all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Value of The Bodyweight Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

what is the value of the 2 legged bodyweight squat?

the basic bodyweight squat has always been sort of troubling for me, especially without a counterweight

why do this exercise? what is the value of doing a bodyweight squat vs. a goblet squat, a front squat, or a back squat?

I would venture that it has value because you can do it anywhere, anytime. No special equipment needed. ........

Carl in Dover

what is the value of the 2 legged bodyweight squ
It requires good hip, ankle and knee mobility, so being able to do it is important IMO. It has value as a diagnose tool, and also as an exercise to maintain this mobility. Not being able to perform a bw squat is asking for trouble in the long run, imo.

Goblet squat is good to improve mobility, but since it's an assisted exercise it loses value as a diagnose tool. Front and back squats are strength exercises for whole different purposes (front squat being challenging mobility wise as well, in a different way).

I have enjoyed doing bw squats for sets of about 30 reps when travelling. I found that it really wakes you up. I was once in Cartagena, Colombia, for work, and ended up tired by the afternoon. So I did a 4 sets of bw squats, SLDL and push ups followed by a cold shower and that woke me up for going out at night. So if you ever end up at Cartagena you might find BW squats quite useful.

Probably falls into the bucket of "if you can't do it comfortably, you should do it more. "

I have pretty lousy hip mobility, and I find I can't get to the real bottom of the squat without some weight. I don't know if 2-foot no weight squat is the way to improve it, but it exposes it.

I like to sit for a while in the low position of the bodyweight squat some times a day. I find it can increase my mobility and help me recover from lower body training sessions.

Hello,

I see it as something doable anywhere, anytime, which works a lot on strength, flexibility, coordination and mobility. It is very scalable: pace, ROM, and have a lot of variations (pistol, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been using it to work on my mobility and stability. Unweighted squats with the arms overhead are a great mobility assessment tool.

The bodyweight squat also has great carry over to getting in and out of chairs without making an 'old person grunting noise'.

My son (age 10) asked for a Nintendo 3Ds for his Bday. I agreed on two conditions - he has to log his time on it and keep total play time under 1 hour/day, and he has to do 5 sets of pushups and squats - 10 PUs and 20 bodyweight squats daily.

He boasted the squats were super easy, so now he has to do jumpers for the first ten. Is a great way to get him cleaned up on his form, as I could not keep his lumbar arch correct when doing goblet or front squats with a KB.

Actually, he was very resistant to doing any sort of routine exercise, so giving him a game console conditionally is improving his fitness.

Used as an initial teaching tool, as a warmup, as a check/balance when doing loaded to ensure mobility/motor control isn't decreasing....

Nice idea *lol* I can already see the parents complaining about my methods at our principals office. :mad:
Don't laugh. It happened to my wife. She had kids that were sequestered for lunch, and had them doing push-ups instead of staring at the wall. She made it fun. The kids loved it. But I guess little Johnny mentioned it to his parents and all @&$# broke loose...
That was the end of push-ups at lunch, and my wife supervising them...

Don't laugh. It happened to my wife. She had kids that were sequestered for lunch, and had them doing push-ups instead of staring at the wall. She made it fun. The kids loved it. But I guess little Johnny mentioned it to his parents and all @&$# broke loose...
That was the end of push-ups at lunch, and my wife supervising them...
I know a little J. too...and his parents.

When I was in the Army wall sits were done to add variety the usual gym routine. Are they of any value?

Hello,

When I was in the Army wall sits were done to add variety the usual gym routine. Are they of any value?
Yes they are. However, if I remember well, the strength transfer is only efficient with +/- 30° if the ROM when you do the dynamic move.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Benefits: movement & health.

Do number of reps matching your age as a part of morning recharge. Split it in as many sets as needed.

I prefer the face the wall squats, hands to the side or overhead, palms facing the wall. The start is difficult, but you will see huge improvement just in few weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom