all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thinking of plunging for S & S...But a few Qs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PackMan

Level 1 Valued Member
The rave reviews and lavish praise from strength gurus cannot be ignored so I have given in and re-purchased the Kindle version.

A few Qs:

1. Can I/should I keep the mobility warmup to 5 minutes or under? I shouldn't need to rest after each set of 5, should I...?

2. What type of physique will result? I know this is by far not the prime concern of us here (M & F is that way >) but I do want to have a physique that reflects the fact I train regularly (lean, densely-muscled) and will I be happy with this aspect of S & S?

As I'm just starting, I can't answer the second question. But for the warmups, they usually take me 5-7 minutes. You don't have to rest, but just don't short change the actual moves by rushing. On at least one of the squats, really pry and stretch out those hips. On the halos, try to avoid using momentum to get the reps out fast. Let each segment of the movement be controlled by the proper muscles. For the glute bridges, push through the bridge for the full 3 seconds that Pavel suggests on each rep.

Also note that once you are doing 10 sets of swings (after the break in period), the time it takes to finish a session will look a lot different than the testing time outlines in the book. Whereas the test is a 5 minute swing session, a normal session will take 10-20 minutes on the swings. Same for the TGU. So you can expect your S&S sessions to take from 30-50 minutes from the first goblet squat to the end of the last get-up. Realistically, set aside a full hour for the session so you don't feel rushed, you will likely never need a full hour unless your aerobic recovery needs to catch up for a few weeks on the swings.

For me, I really work through my warm up, and it takes me maybe 10-15 minutes. But I pry my squats a lot more and make sure I am letting the warm up warm me up. I take 1-2 minutes in between warm up sets to clear my area(I have an active 2 year old and live in an apartment and I clean his toys up), get my kettlebells out, sip a little water, talk pep in my head, and make sure I feel like my systems are booting up. In some ways, my warm up is partially psychological, as there are days when I am tired or not always gung ho to start swinging. I let my warm up get me psychologically ready, and it usually works very well for that purpose.

Physically (I am 6ish months into this program), I am leaning out (I was not overweight to start, but I am leaner now), I feel faster, more mobile and way more athletic than when I lifted only barbells. And I am continually excited about the program.

Physique wise, you will get what you aim for when you stick for some time with it. For a reference look to Pavel Macek's training log, and take a look to his strength and conditioning disciple Victor Pesta.

Packman - I came to S&S as a simple programme to fit in with what was a very busy period of doing some intense renovation on a property. Fat loss for me was of no concern - I had been the same weight, size for a couple of years after a period of fat loss and regular, albeit, random training. I lost 9 lb, despite eating like a ravenous zombie flesh eater. Had to buy new jeans. I'm not a big guy at all, very average, large/medium shirts t shirts and had been a 34 inch jeans waist for most of adult life, slightly bulging one before I lost weight in the previous couple of years. My jeans are now at 32, medium t shirts make me me look like I'm having a bit of a mid life sexual awakening crisis, kind of cringy to my teenagers which I find embarrassing and proud at depending on the circumstances! I'm 51 and am approx the same weight now as I was before S&S, so lost 9 lb and put it all back on again as muscle. My back feels like it is someone else's, as if I'm wearing some protective shield. I guess if you want to get strong then muscle comes into the situation but it is unintended, in a way, welcome though it is, size and mass are not on my radar. I've never put on muscle. Even as a strong athletic kid, I looked puny and whilst I've always been athletic-ish most of my life, I look like an athlete now at my age even. Weird stuff happens with the 32. My diet hasn't changed, I eat light in the day and like a pig in the evening. Mostly good food with the odd diversion, it is odd though ie huge tub of ice cream at the theatre (darling) last night and I'm gluten free. Get your diet right and S&S is what you make it, fat loss, yes, muscle gain, yes, athleticism, yes, youth and vigour, yes but body comp is diet, mostly, if you get it right, for you.
Enjoy the journey, a masterful Pavelian programme. I've learned so much from it and it has given a lot back in return. For the record, I'm about 170lbs or so, 5'10, 10/12% fat as measured by probably unreliable plastic calipers nipping at just above my hip bone. Dodgy Measurements or not, my jeans are 32, like they were when I was 21 when I was strong and fast, in my prime. Either way, calipers or not, I'm lean.Anything is possible with S&S. There are many side effects that are not printed on the prescription label of S&S, a new wardrobe is one of them.

Ali, that's a great, and funny, testimony! Be proud, man, great work! And thank-you to you all for your thoughts.

I think I was being optimistic about the timings...I know I will (rightly) be shot down for this but I may just do one set of each warmup drill. I will be doing the program at least 5 times a week so hope that the frequency makes up for my omissions, somewhat.#

I had a go at the swing section yesterday, just to see how long. Took about 15 mins (with a 24) and was quite comfortable, so hopeful that time will fall.

By way, I am not looking to compress time because of idleness - life is crazy at the moment (I know it is for most if us, but this is REALLY crazy - I am acting as a carer - but one who lives 15 mins away from the care-ee, with several visits a day, and trying to be self-employed during whatever other time I have!).

I came to S&S as a simple programme to fit in with what was a very busy period
@ali, please contribute to the "I Achieved S&S Simple" thread if you haven't already. What you wrote above would be fine exactly as it is.

Thanks.

-S-

Steve, yes I've been meaning to but......not got to simple yet! I have a heap load of hr data that I said to Al I would post too. Once it is gathered I was intending to post the data just as hard data, for a quantitative perusal of the process. I have a tendency, as I'm sure many can attest!, to going off on many tangents and talking a lot of nonsense, especially after a couple glasses of red. So, once I get there, I will and give it a thorough going over before posting it, making sure I've not been influenced by too much Rioja. And learn to use the edit function a bit better!

Packman - I'm no kind of athletic figure but in my experience you'll get bigger or at least denser glutes and traps in particular - I didn't even know what trapezius muscles were until I started swinging 24 kg. And the get-ups will bullet-proof your shoulders.

It's a great and simple programme.

if lean and dense is what you're after you've found the right program!
Stick it out for a lot of time and you will look like an athletic version of yourself (my wife says I look like a narrower Pavel now, which of course is not true, I am much better looking! :p)

Now then, forget about the looks, it will make you feel bulletproof and give you the stamina to outrun that same bullet, much more important! Muscles size is way overrated, what it will give you is walking and standing with confidence, and that trumps looks any day!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom