all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The upwards/outwards groove of the military press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CupOfTeaPlease

Level 1 Valued Member
I am looking to add these to my training again*. However, from my ROP days, they have left me with huncing shoulders. A physio I saw about a year ago asked me if I'd done a lot of bench or overhead pressing.

I have never heard anyone else mention this as an issue, so the problem was me and my form. In those days I was just bothered about putting the weight up, I wasn't bothered about correct technique. I just wanted to add muscle.

Now, in my early middle age I can't get away with this approach. Form must be first so I'm not storing-up a whole lot of probs for later on. I am going to see a local(ish) SFG when the law in the UK allows (I am not sure where we're up to, exactly, with this type of service/business being open).

To give me some pointers in the meantime, what is the correct groove up and down for the MP?

Imagine you are looking down, birds eye view. What angle should your humerus be at, for example?

*I had a temporary shoulder issue/injury which stopped me from doing them but it's now fine

Imagine you are looking down, birds eye view. What angle should your humerus be at, for example?

+1 to bottom-up press! It will usually help you find the right groove.

But to answer this question, usually humerus is about 45 degree angle until fist passes the head, then elbow flares out a bit more.

I doubt I could even do a bottoms-up press with the lightest I have, a 16kg! :-D

Should I actively pull my scapulae back as well, do you think?

And is *some* raising of the shoulder inevitable as well as you lock out?

I'd love to upload a video but alas I don't have the kit to do so :-(

I doubt I could even do a bottoms-up press with the lightest I have, a 16kg! :-D

Use chalk if you have it, line your forearm up with the kettlebell (your wrist will be slightly bent, unlike regular pressing), and grip tight! You can assist a bit with the non-working hand... note that the assist with the other hand is not a StrongFirst approved technique, but I think it works OK! It's a good idea to have that other hand ready to catch the bell on the clean if necessary so you don't whack your chin with it if you lose your grip. Practice cleans for a few sessions and you'll be ready to press it after a week or two.

Should I actively pull my scapulae back as well, do you think?

And is *some* raising of the shoulder inevitable as well as you lock out?

Yes, actively pack the shoulder in the rack position and as you start the press (it will feel like the shoulder is moving down as the elbow is moving up), but the shoulder will raise some as you lock out, and I think this is OK.

I am looking to add these to my training again*. However, from my ROP days, they have left me with huncing shoulders. A physio I saw about a year ago asked me if I'd done a lot of bench or overhead pressing.

I have never heard anyone else mention this as an issue, so the problem was me and my form. In those days I was just bothered about putting the weight up, I wasn't bothered about correct technique. I just wanted to add muscle.

Now, in my early middle age I can't get away with this approach. Form must be first so I'm not storing-up a whole lot of probs for later on. I am going to see a local(ish) SFG when the law in the UK allows (I am not sure where we're up to, exactly, with this type of service/business being open).

To give me some pointers in the meantime, what is the correct groove up and down for the MP?

*I had a temporary shoulder issue/injury which stopped me from doing them but it's now fine

I think the three rounds of ROP I did two years ago did cause my upper cross syndrome, or at least worsened it. Dropping the swings when the press volume mounted didn't help either. Nor did my skipping chest and lats stretching.

I think the three rounds of ROP I did two years ago did cause my upper cross syndrome, or at least worsened it. Dropping the swings when the press volume mounted didn't help either. Nor did my skipping chest and lats stretching.

How is it now?

I think the way I did swings didn't help me either. Again, I was just bothered about putting the bell up, not form,and I used to let my shoulders hunch.

So instead of of beinga counterweight to rounding of the shoulders my 'style' of swings worsened it!

Use chalk if you have it, line your forearm up with the kettlebell (your wrist will be slightly bent, unlike regular pressing), and grip tight! You can assist a bit with the non-working hand... note that the assist with the other hand is not a StrongFirst approved technique, but I think it works OK! It's a good idea to have that other hand ready to catch the bell on the clean if necessary so you don't whack your chin with it if you lose your grip. Practice cleans for a few sessions and you'll be ready to press it after a week or two.

Yes, actively pack the shoulder in the rack position and as you start the press (it will feel like the shoulder is moving down as the elbow is moving up), but the shoulder will raise some as you lock out, and I think this is OK.

Thanks for your advice Anna. I have tried shoulder packing in the past as doing the 'anti-shrug' but it tends to not happen if I lift a relatively challenging weight, maybe the scapulae retraction is the key for me.

I shall try it later!

Thanks again, and to everyone else who has advised me.

How is it now?

It's much better now... thanks for asking.

The good news is upper cross syndrome is reversible in short order with targeted stretch/strengthen opposing muscle groups. I'm almost 80% back to normal after a month of multiple daily sessions of thoracic spine foam rolling, chest/lat/upper traps stretching, dead hangs, ab wheel, and loaded chin tucks. The daily heavy swings (S&S) took care of strengthening the mid-back.

Yeah... you need to attack it with vengeance.

At about 3:04 in the standards video there is a good example of the MP:
SFG I Kettlebell Certification Requirements | StrongFirst

A lot of things go into a good press and it starts with the ability to go overhead efficiently and having a healthy neck, good t-spine mobility and "smart" scapulas. If you are lacking in one of these areas it may be the source of the issues (in addition to form issues).

Suppose I wanted to do some bottoms-up presses for this purpose, but the ceiling is too low in my basement. What posture would you recommend? I could kneel, half-kneel, squat, or sit.

Suppose I wanted to do some bottoms-up presses for this purpose, but the ceiling is too low in my basement. What posture would you recommend? I could kneel, half-kneel, squat, or sit.

Experiment which one is the easiest to actually bottom up clean and get to the pressing position you can with the least effort. But to be honest, take those bells for a walk, out the basement.

I have two lightest bells in my living area just for fun, armbars, pullovers, BUP etc.

If I were your coach, I'd want to know your FMS scores. If you have trouble in single leg or split stance, I'd do them in 1/2 kneel. If the pushup and squat are more your issue, I'd do them tall kneeling. If your mov't competency is all good, then I'd tell you to pick one.

At about 3:04 in the standards video there is a good example of the MP:
SFG I Kettlebell Certification Requirements | StrongFirst

A lot of things go into a good press and it starts with the ability to go overhead efficiently and having a healthy neck, good t-spine mobility and "smart" scapulas. If you are lacking in one of these areas it may be the source of the issues (in addition to form issues).

I'm glad you reminded us of this excellent video. Just this morning I noticed that my swing shoulder slightly raises above the other one at the top of the swing even though I let the bell slightly hover there in my hand. I thought I had a form issue. Well, this able young man shows a similar sideways shoulders tip... so I'm good.

Man!!! during the getup, he makes the bell looks as if it's pulling him up like a marionette!!! He has to tame it and pull it down to set it on the ground! Impressive!

This thread makes me wonder about doing this but BU... Am in the middle of total tension complex after doing ROP, and want to do ROP again with next bell up, but considering this as a bit of a break.

I've performed sets of bottom up Strength Aerobics during a session but I think a full session of bottom up work would become too fatiguing. JMO

Did your physio give you isolation exercise to practice for your posterior rotator cuff thingies?

Are your shoulder hunched forward when you are standing up?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom