all posts post new thread

Nutrition The Warrior Diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I have noticed that the warrior diet has been referenced quite a bit on the forum. I've been following G Fear guidelines for a while and I feel better for it. However, for the last fortnight I've been doing some
fasted cardio using Maffetone guidelines and dropping out breakfast just having a handful of nuts at about 10.30. It has been effective in dropping b fat...interested in seeing how others feel about the warrior diet.. goal is to retain strength and reduce body fat...

The Warrior Diet has been my approach for a decade or more - works very well for me.

-S-

@conor78 I typically practice the Warrior Diet 3-4 days per week:

Wake: Coffee w/ cream
Mid morning: handful of nuts
2pm: Protein source, fruit
Dinner: Protein, veggies

On the other days I will eat more carbs before noon, such as oatmeal / fruit.

Thanks guys... that all looks "doable"..I'll give it a go for a month and see how I progress with it.

@conor78 I typically practice the Warrior Diet 3-4 days per week:

Wake: Coffee w/ cream
Mid morning: handful of nuts
2pm: Protein source, fruit
Dinner: Protein, veggies

On the other days I will eat more carbs before noon, such as oatmeal / fruit.
Looks pretty easy to keep it. Maybe I'll try it for few weeks and see how it goes for me.

@mikhael Once you become accustomed to the Warrior Diet it is very easy to manage and tweak as needed. Some feel it can get boring, but once you begin to flush out all the BS from your diet, boring doesn't feel like such a big deal anymore. Cool.

I have been following WD last few weeks and I like it, it's philosophy a lot. And I hope to stay with that until something changes. I am also incorporating ideas from anti-estrogentic diet into it.

I have two worries, though.

1. I train at the end of the day (4pM-5PM time frame), and I am beginning to feel light-headed, a sensation of faint, when I dead lift or press. I think this is because of lack of carbs / glucogen in my system.
2. I tend to gain weight around my waist when I eat a heavy meal (chicken/meat/fish and optional carbs) in the night; this is just me, individual.

Because of these, I am thinking of modifying WD a bit: Make my heavy meal (veggies, chicken/meat/fish and optional carbs) a late lunch, at around 2PM-3PM, in an effort to give me energy for the strength training an hour or so later After the training, in the night I will be content with a light meal (protein shake, leafy green salad, nuts, seeds and optional veggies). In a way, I am splitting the PM meal. Rest of the diet remains the same.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Right now I am running with a 16/8 IF. Coffee with cream first thing in the morning, first meal around 1000 consisting of a small salad and hard boiled eggs. I will train around 2-3 and then eat whatever protien and veggies I can get my hands on after. My last meal is around 6 p.m. and I go to bed around 9 p.m. I tried the 20/4 but as others mentioned, I got light headed. Starting next week I am going to start my last meal at 8 p.m. and have my first the next day around 1200, maybe as late as 2 p.m. and see how things feel.

The previous time I did 16/8 it was effective as I was doing some fasted cardio in the morning. @Abdul Rasheed I seem to be same; it doesn't work well for me having a big meal late at night as I normally train at 8 o clock..I haven't followed the warrior diet per se before but I have the book and I'll read over the weekend and see how I'm going to apply it..

When I first went to a 20/4 fast my AM workouts were a bit rough. 2 things made them easier. BCAA's in the AM before training and getting use to being in a 20/4 fast. Now I have no issues. Give it time if you want to explore that option.

I have the warrior diet book and was Very interesting to read but never tried.
Do you think one should up the calories with this type of approach? Or timing doesnt change that much?

If you follow Ori's approach at dinner, its pretty easy to figure out - don't drink much while you're eating, and when you find you're more thirsty than hungry, stop eating.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom