all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Wolf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BP3peat

Level 1 Valued Member
Happy Holidays... I just wanted to share that I finished this brutal beast from GN's MKM today and felt the responsibility to comment on what a great program this is. Used two 20 kg's from KBUSA. If you're looking for a program to absolutely demolish you this is the one. I followed the program as written w/ the exception of the work/rest ratio. I had to stretch the rest on day 3 despite my best efforts . If you do this program you'll understand. Good luck...

I have run quite a few of G N programs, mostly burn extreme and KB strong. The Wolf is a brutal workout. There's a lifetime of programming options in MKM.
Enjoy

How long did you rest?

for my cycle of kettlebell muscle last year, I used 20s but had to extend my rest periods

Week 7 heavy day of the Long Haul in 30 minutes, using Double 20's. 1:1 work/rest ratio.

Honestly, I've done all the workouts in MKM, the only one I can't finish with 20's is the A & P. My grip can't handle 30 seconds of cleans, 30 seconds of swings, 30 seconds of high pulls then 30 seconds of double snatches. For 2 rounds yes, Also, Press,:30 squat :30, push press :30, squat :30 is upper back torture.

I don't have issues on the breathing/conditioning. I get panic when my grip starts to go or the upper back/shoulder start to really fatigue.

Jerk Werk, ladders done in a chain isn't exactly a joy either.

My rest periods were extended by about 30-45 seconds on the heavy days. I didn't time the Day 3 work sets and decided to not sweat the work/rest ratios, just push on thru as best as possible. Just completing the prescribed workout was tough enough for this old man.

I'm looking over the other MKM programs for my next workout. Sir Snatch A lot seems like a nice follow up to the leg dominant The Wolf program.

Question to BrianCF. Did you do the MKM programs back to back ? I was thinking of doing maybe two of the programs and then move on to Strong just to break it up a bit. Don't want to burn out on a constant barrage of complexes.

If I may..

I would suggest up and over or a+p just to strengthen the "loudspeakers" namely the abs and glutes even further since the grip is already getting worked by default

After 12 weeks of complexes, I would recommend 4 weeks of either s and s, easy strength or pttp before embarking on another cycle of complexes

@Mark Limbaga is the authority on this IMO.
One day I'll come back to the wolf. I was far too sore and doing a job that required about 10miles of walking a day when I last embarked on it. Good work

My rest periods were extended by about 30-45 seconds on the heavy days. I didn't time the Day 3 work sets and decided to not sweat the work/rest ratios, just push on thru as best as possible. Just completing the prescribed workout was tough enough for this old man.

I'm looking over the other MKM programs for my next workout. Sir Snatch A lot seems like a nice follow up to the leg dominant The Wolf program.

Question to BrianCF. Did you do the MKM programs back to back ? I was thinking of doing maybe two of the programs and then move on to Strong just to break it up a bit. Don't want to burn out on a constant barrage of complexes.

I don't own Strong.

Yes, you can do 12 weeks of MKM, then go to something simpler and less strenuous for 6-12 weeks.

You could also run a MKM program chain style, fatigue will catch up with you quickly.

I've experimented where I've run 4 MKM programs over 6 days per week. Probably not the smartest thing, but the workouts were so short, I could do it. What holds me back is the double snatching 24's. If they're at the beginning of the set, I can do it, but as the 4th exercise, I'm not taking my head off.

On Saturday did the heavy day of the Long Haul 4 sets with 1:1 work/rest ratio. One of the top 3 toughest workouts I finished this year. 17:30 seconds of misery. The 10 minute SSST seems like a tonic workout compared to it. With this program as I've progressed into the last 1/3 of the program. I'm taking all the days available off. A Minimal Effective Dose.

Yeah the WOLF is awesome. I did a cycle of it a few months back with the 20kg's and it was brutal. Weeks 3 & 6 were just evil. Good stuff. My leg power got insane though!!

Speaking of MKM...Are there any of the programs suitable for the pursuit of 1RM max press?
I am really willing to do a program of MKM (I have it, but never had time to do any of the programs yet), but it should fit with my goal of a 48kg press (still a long way to go though). Any suggestions?

Well more muscle is good and I would say if you are done with a STRENGTH phase and looking for a Hypertrophy program than any of them in MKM would work but Shoulder Smoker might be a good choice. MKM is not for a 1RM building but could be used on the path to there.

Mark L... thanks for the advice. I noticed you have a fan vouching for you. Totally awesome. So taking your advice... I started the A & P today. I was shocked how blown out my shoulders were on the third 30 secs of Push Press. I can see some miserable days in my future. Funny how doable they look on paper but when your in the middle of a set it's anything but. Cheers !!!

Speaking of MKM...Are there any of the programs suitable for the pursuit of 1RM max press?
I am really willing to do a program of MKM (I have it, but never had time to do any of the programs yet), but it should fit with my goal of a 48kg press (still a long way to go though). Any suggestions?

Probably the total tension complex or the moving target complex would be a better choice if you aim to use complexes to build pressing strength

Mark L... thanks for the advice. I noticed you have a fan vouching for you. Totally awesome. So taking your advice... I started the A & P today. I was shocked how blown out my shoulders were on the third 30 secs of Push Press. I can see some miserable days in my future. Funny how doable they look on paper but when your in the middle of a set it's anything but. Cheers !!!

Happy to share insights and learn from everyone posting as well

Well more muscle is good and I would say if you are done with a STRENGTH phase and looking for a Hypertrophy program than any of them in MKM would work but Shoulder Smoker might be a good choice. MKM is not for a 1RM building but could be used on the path to there.

That is how I was looking at it :)

i feel extremely sore in my foreams, lats and upper back, more than the legs. i have to stop the complex few time in 3 and 4 sets. racking position is brutal for me.

Just entering week 6 of the Wolf at the moment with double 16s. Interesting for a squat heavy programme all the pain and tension is in my upper body as well - holding that rack position has my shoulders screaming by the end, just letting the arms drop on the cleans feels like a relief.

I'm doing it with double 16s which I think is too light for me to build strength but allows me to do rest periods as prescribed.

In terms of results so far. I don't think my press strength has increased but I've learnt to double snatch and they feel solid and my legs have noticeably more power and zip when I'm cycling to work and my conditioning has improved as well.

Good programme, nice change from grinds.

Thinking of following it up with Hector's double kettlebell manifesto, but I'll need to expand my bell range - anyone worked through those programmes? Any thoughts on them?

For those who have completed "The Wolf"--

What benefits did you see? I reading a lot of misery, which is cool if you're into that :eek:, but what changed for everyone from the start to the beginning? And how did that stack up with other programs?
I'm curious because I am running @Hector G 's Double KettleBell Manifesto, and am wondering about the road not traveled....

Just entering week 6 of the Wolf at the moment with double 16s. Interesting for a squat heavy programme all the pain and tension is in my upper body as well - holding that rack position has my shoulders screaming by the end, just letting the arms drop on the cleans feels like a relief.

I'm doing it with double 16s which I think is too light for me to build strength but allows me to do rest periods as prescribed.

In terms of results so far. I don't think my press strength has increased but I've learnt to double snatch and they feel solid and my legs have noticeably more power and zip when I'm cycling to work and my conditioning has improved as well.

Good programme, nice change from grinds.

Thinking of following it up with Hector's double kettlebell manifesto, but I'll need to expand my bell range - anyone worked through those programmes? Any thoughts on them?

I would do Genesis just to sharpen your press groove again

For those who have completed "The Wolf"--

What benefits did you see? I reading a lot of misery, which is cool if you're into that :eek:, but what changed for everyone from the start to the beginning? And how did that stack up with other programs?
I'm curious because I am running @Hector G 's Double KettleBell Manifesto, and am wondering about the road not traveled....

Which program from the manifesto are you doing at the moment??

MKM complexes are great for body recomposition and the side effect of more muscle usually serves as a catalyst to build more strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom