all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Wolf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Currently running Shoulder Smoker and Sir Snatchalot on alternate days. Finished week 3 yesterday. Doing the latter as a chain. Pretty miserable on the shoulders.

5 rounds, Double Snatch, Press Squat Double Snatch as a sequence repeat 6 times, 5 rounds.

Did the snatch outside the legs, better hip snap. The press was so fatigued on the 5th and 6th sequence of the last 2 rounds.

13 minutes of misery, used double 45's

As I've said before, the Wolf is fine, your legs get good endurance, but I've gotten greater results with other programs in MKM.

The 2 clean and jerk programs, You Don't Know Squat 2.0, The Long Haul Oh Row 2.00 are incredible. I found doing chains was much harder. But you can't do chains with timed programs.

Currently running Shoulder Smoker and Sir Snatchalot on alternate days. Finished week 3 yesterday. Doing the latter as a chain. Pretty miserable on the shoulders.

5 rounds, Double Snatch, Press Squat Double Snatch as a sequence repeat 6 times, 5 rounds.

Did the snatch outside the legs, better hip snap. The press was so fatigued on the 5th and 6th sequence of the last 2 rounds.

13 minutes of misery, used double 45's

As I've said before, the Wolf is fine, your legs get good endurance, but I've gotten greater results with other programs in MKM.

The 2 clean and jerk programs, You Don't Know Squat 2.0, The Long Haul Oh Row 2.00 are incredible. I found doing chains was much harder. But you can't do chains with timed programs.

greater results in terms of conditioning? body recomposition? strength?

For the uninitiated, would someone mind filling in a newbie with all the acronyms? What is GN's MKM? The Wolf? etc?

For the uninitiated, would someone mind filling in a newbie with all the acronyms? What is GN's MKM? The Wolf? etc?
In our welcome section is a page of acronyms, plus you'll find a few people's suggestions for additions to the list (which I still need to add, btw).

GN is Geoff Neupert, a former master SFG, someone closely associated with Original Strength, and the author of many kettlebell programs including the one you mention, More Kettlebell Muscle.

I am not familiar with all of Geoff's work but I believe the Wolf is one of those programs, and you'd have to have the book to see what it was about.

-S-

greater results in terms of conditioning? body recomposition? strength?

I received better results in regard to body compensation and especially conditioning. The Long Haul goes for 2:30 on heavy day.
From a strength perspective, MKM doesn't deliver as well as Escalated Density Training or other doubles programs. For me, if I'm not pressing 55's or 70's, the old to press a lot you have to press a lot

Looking at the Wolf workout now, Heavy day isn't a lot of fun...15 squats ,gulp.

What I do love about all the programs of MKM are, 20 minutes tops, and you get a lot of bang for your buck in regard conditioning and body comp

What I do love about all the programs of MKM are, 20 minutes tops, and you get a lot of bang for your buck in regard conditioning and body comp

I love that, too! So far, DKBM is similar. Some of the workouts don't even make it to 20 minutes. I am just trusting the programming at this point.

@Mark Limbaga

We shall see *steeples fingers* . You did encourage me to try DKBM, and I'm logging it, so let's see how it goes.
I do think I am firming up a bit in the usual places-Chest, back, shoulders, arms -- and the constant switching of movements is making more sense now, three weeks in.

I finished The Wolf last week.

Background:

I had previously done a cycle of PTTP and then taken about a month off following a calf muscle tear (45 yo-trying-to-keep-up-with-teenage-daughter-running syndrome).

Alongside The Wolf I ran daily dose deadlift and cycled to work 3 days a week (not far, approx 30 mins each way). The cycling is a regular habit over the last 9 months or so. My deadlift is still below 1.5x bodyweight

Coming into The Wolf I felt really quite deconditioned - partly from the the injury lay off but also from PTTP.

I did the programme as written with 2 x 16 kg bells and the prescribed rest periods. This was definitely the right weight for me and I practiced the day 3 (longest) complex for a few days to make sure I could get through it without putting the bells down.

The six weeks of the programme flew by. I really rate Geoff's programming - every week was a bit more challenging than the previous week - except for the slight deload at week 4, but I would say the perceived effort on heavy day each week was comparable.

Outcomes from the programme:

1) Improved conditioning and leg power - really noticed this in the cycling and everyday life (stairs).
2) Increase in work capacity - easy to see this in the programme itself - first week heavy day had 3 complexes longer rests and week 6 had 5 complexes with shorter rest periods - but all completed with similar perceived exertion.
3) No injuries - calf, shoulder, knees everything survived.
4) Slight drop in resting pulse rate (64 to 60) but not really enough data points to confirm this.
5) Slight increase in bodyweight - not desired but if anything jeans were looser around the waist and slightly tighter round the thighs. No real noticeable difference in body composition.
6) Felt really good - no soreness, no DOMS, just felt and moved better.
7) The programme sat very nicely alongside DDD, on medium and heavy days I just did my dealifts in the morning and Wolf in the evening.
8) At least half competent at double snatches now.
9) No significant changes in body composition - for the record I'm 1 m 85 cm tall and 115 kg (not all of it muscle...) so it will take a lot of work to drive a noticeable change
10) Don't feel there has been any increase in pressing strength.

And a couple of really speculative / lighthearted ones -

1) I swear my beard is growing quicker
2) The heavy days were hard enough to give me the kind of 1000 yard stare that means no-one tries to sit next to me on public transport.

Summing up:

I enjoyed it - the rate of increase in difficulty across the programme was perfect. It has really helped my conditioning coming off an injury lay-off / PTTP. I think it would be an ideal 6-week pre-season strength and conditioning programme for weekend warriors.

I would look to do it again once I can do the complexes with 2 x 20 kg - maybe later in the summer.

For those who have completed "The Wolf"--

What benefits did you see? I reading a lot of misery, which is cool if you're into that :eek:, but what changed for everyone from the start to the beginning? And how did that stack up with other programs?
I'm curious because I am running @Hector G 's Double KettleBell Manifesto, and am wondering about the road not traveled....
i felt leaner. veins were every where. better endurance: running without being tired, chasing the ball on the field all the time. didn't feel much change in my legs, but upper body strength and endurance increases nicely: i did 100 presses and 100 squat and 30 snatches with double 20 in 1 hours- without being tired

I've been eyeing this program for a while. I'm back to a few weeks/months of S&S after a stint of Pay Flynn's Prometheus Protocol. Literally every thursday was the hardest workout of my life on that program.

I also have Hector's Double KB Manifesto, excited to dive into that as well. 2019 will be the year of the beast.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom