for long walks, and I eventually ended up rejoining some martial arts clubs. I'd say S&S MOSTLY covers the "mobility" requirement, but not perfectly. Real chaotic-environment movement is still needed - our bodies and minds seem to expect it.

Hello,

I agree.

IMO, a good training has to make us practice the following:
> endurance (heart, lung and "muscular")
> strength & power
> flexibility & mobility & coordination & agility & balance & precision
> speed

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel and Dan John have said something similar to this, in Easy Strength as well as other places. Essentially, if one is training for a sport, the strength and conditioning coach's job should typically be focused on strength (and power). This is because the majority of an athlete's conditioning needs will be met by practicing their sport and sport specific technical drills.

I would agree that some kind of conditioning needs to happen fairly frequently, and if one only does their sport once a week, there should be something else to pick up the slack. S&S (and similar programs) is sort of a strength biased strength and conditioning program. Plenty of people do just fine on pure S&S, but I've heard nothing but good things from people adding a little LSD walking, rucking, or running to it.

Pavel and Dan John have said something similar to this, in Easy Strength as well as other places. Essentially, if one is training for a sport, the strength and conditioning coach's job should typically be focused on strength (and power). This is because the majority of an athlete's conditioning needs will be met by practicing their sport and sport specific technical drills.

I would agree that some kind of conditioning needs to happen fairly frequently, and if one only does their sport once a week, there should be something else to pick up the slack. S&S (and similar programs) is sort of a strength biased strength and conditioning program. Plenty of people do just fine on pure S&S, but I've heard nothing but good things from people adding a little LSD walking, rucking, or running to it.
That is an excellent way to put it - that S&S is still sort of a "strength biased" strength and conditioning programme.

It was very clear to me that I was missing mobility training when I was ONLY doing S&S for a few months in a row, with almost no hiking/rucking (it being the Canadian winter at the time, so you can understand why!) My walking was a bit ogre-like and when I re-started walking for exercise I was surprised at how HARD it was to walk quickly the first few times!

This is because the majority of an athlete's conditioning needs will be met by practicing their sport and sport specific technical drills.

Plenty of people do just fine on pure S&S, but I've heard nothing but good things from people adding a little LSD walking, rucking, or running to it.

Both of these comments agree almost 100% with my experience

Hello,

S&S with some "animal walks" stretching exercises is a very nice combination. This can be a pretty nice "stand alone" program.

However, S&S can also be considered as a physical preparation to support any other physical activities (hiking, climbing, fighting, etc...). I noticed a far better ability to ruck after S&S for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom