all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Wolf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Starting the New Year with a 6 week Wolf cycle. I'm using 2x16kg.

Is it just me, or does this workout seem short? Granted, I'm only on Day 2, but I find myself finishing in 10 minutes or so. Seems too good to be true.

I don't have any heavier double bells, just a single 24kg.

It's a good workout. As always with his workouts, don't get fooled by the time. On week 6, you'll long for the ease.

Are the 16's too light for you?

If so here are 2 things you can do.

1. Run it as a chain vs. a complex
So, on day 3, repeat the sequence 5 x
Snatch x 1, squat x 1, press x 1, etc.
I find chains MUCH more fatiguing.

2. Do the Wolf as a complex, run another program as a chain on 3 other days. The Shoulder Smoker or Upper Back Attack would work well here.

He also recommends a brisk walk after your workout as well.

I've done all of them with 20's. The only on I can't complete is the A + P with 20's. If you were doing the Long Haul, I would recommend only doing that complex, but with the 6 week ones, you can run concurrently.

I’m trying to get my head around chains

Let’s say a workout prescribes

Front squat 5x
Snatch 5x
Swing 5x

Would a chain mean

1 front squat, 1 snatch, 1 swing = 1 rep
1 front squat, 1 snatch, 1 swing = 2 reps
Until 5 reps == 1 set?

It creeps up on you in that you're doing 5 sets/75 squats in under 20 minutes. with a rest period of 1:1.5 . So if it takes you 80 seconds to do the set, rest 2 minutes and you're at it again.

There are definitely other programs that I thought were killers more than the Wolf. Both Jerk programs, the Up and Over was dreadful on day 3.

I have a question. Today, when we have s&s, strong endurance protocols, A+A swing and snatches, etc...why would someone decide to do such a program like the wolf from geoff? Or any other simmilar "killer" program?

I have a question. Today, when we have s&s, strong endurance protocols, A+A swing and snatches, etc...why would someone decide to do such a program like the wolf from geoff? Or any other simmilar "killer" program?

Excellent question. Don’t know the answer myself, although it may be helpful mentally to know you can tough things out occasionally. Physically i wonder if there is a benefit

1. Metabolic Conditioning will help you burn fat much more efficiently.
2. Build muscle
3. They're FUN to do.
4. They're time efficient.
5. You get to do different exercises.

When I first started using kettlebells 10 years ago, what drew them to me was lifting and conditioning at the same time. My strength soared. If I did just the program minimum or simple and sinister, I never would have stuck with it.

All these programs you mentioned are good programs, but they become boring.

I don't love S + S as a program. As a finisher to a workout, sure, but not as a main course for more than a month

The TGU is a good exercise and so is the one hand swing, but they're not the end all be all.
I think the ROP is lacking in the squat department, but that's ok, do them on variety days.
I'd rather snatch, 5,5 on the minute for 20 minutes or 10, 10 with a minute rest for 10 sets. That to me is more fun.

If you want to challenge yourself, and see how good you really are in the TGU and have passed Simple. Take a 24, press it snatch it and get it in the overhead position. Now do the Get Down first, then the Get Up. Switch hands, don't put bell down just clean and press it. Try this for 10-15 minutes.

Or, instead of a goblet squat, clean a 24 or a 32, hold it in the rack and do squat ladders. Good for the obliques

Try 20 two hand swings on the minute for 20 minutes, let me know how your grip is.

Finally:
Take a 20 or a 24
1 hand swing x 5
Snatch x 5
Clean and Press x 5
Lunge x 5
Row x 5,
Switch hands, and repeat

Do 3-5 rounds of this.

I feel it's unfortunate, that this forum is so conditioned to S + S and A + A . Pushing yourself once in a while is fun

I'm turn 50 this year. Even though I've done it in the past and did 93 earlier last year. My only goal is to get 100 with a 25kg kettlebell. I can do 109 with a 20 without putting the bell down.

Here is my rationale, its personal to me, so don't take it as gospel :)

1. I have been doing S&S w/ 24kg for nearly 6 months. Achieved the time standard and ready for something new to keep myself mentally on board. I still plan to do S&S on the rest days, assuming I can handle the workload. I'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks :)

2. I have limited time with a toddler, so I need to do workouts that are 20 minutes or less. S&S fits the bill, so does GN programs

3. I'm looking to lose a little bit of weight from the holidays, and other GN programs have helped accelerate fat loss because of the short rest intervals, volume, and variety of the exercises.

4. Double Kettlebell work is pretty fun. There is an odd satisfaction about it. My heaviest bell is a single 24kg, so I feel like using 2x16kg gives me more weight to push, esp in the squat department.

5. I don't plan to do The Wolf forever. I plan to complete it in 6 weeks, and then move on to something else. Most likely trying to work on 32kg S&S standards.

because they work. have you seen the results reported for some of G. Neupert programs?

I haven't done these yet, will do them from time to time after I reach Simple. Most of them only last 6 weeks, nothing bad will happen if we push ourselves for 6 weeks and then return to our easy strength.

Starting the New Year with a 6 week Wolf cycle. I'm using 2x16kg.

Is it just me, or does this workout seem short? Granted, I'm only on Day 2, but I find myself finishing in 10 minutes or so. Seems too good to be true.

I don't have any heavier double bells, just a single 24kg.
don't worry, it will be hard enough...sooner than you think :) typing about the wolf make my foream sore :D

@malleus Pardon me, if I take this in an unintended direction or if I get too heady. I think something needs to be said about skill level, but not just in the conventional sense. Any doubles program should sit on a foundation of single bell work that solidifies a "practice" not just an "accomplishment- like I finished the Wolf with 20's, 24's..."(not that there is anything wrong with that). At the very least, single bell work is an obvious precursor to more advanced movements, which some may not be ready. However, part of the S&S yield is developing the skills of tension, relaxation, integrative movement, self-assessment, self-awareness, and other "intangibles" that lead to what I would call a "deeper" practice. This may trump the potential outcomes of a "killer" program. The realitively well-known conversation for "owning" a bell is rooted in these somewhat difficult to quantify characteristics that start to appeal to a practioner that may be seeking, or senses something, outside the confines of the physical manifestation of our endeavours. The simplicity of S&S/A&A, at least from my perspective, aligns with this, potentially, deeper sense of fullfilment from an individual's practice or discipline. Having said that, I love doubles, I have finished the Wolf, I love the "suck!" I love the challenge, Doubles are massive fun! I love a good ol' courage corner. I obtained "gains" from the complexes that I performed, but, frankly, these "gains" are minute compared with the tools that can be gleaned from the simpler/foundational programs. It's amazing how these KB's speak in so many ways to so many people.

1. They work

2. Certain Strong endurance protocols require multiple sessions throughout the day and when your sked can be unpredictable, a shorter practice session would be the wiser choice

3. They work

They work

For what aims?

What goals do they help you achieve? I’m only asking because I think specificity around goals is important.

I spent the past 6 months doing A + A snatches and slow cardio. The cardio was hard to keep up due to my busy schedule. What I noticed was that the cardiovascular markers that I try to maintain (low resting HR and low blood pressure) required the slow cardio with A + A training. Just the snatches were not enough. I switched to the ROP three weeks ago and this time did the swings as prescribed, as a type of HIIT. I have noticed that my HR and blood pressure are falling. I suspect that HIIT protocols are better for cardiovascular markers than HIRT protocol unless they are supplemented with slow aerobic conditioning.

Complex based programs like KBM and MKM strike me as a type of extended HIIT that would also provide hypertrophy training. Yes?

This would be in contrast to programs that have less of a hypertrophy focus and are more strength focused like S & S for singles or KB Strong for doubles. The ROP (including pull ups) strikes me a a nice balance of strength, aesthetics and conditioning. I know that the hypertrophy of the ROP has been questioned but my experience is that nothing looks better on me than 75 pull ups.

What goals do they help you achieve? I’m only asking because I think specificity around goals is important.

Great question, for myself I'm trying to achieve:

1. Fat loss - targeting 5lb after the cycle. Curious to see if I re-comp, or just lose weight. I'm following the GN recommended diet w/ limiting carbs in the beginning of the book.

2. Hypertrophy - The additional press/squat work in the program should lend itself to more definition or larger muscles. We will see what happens, I will report back.

This is a short term program, so really from a training perspective it is just introducing some variety, until I get back on a heavier S&S journey.

For what aims?

I spent the past 6 months doing A + A snatches and slow cardio. The cardio was hard to keep up due to my busy schedule. What I noticed was that the cardiovascular markers that I try to maintain (low resting HR and low blood pressure) required the slow cardio with A + A training. Just the snatches were not enough. I switched to the ROP three weeks ago and this time did the swings as prescribed, as a type of HIIT. I have noticed that my HR and blood pressure are falling. I suspect that HIIT protocols are better for cardiovascular markers than HIRT protocol unless they are supplemented with slow aerobic conditioning.

Complex based programs like KBM and MKM strike me as a type of extended HIIT that would also provide hypertrophy training. Yes?

This would be in contrast to programs that have less of a hypertrophy focus and are more strength focused like S & S for singles or KB Strong for doubles. The ROP (including pull ups) strikes me a a nice balance of strength, aesthetics and conditioning. I know that the hypertrophy of the ROP has been questioned but my experience is that nothing looks better on me than 75 pull ups.

In my experience, This specific complex helps with body recomposition goals and it helps build a good platform for better pressing strength

SF happens to focus on "park bench" strength programs. Pavel has, however, written about hypertrophy and "bus bench" training, e. g. in Beyond Bodybuilding.

Since you are probably planning to train another couple of years this is not a either/or decision. There is a time for everything.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom